Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Choking and gurgling when feeding

I'm wondering if what happens to my baby during feedings are normal. She often chokes when she's drinking her formula. I keep her head upright but she still ends up choking typically at least once during each feeding, sometimes more often. It always freaks me out, and I don't know what else to do to prevent it.

Also, when she's done eating, she makes a gurgling sound while she breathes, as if she has phlegm in the back of her throat. Perhaps it's just residual formula? It goes away, but I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Choking and gurgling when feeding

• Options
    =Lee=B=Lee=B member

What size nipple are you using?

Are you holding the bottle so she has to work to get the formula out or holding ti so it just pours in her mouth?

• Options
    This happens to my LO as well.  I've also been wondering about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    If your positioning doesn't change this effect and if the bottle/nipple sizes are correct, these could be signs of reflux.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    Ds has reflux and that is what causes his throat clearing noises after v eating. He also sounds congested a lot as a result.
  • Options
    We're using Dr. Brown's size 1 nipples. I'll have to bring these things up at her 2 month appointment to see if she has acid reflux. She sometimes gets fussy and tense during feedings, but when I stop and burp her, she calms down, so I wasn't thinking she could have acid reflux.
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    There's also silent reflux and she may not necessarily have all of the symptoms. DS just started getting super hard to feed within the last week and as I suspected, it was all gas. We switched to a sensitive formula yesterday and literally the first bottle on the new stuff worked wonders. He was super fussy, arched his back, wouldn't calm down until he was done eating, and wouldn't take the whole bottle. I knew it wasn't reflux, something just told me it wasn't but that it was a gas issue.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    Had same issue I switched to preemie nipples rarely have choking problem now..my LO eats likes she never has before that's why she was choking..she is a piggy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"