April 2012 Moms
Options

Car Accident Carseat Question

I was getting gas and LO was in the car sleeping.  A U-haul truck hit the front/side of my car while it was parked and I was literally pumping the gas.  The driver of the u-haul has State Farm Insurance and I have Mercury.  The claim was made and my car was fixed at no cost to me.  When the insurance company called to get my statement I told them that there was one year old in the car in his car seat and they didn't say anything about replacing it .... In the mean time I have been trying to do some research and from what I found they are required to replace my car seat no matter how severe the accident was (especially with CA laws). 

Anyways, I called mercury and told them I wanted to replace my car seat and they said they need the original receipt, well I got the car seat as a gift and the person who bought it for my does not have the receipt, it has been over a year!

They told me that without the receipt that they could only give me $100, which will not be enough to replace the car seat I have.

Is this correct? I thought they had to replace it? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Baby Birthday  Ticker Ticker

Re: Car Accident Carseat Question

• Options
    They should replace the same exact seat. Also you should have the other guys insurance replace it. I've heard of some companies giving 100 upfront then reimbursing for the difference..
    <3 Delaney. 4.5.12. <3 <br> Photobucket
  • Options
    I thought you could use the receipt for the new car seat. It shouldn't matter what you or someone else paid for it a year ago but what you'd pay now. I was in an accident in September and they didn't specific which receipt was needed. I can't remember for sure, but I believe I sent them the new receipt. Perhaps it depends on the insurance too. The other guys insurance should be responsible for it. I'd check with them.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mumegsmumegs member
    Wow my car was in an accident and DD wasn't with me at the time, the cop just told me I should get a new car seat. I had no idea insurance would replace it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry I don't know the answer but I'd be taking that $100 and getting a new seat if that's all they will give.  A new seat is the most important thing. Hopefully they will cover it though!
    -----------------------------
    Penelope Lynn 5.8.2009
    Harrison Peter 4.10.2012

Check out the blog at balletandbaseball.com
    click for toddler hilarity
  • Options

When I was in an accident, I called the insurance company of the person who hit me and told them that my insurance (State Farm) said that both seats should be replaced.  They told me to go ahead and purchase them and send in my receipt - they just sent me a check. 

I hope you come to a quick resolution and get your new seat asap.  The whole process of getting into an accident and getting through all the paperwork is such a pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Have you posted this to the Car Seats For The Littles FB group?  They will defninitely have the answers for you.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"