One & Done: Only child
Options

selling the "gear"

So, we are finally ready to sell the baby gear that haunted us through 2 years of secondary infertility.  With mixed emotions, we are ready to de-clutter.  We started out with a few things on Craigslist and did okay but ended up with a weirdo sending spam everyday.  So, considering a yard sale.

Did any of you have much luck selling baby stuff at yard sales?  I thought we'd get more $ on CL vs a yard sale.

Thoughts? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: selling the "gear"

• Options
    imagegolfbride11:

So, we are finally ready to sell the baby gear that haunted us through 2 years of secondary infertility.  With mixed emotions, we are ready to de-clutter.  We started out with a few things on Craigslist and did okay but ended up with a weirdo sending spam everyday.  So, considering a yard sale.

Did any of you have much luck selling baby stuff at yard sales?  I thought we'd get more $ on CL vs a yard sale.

Thoughts? 

I guess it depends region to region. A yard sale would be tricky for us but we sold our travel system for 1/2 of the original price on Craigslist and it only took one day.

The rest of our items are being passed down to the next person in my family to get pregnant (a few are trying). Anything they don't want is getting donated.

• Options

Hugs - selling baby gear was hard for me too, even though we're pretty confident in being 1&D. 

I've had good luck selling gear on CL.  I figured it would be less time consuming than having a yard/garage sale.  I've quickly sold the infant car seat and bases ($60), breast pump ($60), bouncer ($20), boppy ($10), and bumbo ($10).

Other large items that we're still using like the PNP and high chair are getting sold to a coworker when she has her baby later this year.

I've found that smaller items like clothes and miscellaneous do not sell on CL.  I'll probably donate most of that since I don't feel like wasting a day sitting in my garage trying to sell it.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you have any baby/child consignment stores?  We have had some good luck both selling and buying at a few. 
  • Options
    eyenigheyenigh member
    Do you have mom to mom sales in your area? I've had huge success with selling my stuff at great prices and none of the craigslist issues to go along with it. I have yet to actually have a table-- I've just taken the "big ticket" items (swing, strollers, bouncer, etc.) and paid like $1 per item to have them there and then I pick up my money at the end of the day. It's worked out great.

• Options

First of all, (hugs) for having to make that call and purge.

If the garage sale will be pretty big, you might be able to unload it that way. Otherwise, I would stick to CL. You can also do the garage sale and post what doesn't sell on CL.

• Options

I've never used CL so I can't offer any insight on that one.

There is a BIG community yard sale in my in-laws housing development each year.  We give them stuff to put out for us since we don't have enough to do one on our own, nor would we want to.  Is there anything like this that you could get in on in your area?

I've also never consigned to sell any of my own things, but the mom sales around here are huge!  Might be something worth checking into. 

• Options
    I just had a garage sale this past weekend. It was pretty slow (but I chalk that up to the weather). I did get rid of some stuff but not at much as I thought I would. There is a FB group I joined that is like a local online garage sale. It's referred to as a Trading Post. It is a private group so you have to ask to join (and it makes it less public than CL.) You might want to see if there is one in your area.
    =BFP#1 11/2009, It's a boy! 3/2010, Our Angel Ian born sleeping 7/3/2010 (cord accident 37w5d); BFP#2 1/2011, mmc confirmed 2/24/2011, incomplete natural mc so had D&C 3/11/2011; BFP#3 6/19/2011, natural mc 6/21/2011; BFP#4 7/15/2011, no hb at 7w5d, D&C 9/7/2011; BFP#5 2/6/2012, baby boy born on 9/27/2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm sure a tag sale would be good. Also do you have a Once Upon A Child store near you? They buy used baby gear and pay cash
  • Options
    missymomissymo member

You can always do the yard sale, and then make sure to do a craigslist ad for the sale.  If you have specific items you think someone would be searching for (I assume you do if you think you will make more $$ off CL) make sure to list it in your ad.  Hold firm on your price and if you don't get offered a price you want, CL it later. 

I know a lot of people have luck with CL, but if you have a lot of items it seems like starting with a yard sale is a great idea.  Yard sales are very popular around here and the well advertised ones get a lot of traffic.  

Personally, I was just too lazy to sell anything! All of our baby stuff got handed down to a friend/family, or donated.   

C is 3 years old

• Options
    Good luck!  We sold a bunch of DD's clothes at Once Upon a Child, but we are also having a tag sale this weekend to see what else we can get rid of.  What we don't sell will be donated...
    photo NewAveryPic_zps943cadf9.jpg
  • Options

imageM&MHaveMyHeart:
    . I think a lot of people around here expect things for very cheap.

That's the case here too which is why I was hoping to avoid the yard sale.  I will give CL another shot.  I've set up a different email address that's not linked to my personal information, so I feel safer.

Thanks for the consignment ideas and the Mom sales - I'll look for both.

• Options

I gave some of the bigger items, like high chair and exersaucer to a friend.  For the smaller stuff like clothes and toys, we donate everything to Goodwill.  Since ds's birthday is almost exactly 6 months from Christmas, I go through his clothes and toys twice a year.

We itemize on our taxes and take the full charitable deduction every year. I figure I get more back doing that, than running a yard sale.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"