3rd Trimester

Taking the 3-hour glucose test twice??

Hi, all!

This is half me venting and half wanting to hear other experiences.

A while back, I took the 1-hour GD test and failed so my doctor ordered the 3-hour test. I took that and passed. It was excruciating, by the way!

We recently had to have another ultrasound at 32 weeks (I'm 34 now) and everything looked great, except there was an excess of amniotic fluid. My doctor said this is normally the result of a defect or GD, but the baby looked perfect.

They tested my blood sugar at the ultrasound and it was normal. However, the doctor who did the ultrasound is ordering another 3-hour glucose test!!

I just found this out today, 2 weeks after the ultrasound, so I guess it's not that imperative that it be done soon. My doctor did not find sugar in my urine at today's prenatal either.

I know it could be worse and I shouldn't be griping, but I'm upset I have to do this awful test again! Does anyone have any experience with something like this or words of comfort (or you can just tell me to quit whining too, I guess)?

Re: Taking the 3-hour glucose test twice??

• Like, how much more fluid? do you know the numbers?

But yes, if you do have polyhydrominos, it could be the cause of GD.

I think your Dr. Is just trying to rule that out first.

Did you have your sequential screening, or quad screenings yet? That would also look for abnormalities, which again, could cause excess fluid.  

Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • I guess the doc is just being extra careful to rule out GD. Better to be extra careful then not, I guess. Yes, it sucks. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • cjm724cjm724 member
    imagetinydancerpammy:

A while back, I took the 1-hour GD test and failed so my doctor ordered the 3-hour test. I took that and passed. It was excruciating, by the way!

Excruciating....? Really...? Unless you continuously vomited, passed out and got a concussion, I really doubt it was that bad. I took the 3 hr and just felt hungry and got a small head ache for a few hours after. It really WASN'T excruciating.

Like PP said, just call your Dr to clarify. 

• Just because that was your experience with this test doesn't mean everyone else's bodies react the same way. I did pass out for the last hour of the test, had to pull over on the way home to throw up, and had a headache for the rest of the day. This is a forum for support, not to demean others and prove what a bad*ss you are. I'm sure if you had been told you had to take it again, you wouldn't exactly be that excited either.
  • Thanks for your responses, everyone. I know they did the quad screening and there were no abnormalities. Also none on this ultrasound 2 weeks ago. The AFI sum was 26.4 cm and I guess it's supposed to be 24. I think I just need to shut up and do it. It just bugs me since I just did the test not more than a month ago and I know that even if the test comes back positive this time, all they can do is change my diet. I'm just thankful my little guy is in good health! I just wondered if anyone else had run into this same problem and what the result was.
  • hazy19hazy19 member
    My dr routinely does the glucose test at 16 weeks and 28 weeks!  I failed the  1 hr at 16 weeks so I had to do the three hr then and again next week!  Fun!  Three days of being stuck with needles sucks!  Hope all works out well for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm in a similar situation and totally understand how much you do NOT want to do the 3-hour again! I passed it fine the first time, but our LO is measuring big (90th percentile for both height and weight) so my OB wants to repeat the 3-hour to make sure it is not GD causing him to be big. I go Friday morning and am most definitely not looking forward to it. Bleck : (
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary

• imagetinydancerpammy:
    Just because that was your experience with this test doesn't mean everyone else's bodies react the same way. I did pass out for the last hour of the test, had to pull over on the way home to throw up, and had a headache for the rest of the day. This is a forum for support, not to demean others and prove what a bad*ss you are. I'm sure if you had been told you had to take it again, you wouldn't exactly be that excited either.

Right! No shiit no one wants to do that test again! It's def. not fun starving your self, drinking sugar, and feeling sick almost the rest of the day...not to mention all those needle sticks!

I feel for you chick! I would not want to go in and retake that 3 hour again. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Hopefully you don't have it, and hopefully everything stays okay with LO with the elevated AFI. FX that they figure it out.

GL!

• Personally, I wish they had done another glucose test on me with my first pregnancy.  Initially they gave me the one hour test, which I failed also.  I passed the three hour test and so they never ordered another.  Long story short, my son was born with every symptom of a gestational diabetic baby (preterm, low calcium, low magnesium, low blood sugar, jaundice, respiratory issues, very large, etc.)  Had they run another test later on, they may have caught it :)

I agree that this test totally stinks.....I absolutely hate the taste of glucola (although I prefer the orange kind to the lemon lime).  But it's a simple blood test and it'll help to know if you do have GD :)  Hang in there.

• when i was doing my growth check ultrasounds the technician mentioned that she had heard of people being tested for GD another time after the original time. i think it came up b/c i had passed my 1 hour w/DS and then when i was in the hospital for 24 hour bedrest/monitoring from 30 weeks to 34w6d, somewhere early on they repeated the 1 hour, 1 failed and they just put me on a GD diet.

no one wants to have to deal w/GD, but it isn't terrible and at this stage, you won't have to deal with it as long, at least. :)

"A friend loves at all times..." Pr. 17:17 MY GOOGLEPAGES BIO imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagetinydancerpammy:
    Thanks for your responses, everyone. I know they did the quad screening and there were no abnormalities. Also none on this ultrasound 2 weeks ago. The AFI sum was 26.4 cm and I guess it's supposed to be 24. I think I just need to shut up and do it. It just bugs me since I just did the test not more than a month ago and I know that even if the test comes back positive this time, all they can do is change my diet. I'm just thankful my little guy is in good health! I just wondered if anyone else had run into this same problem and what the result was.

I don't have the same scenario, but i'm dealing with olighydraminos. Since 2 weeks ago i've been doing weekly non stress tests until I deliver. It's a pain, but its reassuring that my baby is doing good. 

I don't think it would hurt to maybe alter your diet before your glucose test. Skip the pasta and breads, and limit yourself to sweets. Instead of bleached rice or pasta, eat whole grain. 

I hope everything goes well 

Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • That's against the typical medical protocol which suggests carb loading for 3 days before the test to make sure your body is primed to produce insulin to deal with the onslaught of sugar. You can actually get a bad result by skipping carbs before the test. 

OP, you might be able to skip the test if you offer to do finger pricks and follow a diabetic diet. If the test was that brutal for you (I had to do the 3 hr with my 1st and have sympathy for you) than in might be worth the tradeoff.  

imagerpalen29:

imagetinydancerpammy:
    Thanks for your responses, everyone. I know they did the quad screening and there were no abnormalities. Also none on this ultrasound 2 weeks ago. The AFI sum was 26.4 cm and I guess it's supposed to be 24. I think I just need to shut up and do it. It just bugs me since I just did the test not more than a month ago and I know that even if the test comes back positive this time, all they can do is change my diet. I'm just thankful my little guy is in good health! I just wondered if anyone else had run into this same problem and what the result was.

I don't have the same scenario, but i'm dealing with olighydraminos. Since 2 weeks ago i've been doing weekly non stress tests until I deliver. It's a pain, but its reassuring that my baby is doing good. 

I don't think it would hurt to maybe alter your diet before your glucose test. Skip the pasta and breads, and limit yourself to sweets. Instead of bleached rice or pasta, eat whole grain. 

I hope everything goes well 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"