Food Allergy

6 mo allergic reaction to banana residue on skin??

XP from November 2012.....

I haven't started my almost 6 month old baby on solids yet, but today when I was cutting up a banana for my toddler DD, I took my hand (which still had a little bit of banana residue on it) and quickly wiped some spitup from his face without thinking....and he had a bad reaction! Immediate started sneezing and nose running, along with a rash on that part of his face. It was so scary, and thankfully he's ok. I washed my hands and gave him a bath after he calmed down. I can't imagine what would've happened if he actually ate some banana.....

But now I'm not sure what to expect...I'm going to call the doctor, but what should the doctor do about it? I mean, do they prescribe something like an epipen for a baby to have just in case? Or will they just tell me to avoid having him eat banana? I don't know what I should be pushing for in this instance. Maybe I'm just overreacting, but I know food allergies are extremely serious and I don't want to risk something terrible happening to the little guy.

daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC

Re: 6 mo allergic reaction to banana residue on skin??

• EmR22EmR22 member

My guess from my experience is they would refer you to an allergist and they would do testing with avoiding it in the mean time. Typically your ped doesn't give the epi-pen unless it's already been given by the allergist (ie our ped will renew it if necessary). If you LO is positive on the testing they should give you an epi-pen for just in case he has that type of reaction. 

I don't think you over reacting at all. Like you said, who knows what would happen if he actually ate even a small piece! Good luck! 

• Thank you for your response. It's nice to know kind of what to expect....we have an appt with an allergist tomorrow, so we'll see. We definitely threw out all the bananas in our house.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"