Food Allergy
Options

Elecare Aversion

My son has been on Elecare for 2.5 months now and it is still a battle to feed him. I have to jiggle him and walk around the room, singing, and force the bottle in his mouth. And with all this fighting I get 17 - 22oz (including middle of night) into him. But it literally takes me 30 mins to feed him and is so so stressful. He is gaining wonderfully - 6 months and 18.5 lbs. So the docs are just like "great job mom! keep it up". They won't listen to me that this is not normal.  He appears to be starving, but won't eat without me forcing him. He will eat jarred food fine. And I've tried giving him no jarred food, and still, the same result with formula. He's not filling up on the solids. Sometimes he will sleep through the night, and I will go to feed hiim in the morning (12 hours after I fed him last) and he has 2 oz and wants nothing to do with it. 

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?? I went to a new GI doc to get a second opinion, but he didn't really offer any suggestions. He suggested a modified barium swallow to rule out any physical problems. But I really don't think that's the issue...before the milk issue, he would eat about 32 oz a day. My older son had a barium swallow due to overactive gag reflex, and had awful diarrhea for days afterwards...so I'd prefer not to do this, unless absolutely necessary.  Any thoughts? 

Re: Elecare Aversion

• Options

DD is on Neocate and is sometimes difficult to feed.  Singing a lullaby and going to a quiet spot with fewer distractions helps.  If you are giving solids, you can mix his cereal with Elecare to give a little extra.  It sounds like he is growing fine.  I would encourage you not to force feed.  DD is "supposed" to need 40 oz per day of Neocate per the nutritionist's calculations.  She drinks 25 oz at best, but her growth is perfect.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    On another note...have you all tried different formulas with more success? We only did alimentum, then Elecare. And  I know there is neocate and PurAmino....But the GI doc says that if he doesnt like Elecare, he won't like the others. Should I insist that we try one of those? Since it's been 2.5 months and he still hates the Elecare? Though I guess he tolerates it in the fact that there is no pain, no blood in stool, no vomiting, etc...So to me it really seems like a taste issue. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For 4 months, I tried BFing and eliminating potentially problematic foods, which turned into a total elimination diet and DD was still miserable.  Then GI suggested Nutramigen.  That was a failure.  GI gave us samples of Elecare and Neocate; I tried Neocate first, and that is what we stuck with.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    Is it possible he has reflux? DD fought the bottle until we resolved the reflux issues.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yes - he has reflux. We have tried it all, and Prevacid seems to work the best.  I just switched him back down to Alimentum ready to feed on Friday...and today is day 4 and so far so good...He is eating so well! I really think it was just a taste issue with Elecare.  Hoping he continues to do well on the alimentum. We are going to check poop on day 8 for blood...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"