Health & Exercise

BTDT Runners with Jogging Strollers

I was recently told by one woman that I needed to make sure I get a jogger with a swiveling front wheel. If I get the one with a fixed front wheel it's a nightmare around corners. What do you guys think?

Re: BTDT Runners with Jogging Strollers

• You can get joggers with front wheels that have the option to swivel or lock. You should ALWAYS run with it in the locked position, but having the swivel option can make it easier when walking. That said my jogger (Bob Ironman) has a fixed front wheel and I've never had issues making corners - either running or walking.
  • rondosarondosa member
    The Baby Jogger Summit X3 just came out and it has a swivel front wheel that you can lock straight, but the cool thing is that the lever to change from lock or swivel is on the handlebar so it is easy to change "on the fly".
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies! I plan to put some serious miles in running with mine.I thought you needed a locked wheel too, but this lady insisted. My guess is she doesn't really run with hers? Not sure...I plan on mostly using it on a paved bike trail that is wide with gradual turns anyway. I don't see it being a problem.
  • *bad mom here* 

i run w/ mine unlocked.  it's a Bob and it makes it so easy.  i can run one handed (obv brake around my wrist) and i love it.  it used to wobble a bit, then I took it to REI and they filled the tires and now it hasn't wobbled since (and i'm running much faster now!  lol)

good luck! 

• I'm a new runner and the first time I took DH's jogging stroller for a run, he mentioned the front wheel and locking and thought he had done so.  Apparently he didn't and I didn't realize it just thought his was the crappiest jogging stroller ever.  I soon learned otherwise and to run without that front wheel locked is just ridiculous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Depends on if you will use this as your only stroller.  We got a BOB revolution with a wheel that swivels or locks in place b/c we intended to use it as our only stroller.  (We've since bought a lightweight stroller since we plan to do some plane travels this year and don't want to bring BOB!).   The swivel front wheel makes the stroller much more easy to take into stores while shopping and for easy going walks around the neighborhood.  I would not want to take a fixed front wheel stroller to almost any shopping location.   I run with DS in it about once a week and love how easy it is to push even with the wheel locked into place.  

The only thing I wish BOB had is a handlebar brake.  We have some steep hills to get to my normal running path and I would appreciate having a brake easily accessible to me. 

• I've heard to pick one out that will unluck to swivel when needed, but you should jog with it locked to maintain control while jogging.  You don't want it to turn or tip over unexpected while your child is inside. 
  • argonneargonne member

You should always run with a fixed wheel.  It's more stable for you to push and less tipsy.  If you are going to have a dedicated running stroller and another "around town" stroller, then just get one with a permanent fixed wheel.

I didn't want to buy more than one nice stroller, so I got the BOB Revolution.  You can fix the wheel for running and then set it to swivel for getting around town.  I love that stroller.  It has over 3000 miles on it and I've trained for two marathons pushing it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"