VBAC

VBAC with Gestational Diabetes??? Anyone???

I had gestational diabetes but that wasn't the reason for my 1st c-section 10 years ago (they induced me @ 39 weeks and I didn't dilate past 2cm. I now have been diagnosed even earlier (at 8 weeks gestational) and the doctor is insisting on a c-section. I want a VBAC. Has anyone had this issue?

Re: VBAC with Gestational Diabetes??? Anyone???

• My dr wanted to section me at 39 weeks for my big baby. I don't think GD was the only reason I make big babies. Very few women in either of our families make small babies and not everyone has GD. I ended up going into labor on my own at 36 weeks. He was 8lb 1 oz and 21 inches long. My dr still wanted to section me. I am so irritated at him, but I pushed the baby out with no issues.

The reasons why drs don't like you to go past 39 weeks with GD is because:

-the placenta starts to break down sooner for moms with GD

-babies tend to be bigger in the shoulders, thus leading to increased risk of shoulder dystocia.

I would find a different provider if you can. ICAN is a great resource! Look up your local chapter - they can help!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have GD and have full support from my midwives for a VBAC. If diet and exercise aren't enough to control the GD I'll have to see the OBs but they too are very supportive of VBACs.

Look for a new provider. While GD can affect things like the placenta etc if its controlled it'll present less of a problem.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"