March 2013 Moms
Options

EBF, introducing bottle?

My LO is 2 months old and is EBF. I may need to leave her for a few hours and have to give her a bottle. Anyone offer advice or experience with this?

Preferred bottle/nipple brands? Should I practice giving the bottle first? And how do I know how much to pump for her?

Help!

Re: EBF, introducing bottle?

• Options

My advice is to start ASAP. My LO was used to taking both the bottle and breast until one day she decided to refuse taking a bottle. She was 8 weeks 2 days when this happened. We've had no success getting her to take a bottle since that day and we've tried everything.

• Options

I agree with PP. My pediatrician and LC both recommended starting before eight weeks because they're likely to refuse it after then.

With that said, there's also a specific way to give a bottle to a breastfed baby - here's the Kellymom link - https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    rm2013rm2013 member
    My LO will only take Tommee Tippee bottles nipples. Because they are shaped like a breast.

I just pump and store in bags, you can always freeze for later if you don't use it, but your milk is good for like 5 days in the fridge. I dont put more than 4 oz in a bag.

I'd do bottle first, so that hopefully hunger will make your LO not be picky.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I read the kellymom article and used those techniques. We introduced the bottle around 4 weeks and haven't had any issues going back and forth. I would suggest doing a test run before you actually have to leave LO just in case. I was just pumping once in the morning, after her first morning feed, and that is usually enough for one bottle at night 45 oz usually. Now I'm pumping more, but just trying to build a freezer stash.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Options
    Oh, also, the medela bottles have worked well for us. I've heard good things about the TT brand also and may end up trying some of those.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Options
    I tried at 4 weeks with no success with medela. The nipple collapsed on her.
    Then I tried playtex at 5 weeks and she took twice, different days immedietly.
    Just tried again today at six weeks and she screamed. So I had to bf her, she was hysterical.

Good luck
    Me: 30 | DH:34
    Married: 08/04/12
    DD: 6 years | Born: 03/28/13
    DS: 1 Year I Born 10/15/17

• Options
    Devbo18Devbo18 member
    I started around a month with my little guy too and the first few times were a disaster, he hated to bottle tommy tippee and that's all I had, I thought they'd be perfect bc they look just like a breast. I had my husband give him the bottle and when the baby was freaking, hubby couldn't handle. I tried playtex, he hated that too. This week we tried Dr. Browns and he took it without a problem, 3 times!!!y suggestion is to give a bottle every other day so they are used to it. He still prefers breast over bottle big time, but I can get away with bottles once in a while so we can get out a bit! GL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

When we first introduced DH gave her a bottle around 1 month. I've heard some babies have a hard time taking a bottle from mom but luckily we haven't had that issue. We use the avent with slow flow nipples.  She will also take the bottles that came with my Medela breast pump.  I would practice with her first so you get an idea of how much she will take.  We give LO 3.5 oz.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"