March 2013 Moms
Options

Vaccines at 2 months

Hope you don't mind me intruding on the March board =)  (LO was supposed to be an April baby but she had other plans!)

For those of you that had your 2 month vaccines, how was it How many did LO get?  Were you advised to give baby tylenol?
My Pedi told us not to give the baby tylenol because it lessens the effectiveness of the vaccines, but we can give it if we want to.  I have never heard of that theory before... ?  And she is supposed to get FIVE! (I think one might be the oral one?)  Poor thing, I think it's going to be harder on me than her.  I asked about splitting them up, and the Pedi advised against it, saying it would be worse and drag out the process.
So... just wondering what your experiences were, how was LO during, and after the vaccines were given? 

TIA from an anxious momma!

Re: Vaccines at 2 months

• Options
    My baby got them yesterday. Pedi said no need to give Tylenol before- just give it if LO has fever or in pain. He was in pain a lot yesterday and got 2 doses throughout the day
  • Options
    I've been told to give Tylenol before.. We don't.

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    lkm2006lkm2006 member
    Mine only got 4, 3 in the legs and one oral.

I didn't give anything before or right after because my older son never had a reaction to shots. This LO did fine until about an hour later and all hell broke loose! He was just so unhappy but settled down within 30 minutes of me giving some medicine.

It's definitely worse on the moms than the baby. They give them so quick and baby usually stops crying as soon as you pick them up.

• Options
    imagejack19:

we were told 5 for that visit. 2 in each thigh and one oral

DTaP: Diphtheria, tetanus, and acellular pertussis vaccine

Hib: Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine

IPV: Inactivated poliovirus vaccine

PCV: Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine

Rota: Rotavirus vaccine

These are the ones recommended by the AAP at 2 months.  I choose to have our LO's shots split, so we end up going every month which our ped fully supports.  Our office uses the Pediarix combo shot (Hep B, DTaP and Polio), so DD got that and the Rotavirus liquid at her appt yesterday.  We'll go back next month for the Hib and PCV.  I don't give Tylenol unless needed and so far she's been completely fine.  No fussiness or fever and her sleep has been totally normal.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    shellmhshellmh member
    We had the combo shot as well, so he ended up with 3 shots one in each thigh and one in his arm and the oral one. Honestly he did the worst with the oral one, which the ped did first because he said typically its the easiest has a sweet taste so done babies like it. His face turned bright bright red and he screamed. He probably didn't even feel the shots because he was still so upset over the oral one!

We were told to give him Tylenol if he got a fever or swelling. He didn't have either. I think it helped that we immediately went on a 2 hr car trip because it kept him calm and asleep.
  • Options
    We had 3. My pedi does not give the oral Rotavirus vaccine, unless you really want it. We opt out of that one. I always give Tylenol.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    jbatchjbatch member
    They only gave 2 shots and one oral.. My lo was cranky that night and slept all the next day.. It wasn't to bad..

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    My LO got hers today and she became fussy about an hour after. It was a different cry then I had heard before. I could tell she was in pain. She also gor a fever so we have been giving Tylenol. She has been sleeping a ton!
  • Options
    LO got combo vacs, one injection in each thigh and one oral. Ped gave us asample thing of tylenol and marked the syringe with the dose. We gave it to him at bedtime since he was super fussy, even in his sleep, and it helped him sleep better. Next day he was quieter and sleepier than normal but otherwise was fine.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    My LO got 3 in the thighs and an oral. She cried for all of a minute after and never fussed again! She is a pretty easy baby though. I did give Tylenol before and continued to because she ran a mild fever for almost 3 days. No pain at the injection site though. She did sleep a ton and not eat a lot for almost a week after. All in all it was way less traumatizing for both of us than I had anticipated.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"