November 2012 Moms
Options

Right or left handed?

Is it too early to tell if our LOs are right or left handed? I think my DD prefers her left hand more, but she still uses her right hand to grab stuff too. My DH and several other family member are left handed.

Hmmm..just wondering if you see a preference with your LO.

Re: Right or left handed?

• Options
    I'm not sure if its too soon to tell but I've noticed Em use her left hand a lot. This seems odd to me since DH and I are both right-handed.
  • Options
    Benjamin uses his right hand most. I'm assuming he'll be right handed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH and I want him to left handed like me... I do try to purposely put things in his right hand but he always wants to grab with his left. I put things in at eye level for him to grab at and he always uses his left hand.
    Nov 2012 BMB January Siggy Challenge
    Those Presedential Fitness Tests Were Torture

• Options

N definitely tends to grab and reach for stuff with his left more often. Both his dad and I are right handed, but both of us do some things left handed. 

My DD uses her right most often, but is fairly ambidextrous.  Her dad is a righty as well. 

MY dad was a lefty, but thought to be evil and wicked while growing up, so he uses his right.  Everyone else is a righty. 

• Options
    zmosszmoss member
    I think LJ uses his R hand more but I'm not sure. Mostly by grabbing his paci and toys.
    imageimage"Image">image"Image">image
  • Options
    Mine clearly favors the left. Of course she uses the right some but it is very obvious she prefers left. 
    party-fails-crunk-critters-catnips-a-hell-of-a-drug Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker (formerly TTGP poster abfromva)
  • Options
    K uses both pretty regularly. Some days, she will favor her left. This is a very small favor though. DH is a lefty, and I am a righty. We will see.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

From a pediatrician on babycentre.com: Your baby's preference for her right or left hand may start to appear as early as 6 to 9 months of age. Even so, you won't be able to determine true right- or left-handedness until your child is 2 or 3 years old, when she'll begin to favor the same hand consistently. And some children may be ambidextrous (using both hands equally) until they're 5 or 6, when they finally make a choice.

Hand dominance is greatly influenced by genetics. If both you and your partner are left-handed, your child has a 45 to 50 percent chance of being left-handed as well. (About 10 percent of people are left-handed.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hallie favors the left. Which is strange because me and DH are right. However my mom and sister are left. She still uses the right some though. IMO it's too early to tell...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"