Minnesota Babies
Options

Maple grove hospital

Has anyone delivered there? What was your experience?

Re: Maple grove hospital

• Options
    I had my son at Maple Grove in November 2012. It was awesome!

The triage rooms where you wait to get admitted are small but you shoukdnt be in those for too long. Then I was moved to the delivery room. My room was one of the new ones. It had a huge "bathroom" with shower, birthing tub, etc. The room with the bed was good size too. We had a great view of a farm, which was perfect for me since I grew up on a farm. The recovery rooms are smaller but just as nice.

My husband loved the little kitchenettes to get snacks. I think they are only supposed to be for mothers but I let him eat my snacks lol.

All of the nurses I had were terrific. All very helpful and personable. I wish they were more helpful with breastfeeding but that could be partially my fault. I should have just asked for more help, but being a first time mom, I didn't.

Overall, I loved my experience and will definitely miss that hospital. I live in southern MN now in a small town wwith a mediocre hospital lol

Let me know if you have any more questions!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I just delivered there in February and had a fantastic experience! I would totally recommend the hospital. I had a pretty traumatic emergency csection in the middle of the night and everyone was so informative, helpful and calming. I always knew what was happening even though things went really quickly!

Post partum was excellent too! Those nurses know their stuff. I always had pain meds before even asking for them. Supplies were replenished without asking. The lactation consultants were very helpful and a lot of the nurses function in that role as well. So overnight when we had issues the charge nurse new exactly what to do. The food service was great and very quick. Housekeeping was awesome as well. You could tell everyone really liked their job. I also liked the angel care bracelets that linked our son to me. He rarely left the room but it was nice to have the added security! The rooms were nice and the bathroom were huge! There was a place for DH to sleep and they always asked if he needed anything! They even told him to help himself to the snack room! The unit is very quiet and clean. Our room was located right by the special care nursery incase DS had needec to go there. Our son was premature so we were sort of prepared at home but not. We were sent home with supplies to last a few days so we didn't have to go out right away. Discharge was great and when we ran into issues at home with appointments and equipment the staff took care of everything!
    As you can tell overall I had a fantastic experience! I would totally have another child just so I could deliver there.....minus the whole traumatic emergency csection part!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't had our baby yet, but we are delivering there! I've heard a lot of great things about the hospital. The labor & delivery floor is amazing. Definitely worth checking out :-) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mkp988mkp988 member
    I had my son at Maple Grove Hospital in January 2013. Wonderful experience. Loved the hospital and all the nurses. I wouldn't deliver anywhere else!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker]
  • Options

I delivered there October 2012 and had a wonderful experience. Like someone said, the triage rooms are small but after that initial evaluation, you are moved in to a much larger delivery room. I, too, had a room with a full bathroom including a tub and separate shower. We had an awesome nurse, Megan, who ended up delivering our baby by herself with just my DH in the room to 'assist' (baby came super fast and doctor didn't make it back in after my initial check-up). We felt like we knew exactly what was going to happen before it happened and were entirely comfortable with her.

The post-partum rooms are nice, too. They are large compared to many hospital rooms and have a couch and a rocking chair in them. I took advantage of the whirlpool spa tubs they have available - I believe it helped my stiches heal quickly and it felt so great to go sit in a warm bath in the dim lights after a full day of visitors and adjustment to a new baby.

My one semi-complaint was also mentioned above. Maybe it is because I am a ftm but I felt like the help with breastfeeding was lacking. No one told me I should/could nurse right after delivery and maybe they expect you to just know what to do but I certainly did not. The one post-partum nurse I had was only really familiar with one hold (football) and LO would not latch. It was incredibly frustrating for LO and for me. I asked for the lactation lady the next morning and she immediately pin-pointed that the hold the nurses told me I should exclusively was not working for my LO. Switched the hold and sure enough, LO latched immediately.

I think MGH was a wonderful place to deliver and I would recommend it to anyone. I would also tell moms to be proactive in their own care and needs and the nurses will gladly help you with whatever. I had to learn that they aren't mind readers so you have to ask them for the help you need and they will do whatever they can to meet your needs.

BFP#1 8/24/11, EDD 5/5/12, D&C 10/24/11 due to missed m/c

BFP #2 2/1/12, EDD 10/11/12.  Baby arrived 10/9/12

BFP #3 5/6/14, EDD 1/14/15

• Options
    cltk12cltk12 member

I have not delivered at MGH, but our good friend is a L&D nurse at a neighboring hospital and has nothing good to say about MGH. She said that they don't have a blood bank there so if you or baby need blood, they need to call the hosptial she works at to get blood and someone drives there and back to get it (20 mins each way!).  She also mentioned that MGH isn't a trama center so if any issues happen with mom or baby they need to be brought via ambulance 20 mins to the hospital she works at and she sees this happen quite a bit and then mom and baby are at different hosptials then until one is discharged. The last thing she mentioned is that there are quite a few lawsuits open againest L&D unit at MGH.

Again, I haven't delivered there and don't have first hand knowledge, but these may be some questions to ask your OB about delievering there.

• Options
    Planning on delivering at MG in September and my mom works as a nurse in OB. They are great there! I would recommend touring if you are on the fence
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"