TTC After a Loss
Options

Well that was disappointing...

Had my first therapy appt today, and it was somewhat lame.

I know it was only an intake, so I am still going back in two weeks to see how I feel about her. She was definitely not what I was expecting.

The most disappointing part, was that she focused the entire session on going over my anxiety and depression, and didn't even say a word about the miscarriage until I brought it up even though it was written all over my paperwork. Here's how the conversation went:

"anything else you think I should know?"
"Well, my anxiety and depression have really increased since my miscarriage last year."
"Oh my, when was that?"
"Last June."
"Oh, so we are coming up on the anniversary.."
"Yes." I do give her props for realizing it's a harder time right now
"How long were you pregnant for?"
"I was 15 weeks."
writes it down and looks up, "Wow, that's over 3 months."
"Yes." starts to tear up
"Were you trying to get pregnant?"
"We were not trying, but not protecting."
"So when you found out you were pregnant..."
"We were very happy."
"So you were going to keep the child."
nods
"So this is definitely a loss for you then."
"Yes."

Moves on.

That's it.

The entire session.

I already know I have "Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Minor Depression with OCD traits." That was not new, or helpful.

Grr.

ETA: the bump ate my formatting, sorry.

"As long as I live you will live. As long as I live you will be loved."

BFP#1 3/31/12 EDD 12/1/12,No HB 6/6/12 (14 weeks 4 days), D&C 6/11/12 (15 weeks 2 days)*Arabella Ann*

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#2 5/21/14 EDD 1/27/15 *GROW BABY GROW*

Re: Well that was disappointing...

• Options
    I'm sorry your session wasn't what you expected Roxy. I hope the next one is better and that you feel like you are making progress. (hugs)

BFP#1  9/5/12, MMC, MC confirmed 10/9/12,          
                D&C 12/12/12
    BFP#2 7/30/13, EDD 4/12/14, DS born 4/14/14

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    I'm sorry hun and props to you for giving her another shot. I'm too quick to judge counselors. Big mobile hugs.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
    Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    EKGibsEKGibs member
    I'm sorry Roxy. Hopefully the next session will be better. (((hugs)))
    TTC since 4/28/07
    Diagnosed w/ endometriosis 12/2010 Laproscopic surgery & 6 months of Lupron
    BFP 12/17/2011,EDD 8/23/12,ectopic discovered 12/29/11 at 6 weeks recieved methotrexate
    Dec '12 HSG & ultrasound showed abnormalities & more endo. Laproscopic surgery in January '13 showed significant damage & scar tissue from Endo. IVF is our best shot to concieve our rainbow.

June '13 Decided to go the adoption route!

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

imageimageFollow Me on Pinterestimageimageimage

***PGAL/PAL WELCOME***

• Options
    [[[hugs]]] Roxy. I'm sorry you didn't get much out of your first appointment. Hopefully she will focus more on your loss at the next.

BFP #1 5.26.08 DD born 1.4.09
    BFP #2 3.11.12 m/c 3.26.12
    BFP #3 10.7.12 m/c 10.27.12
    BFP #4 2.24.13 ectopic MTX 3.13.13 Right tube removed 3.29.13
    BFP #5 5.27.13 DS born 1.22.14

BFP #6 4.14.16

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    nyg2042nyg2042 member
    I'm sorry that the session didn't turn out as you had hoped.  I would agree with giving it a few more sessions.  It takes time to develop rapport and get on the same page.  Hope the next session is much better and lots of ((hugs))

BFP #1 : 3/20/13 | EDD: 12/1/13 | MC: 4/15/13 

BFP #2: 1/9/14 | EDD: 9/21/14  

Welcomed our rainbow bear on 8/31/14

My Chart | All are Welcome

• Options
    Etta07Etta07 member
    HUGS Roxy I'm sorry she didn't pay attention to the important part for you. I hope your next appointment is more of what you need
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    (((hugs)))  I'm sorry it didn't go as planned!!  Hopefully the next one is better.  Sad
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I would not let yourself be afraid of trying another therapist if you aren't feeling like this one is helpful.. I think that is a major component to therapy is feeling like you are making progress or at least getting helpful meaningful time with them. My H doesn't feel this way and he gets less than I do from our sessions. Sorry it wasn't what you expected.

THE DARK SIDE IT IS

and GBCB

BFP 8/2/12 EDD 4/9/13 Addie was delivered 1/4/13 at 26 weeks due to Eclampsia  

BFP 9/15/14 EDD 5/28/15 Please be our R A I N B O W take home baby BOY

imageimageimageimage
    ~All AL always welcome~

• Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    I'm sorry that you are disappointed Roxy, especially after you had a hard time finding someone (((hugs))) I'm glad that you are going to go at least one more time though. Sometimes it is hard to really bond with someone at the intake appointments. Good luck with the next one!

• Options
    SerenlaSerenla member
    ::hugs:: I hope it goes better next time and if not you can change therapists.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    (((hugs))) I'm sorry. I hope the next session feels more productive for you. 
    imageimage
    BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
    BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ZAngelZAngel member
    I'm very sorry the appointment didn't go as expected.  After the next session if you feel that you are not connecting with this therapist, you should definitely search for a new one.  Some therapists will give you a bio or a pamphlet that tells you a bit more about their background and counseling style.  It's very important to find someone you are comfortable with.  Good luck and I really hope things turn around for you!
    BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
    BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
    BFP #4 5/29 EDD 2/9 - please be our rainbow
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    imageZAngel:
    I'm very sorry the appointment didn't go as expected.nbsp; After the next session if you feel that you are not connecting with this therapist, you should definitely search for a new one.nbsp; Some therapists will give you a bio or a pamphlet that tells you a bit more about their background and counseling style.nbsp; It's very important to find someone you are comfortable with.nbsp; Good luck and I really hope things turn around for you!

Hugs Roxy, and I second all of this. I would give her one more shot. I hope next time is more productive for you.

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• Options
    I'm sorry you didn't have a great session. Hopefully your appt. in 2 weeks will be better.  (((Hugs)))
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

~Amanda
    All are welcome in my posts

• Options
    ZAngelZAngel member
    Also, don't be afraid to point this out at your next session.  Many therapists will allow their patient to "take the lead".  If you just let her know that you didn't feel enough time was spent discussing your loss, I'm sure she would be more than happy to redirect the session.  Let her know that you feel your loss is a very important part of your life and you believe it has a lot to do with the pain you experience on a regular basis.  If she discounts your feelings and tries to run the topics, I would encourage you to look for someone else.
    imageimage
  • Options

imageIgoo0304:
    I'm sorry it wasn't what you needed. Hopefully the next appt is better. I side-eye her a little for saying "so this was definitely a loss for you."

Yeah... I was doing the same.

Hope next time is better. If not, nothing wrong with trying to find someone else.

imageimage
    BFP with #1 (twins!) 11/18/2011 - missed m/c at 8weeks3days; d&c 1/19/2012; myomectomy to remove 18cm+,10cm & 5cm fibroids 4/2012; TTC again 7/2012; BFP #2 (twins) 11/13/2012; missed m/c at 7weeks;
    BFP #3: baby girl born 3/5/2014

Balaustine: an anthology about wanting family
  • Options
    (((Hugs))) Roxy, I'm sorry that your appointment didn't go as well as you hoped.  I hope your next session is better.  More ((hugs))!
    9.08.12 BFP! | 11.01.12 MMC Discovered at 12 weeks| 11.06.12 D&C 
    11.25.13 BFP#2| 4.07.14 TEAM PINK!!!|EDD 8.8.14 Please be our Rainbow Charlotte Grace <3
    7.01.15 BFP#3| 10.06.15 TEAM BLUE!| EDD 3.02.16
    PgAL/PAL always welcome
    imageimage

• Options
    imageellajune2012:

imageIgoo0304:
    I'm sorry it wasn't what you needed. Hopefully the next appt is better. I side-eye her a little for saying "so this was definitely a loss for you."

Yeah... I was doing the same.

Hope next time is better. If not, nothing wrong with trying to find someone else.

Yeah, I definitely second (or third) this.  

imageimage
    BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
    BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry your appointment did not go as expected. I would be upset about it too if I were you. Give it some time, but also don't waste time with her if you know it's not going to work out. Switching doctors to find someone else is daunting (I've been there) but it's better to leave and find someone who can help you.
      Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic image 
  • Options

imagesnegde:
    Sorry you left feeling frustrated. Give it a few more sessions, that as an initial meeting sounds about right.

Agreed. I am a therapist and it sucks trying to gather all the necessary information, complete paperwork, and do everything we need to do in only 45-60 mins. I'm sure she was trying to gather basic information on all recent stressors and symptoms and plans on digging deeper at the next session. I'm happy you are giving it another chance and I hope it works out. Smile

TTC since April 2012

BFP #1, 10/03/2012 - EDD 6/15/2013 - MMC 11/15/2012 - D&C 01/04/2013

BFP #2, 04/06/2013 - EDD 12/17/2013 - MC 04/19/2013

6/12/2013 Diagnosed with Balanced Translocation (12 & 16)

IVF #1 with PGS: 10/2013: Canceled 9/27/2013 for issues with genetic lab

IVF #1.5 with PGS: 11/16/2013: Canceled. 11 eggs retrieved, 9 mature & 9 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #2: 1/22/14: Canceled. 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 7 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #3 with PGS: 5/10/2014: Switched to FET in July. 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized, 2 healthy embryos!

FET #1: 7/31/2014: Transferred 2 nearly perfect (6AA, 6BA) healthy embryos- BFFN

Laproscopy: 10/2014: Healthy uterus

IVF #4: 12/8/2014: Canceled. 17 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 10 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

Everyone welcome on my posts

• Options

imageZAngel:
    Also, don't be afraid to point this out at your next session.  Many therapists will allow their patient to "take the lead".  If you just let her know that you didn't feel enough time was spent discussing your loss, I'm sure she would be more than happy to redirect the session.  Let her know that you feel your loss is a very important part of your life and you believe it has a lot to do with the pain you experience on a regular basis.  If she discounts your feelings and tries to run the topics, I would encourage you to look for someone else.

Yes

TTC since April 2012

BFP #1, 10/03/2012 - EDD 6/15/2013 - MMC 11/15/2012 - D&C 01/04/2013

BFP #2, 04/06/2013 - EDD 12/17/2013 - MC 04/19/2013

6/12/2013 Diagnosed with Balanced Translocation (12 & 16)

IVF #1 with PGS: 10/2013: Canceled 9/27/2013 for issues with genetic lab

IVF #1.5 with PGS: 11/16/2013: Canceled. 11 eggs retrieved, 9 mature & 9 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #2: 1/22/14: Canceled. 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 7 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

IVF #3 with PGS: 5/10/2014: Switched to FET in July. 10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 8 fertilized, 2 healthy embryos!

FET #1: 7/31/2014: Transferred 2 nearly perfect (6AA, 6BA) healthy embryos- BFFN

Laproscopy: 10/2014: Healthy uterus

IVF #4: 12/8/2014: Canceled. 17 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 10 fertilized, all unhealthy embryos

Everyone welcome on my posts

• Options

Thank you all for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I do understand that intake appts can only go so deep, so I will give her one more try. If I don't like her style at an actual session I'm gonna switch.

I definitely side eyed her comment about the loss too. Like, what are the qualifications to you? Glad I met them in your eyes?

ALSO: A little background, I was sexually assaulted when I was drunk my freshman year of college (not forcibly, just like, black out drunk and taken advantage of). And I said something about this leading to my first overdose. And I said, yeah, it wasn't like a forcible thing, and she said, "Oh, so it wasn't rape." I was like...okay.. thank you for saying the worst possible thing to me. I almost started crying. I'm hoping she just didn't get it? Or something.

BFP#1 3/31/12 EDD 12/1/12,No HB 6/6/12 (14 weeks 4 days), D&C 6/11/12 (15 weeks 2 days)*Arabella Ann*

• Options
    imageRoxycc55:

Thank you all for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I do understand that intake appts can only go so deep, so I will give her one more try. If I don't like her style at an actual session I'm gonna switch.

I definitely side eyed her comment about the loss too. Like, what are the qualifications to you? Glad I met them in your eyes?

ALSO: A little background, I was sexually assaulted when I was drunk my freshman year of college (not forcibly, just like, black out drunk and taken advantage of). And I said something about this leading to my first overdose. And I said, yeah, it wasn't like a forcible thing, and she said, "Oh, so it wasn't rape." I was like...okay.. thank you for saying the worst possible thing to me. I almost started crying. I'm hoping she just didn't get it? Or something.

W.T.F. That would be a total red flag for me. As someone who works in a university, one thing we try to stress over and over (and over) again is that force is not the benchmark for defining "rape". She deserves a big slap in the face for that one. Seriously.

imageimage
    BFP with #1 (twins!) 11/18/2011 - missed m/c at 8weeks3days; d&c 1/19/2012; myomectomy to remove 18cm+,10cm & 5cm fibroids 4/2012; TTC again 7/2012; BFP #2 (twins) 11/13/2012; missed m/c at 7weeks;
    BFP #3: baby girl born 3/5/2014

Balaustine: an anthology about wanting family
  • Options
    ZAngelZAngel member
    imageRoxycc55:

Wait... what?  Is this person licensed?  I can't imagine why any therapist would ever say that.  Actually, I change my previous suggestion.  I believe you should go ahead and find another counselor now.  I personally would not go back to this person.  A therapist doesn't have to understand what you are going through to know what is (and isn't) appropriate feedback.  That comment was really unprofessional and out of line.

imageimage
  • Options
    Hope your next session is more productive.
  • Options
    imageZAngel:
    imageRoxycc55:

Wait... what?&nbsp; Is this person licensed?&nbsp; I can't imagine why any therapist would ever say that.&nbsp; Actually, I change my previous suggestion.&nbsp; I believe you should go ahead and find another counselor now.&nbsp; I personally would not go back to this person.&nbsp; A therapist doesn't have to understand what you are going through to know what is (and isn't) appropriate feedback.&nbsp; That comment was really unprofessional and out of line.

Yeah I'm trying to assume she didn't get what I meant. I dunno. I almost cried but just was like 'yeah I was drinking but I didn't want anything to happen.'

• Options
    I'm sorry you were disappointed. I really hope she just didn't understand what you meant about the incident in college. I hope the next session goes better. [HUGS]

TTC Since 8/2011
    BFP #1 5/13/12 * EDD 1/24/13 * MC at 7 wks 4 days on 6/11/12
    BFP #2 5/13/13 * Current EDD 1/23/14

Baby N born 2/8/14

imageimage

Lilypie - (HD7B)

• Options

BIG ((((((hugs))))))) hon. First of all, kudos to you for going. DH asked me to go as well, and I went 4 times. I did not click with my lady at all. She spent the first appointment telling me about her miscarriage and how it ended up being ok because she went on to have 3 kids and they are great and one is a doctor, one is a teacher, and blah, blah, blah. In our next 4 sessions my miscarriage wasn't brought up at all, and I didn't feel comfortable bringing it up.

Maybe try another session or two to see if it gets better, but don't feel bad switching to someone else. 

• Options
    imagebbg676:
    imageRoxycc55:
    imageZAngel:
    imageRoxycc55:

Wait... what?  Is this person licensed?  I can't imagine why any therapist would ever say that.  Actually, I change my previous suggestion.  I believe you should go ahead and find another counselor now.  I personally would not go back to this person.  A therapist doesn't have to understand what you are going through to know what is (and isn't) appropriate feedback.  That comment was really unprofessional and out of line.

Yeah I'm trying to assume she didn't get what I meant. I dunno. I almost cried but just was like 'yeah I was drinking but I didn't want anything to happen.'

I change my former statement - run, don't walk, from this therapist. 

Rape isn't always violent or by force and any therapist that thinks that that is the ONLY definition of rape should not be in practice.  Coercion, intimidation, and not being able to give consent (while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, among other things) are all ways that rape can happen (among others).

I completely agree with Angel - that comment was completely unprofessional and out of line.  That comment, along with her off-the-cuff remarks about your loss, makes me think she really doesn't think or edit her thoughts before she speaks.  This will probably be an ongoing issue that could end up causing hurt feelings and miscommunication. 

::hugs::

Sorry, I didn't see this stuff - I think I'd be done with her. ((((hugs)))) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"