Baby Names

Liesel?

Thoughts on the name Liesel?

We prefer that spelling to Liesl, but aren't against using this spelling.  We would probably use Kathryn (family name) for the middle name.  

Her name would be: Liesel Kathryn Green

DD1 is Noelle Marie (Green)

Does it work together?

Other suggestions? 

ETA: Since a lot of people aren't familiar with the name...

PRONOUNCED: LEE-zel 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Liesel?

• I had to look it up. Looks like its pronounced Lee zel. Is that correct? It could grow on me but I think you / your daughter will have a lot of issues with spelling and pronounciation.
  • I like it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemj.reilly:

I kind of like it, but it is not my favorite of the Elisabeth variants. I prefer Liesl, though.

ETA: Come on people, have you never heard of the incredibly famous Sound of Music?! Really?

Sound of Music was my first thought. I like it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hmdhmd member

I like it, and I like the middle name and think it goes well with Noelle.  

How has anyone not heard of this name?  : ) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Liesl better as a spelling but not by much!  I really like this name, it is really pretty and I've known a few who were all super nice so no negative associations.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• imageDarbie914:

My first thought is how do you pronounce it?  Gut reaction is Diesel and if it's pronounced like that, I am not a fan.

Second thought, it doesn't sound feminine at all.  I could probably get on board if it was for a boy but I don't see girl in this name at all.

Third, it seems kind of harsh next to Noelle Marie.

Suggestions:

Leslie

Laura

Lauren

Lillian

Elizabeth 

It means "Elizabeth" in German, so it is definitely all girl :) (The oldest daughter in The Sound of Music) We love Lauren, but SIL is Laura, so that is out. The rest are definitely NMS, but thank you! Difficulty in pronunciation is something we are taking into consideration, so this is helpful! 

• imageLivvyKH:
    I really like Liesl, but be aware that it rhymes with weasel. My sister had a classmate who was often called "Liesl the weasel" due to her unfortunately large front teeth and mousy brown hair. If either of these traits run in your family, I might suggest using a different name. 

Lol! I never even thought of that!

We have (curly) blonde hair and blue eyes here, so I'm not super concerned :) 

• April!April! member
    I like it! My mom has a friend whose daughter is named Liesel. She is in her mid 20s and pronounces it Lee-sull. It's cute with Noelle too.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 9/5/2012 -- Born 5/20/2013 -- Welcome, rainbow baby!
    BFP #1 1/24/12 -- No HB 2/16/12 -- Misoprostol 3/10/12
    image image image
  • I went to school with a Liesel (now in her 30s).  Pretty name.

I like it and think it sounds good with Noelle.   

• Love it. Ever since The Sound of Music. It was on my list for DS, but he's a boy, so Liesel was out!
    I feel its Germany and I'm 1/4 German!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I LOVE Liesel!  I think it makes a great sibset with Noelle.

• I love the name (and The Sound of Music) and I think it goes very nicely with your daughter's name.
  • I prefer Liesl toLiesel.  I think it goes well with Noelle.

I like it :) 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • I like it, but it's quite German, so if she'll have a last name that's very Spanish/Italian/Irish/Chinese, etc it might be awkward. I prefer the spelling Liesl. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • imagemj.reilly:

I kind of like it, but it is not my favorite of the Elisabeth variants. I prefer Liesl, though.

ETA: Come on people, have you never heard of / watched the incredibly famous Sound of Music?! Really....seriously...?!

Maria and Georg von Trapp. Children: Liesl, Friedrich, Louisa, Kurt, Brigitta, Marta, Gretl

so glad you posted this! 

• imagehmd:

I like it, and I like the middle name and think it goes well with Noelle.  

How has anyone not heard of this name?  : ) 

Every word of this. 

Anniversary 
  • I like it on someone else's child. It does remind me of The Sound of Music at first, but then I would associate the name with the child not the movie.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I love Liesl and prefer it without the added e. MH shot it down, so I will live vicariously through you if you choose it!
    DD 9/2/13

• imagemsmerymac:
    I like it, but it's quite German, so if she'll have a last name that's very Spanish/Italian/Irish/Chinese, etc it might be awkward. I prefer the spelling Liesl. 

DH is 100% German and I am 75% German. Our last name is German as well :) 

• bwralcbwralc member
    I think it sounds harsh and not very feminine. Your daughter Noelle's name is gorgeous though.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Love this name. I immediately think of Sound of Music, but that's a great association in my mind. I say it more like Lee Sull or Lee Suhl.
  • It definitely reminds me of The Sound of Music but I like it.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Love it. It would be on my list, but it rhymes with DS.

• Love it!!! It is on my list of names I love.  My DH doesn't care for is so much :( so it will be out for me when the time comes.

DD #1 5.4.14  
    EDD #2 5.4.17

• MarseeMarsee member
    I really like it, spelled Liesl. For some reason though, I don't think I could use it. But if you want to, I think it's beautiful!
    imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never heard of it IRL and I didn't get the SOM reference.  I would have though it was a strange and unusual name, but since it reflects your cultural heritage I don't think it should matter what anyone on TB thinks.   

• g8trkimg8trkim member
    I like it. It immediately makes me think of Sound of Music which I love.

• BC&LMBC&LM member
    It makes me think of the Sound of Music, but that's a good association. I don't think I would ever use it personally, but it's a respectable name that I would like on someone else's child.
  • I just don't care for how it sounds. I think it looks nice spelled Liesl, but it's nms.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I like it, because the one I know IRL is an amazing woman.
  • I love it, different and pretty.  As a disclaimer our daughter is Greta Noelle so I may be partial to these names :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've loved it ever since watching the Sound of Music incessantly as a kid.  I actually suggested it for my baby, but DH shot it down really fast!  I think it goes well with Noelle, and sounds nice with the mn Kathryn.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a good friend through school named Lisle which was pronounced Lee-sull as pp already mentioned.

She was amazingly intelligent and really ambitious and the name has nothing but positive connotations for me, plus SOM.

Formerly known as KJLx121.
  • Love it and use it myself. As for leezul sounding harsh your daughter may decide to soften the pronunciation to leesul. I swing between the two depending on my mood.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"