Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Grunting, straining, and screaming?

Lately DD has been having a lot of trouble pooping-lots of grunting, straining, and last night she woke up screaming a few times. We've tried gas drops, gripe water, rubbing her tummy, bicycling her legs-but nothing seems to help.  When she does go it is soft so I know it isn't constipation (she is FF'd).  I remember DS being the same way, but don't remember when he grew out of it. Any tips or do we just have to wait it out?
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Grunting, straining, and screaming?

• I asked our pedi about this and she said that it's normal for babies to grunt and strain while pooping because they are still "learning" how to go. She said that if it's constipation then the poop would be hard and pebble like.
    My 7 week old sometimes still grunts but often does not so I guess he's growing out of it.
  • Same as PP. My 7 week DD still grunts and strains but not as much as she used to. And at least she doesn't seem to act so terrified of the process any longer lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • MrsJ723MrsJ723 member
    Thanks ladies! Hopefully all of our LOs grow out of it soon!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Kota26Kota26 member
    My 5 week old is getting better at it, still grunting but not anywhere close to what he looked like when he was 3 weeks old. I also took dairy out of my diet to see if he was sensitive or had a milk allergen.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My 7 week old had a huge poop last night without the grunting and screaming that usually goes with it, so maybe he's finally getting the hang of it too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• my LO still grunts.  she's getting a little less dramatic about it, but she does still grunt or strain when she poops. i love it lol it's one of the funniest things i see all day
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"