Pre-School and Daycare

RP: Potty Training and Diapers: both are a fail at this point

I also posted this on the toddler 24+ board:

My LO is 2 years 8 months.  She kicks and screams and violently resists getting her diaper changed.  She does the same thing when I suggest using the potty.  She's used it and knows how, but refuses.  I went through a week of forcing her to try the potty and she turned into a raging you-know-what.  

I'm reading books on potty training. She comes in the bathroom with me every time I use it and knows how everything works. I know she's ready, and her doctor even said that she's more than ready.  The only suggestion the doctor had was to have play dates with kids who are her age and potty trained.  Two problems--I rarely have time for play dates, and I seriously do not know anyone with 2-3-year-old potty trained kids.  

I know she is an impulsive and spirited child, but why must she resist everything?   This summer she's just running around naked, I swear.  I can't handle much more.   

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

I have a blog and it isn't about babies or motherhood or my life. It's just about eating, drinking, and traveling: Explore and Eat

Re: RP: Potty Training and Diapers: both are a fail at this point

• I would let it go. Try in a month if she is interested. My DD wanted to wear underwear. We also bribed her with mms, one for pee, one for poop.
    Bottom line if she is resisting this bad it won't happen.
    Elmo has a potty video which was cute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd back off. Pushing her to use the potty will likely cause her to resist it even more. I know the kicking, screaming diaper changes aren't any fun, either, but I would just keep her in diapers for now and deal with that. Try again after a month or two of no encouragement or move towards putting her on the potty, act like it's something new and different you haven't already tried. If she feels like she's a little more in control of the situation she may respond better.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • your daughter sounds a lot like DD1.  We got her a potty watch, and it blinked and sang a song every half hour and then she peed.  She got 1 m&M for trying, 2 for actually going, and 5 for pooping on the potty.

We put the power back in her hands and that helped a lot.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks, ladies!  I'll try some of these.  Bribery hasn't really worked, and I've tried a lot of things--stickers, band-aids, ice cream, candy, cupcakes.   She's on to me.  ;)

I have definitely backed off on forcing it and now I just casually ask once in a while if she wants to try it.  The answer is always no, so I know she will just use it when she is ready.  I just really wish the diaper changes were easier, because I don't mind waiting. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

I have a blog and it isn't about babies or motherhood or my life. It's just about eating, drinking, and traveling: Explore and Eat

• My dd gave me a run for my money for diaper changes - especially poop, they were horrible. And, like your dd I knew she was ready and could use the potty, it was just waiting until she wanted to.

I tried 2 times and both times ended in tears of frustration. Finally she decided one day and that was that, for the most part. She got Hershey kisses as her prize after a few success - something about peeling open that silver wrapper! And, I also had a gift bag of stuff from the dollar store on the counter that she'd earn one prize as well after some successful trips.  The lure and magic of what could be in that bag seemed to be the icing and what really made this stick because she couldn't wait to see what prize I'd bust out next.

Good Luck!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"