Parenting after a Loss

Road Trip tips?

For those on mobile, LO will be 7 weeks on Wednesday.  We're making our first trip to visit family this weekend.  The drive is about 4-5 hrs.  Does any body have recommendations or tips for traveling with a baby this young?  Anything from pumping while away from home to items to take?  For instance I'd love to take the swing but we'll only be gone 2-3 nights, so it probably won't be necessary.  Thanks in advance.

*** aka: andreahshields ***

*** July Siggy Challenge - Cake Wrecks ***

BFP#1 3/8/12; diagnosed w/ Anencephaly at 12w6d; D&C 5/9/12
BFP#2 7/18/12; A/S 10/26/12 It's a Girl! EDD 3/29/13
Phoebe Jordan Born 3/20/13

imageimage

Re: Road Trip tips?

• I havent done a road trip with LO yet but we have flown twice. Some things I would suggest is to plan on the trip taking longer because of stops and eating schedule. At that age my DS would have slept for most of it as he loved car rides.

As far as bringing things I would just bring something for them to sleep in. People will want to hold LO most of the time and they are still so young they don't need many toys etc. I way overpacked on both trips. Things I needed and was happy to have them was saline and bulb to suction nose and a baby thermometer in case you have to check temp I also brought Tylenol just in case.

As far as pumping and feeding just do your best to keep those times consistent so your supply doesn't plummet. Have fun!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • imagepangnl79:
    I havent done a road trip with LO yet but we have flown twice. Some things I would suggest is to plan on the trip taking longer because of stops and eating schedule. At that age my DS would have slept for most of it as he loved car rides. As far as bringing things I would just bring something for them to sleep in. People will want to hold LO most of the time and they are still so young they don't need many toys etc. I way overpacked on both trips. Things I needed and was happy to have them was saline and bulb to suction nose and a baby thermometer in case you have to check temp I also brought Tylenol just in case. As far as pumping and feeding just do your best to keep those times consistent so your supply doesn't plummet. Have fun!

Thanks so much! I would have never thought of the thermometer and Tylenol. Adding to my list. 

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemkc5869:
    We are taking our first road trip this weekend too!  I was going to post this also.  I'm a little nervous about it because she doesn't always sleep in the car.  Tylenol & thermometer are a great idea.  We are taking the stroller and RnP but leaving everything else.  They both fold up and DD sleeps in the RnP.  Good luck on your trip and I can't wait to see what others say!

I hope you have fun! DD naps in the RnP so we're definitely taking that too. Our LO loves car naps (just like Mom). I just have to keep my fingers crossed that we can both nap during the drive. 

imageimage
  • imageJessiebug81:

We took the girls on a trip two weekends ago. It was a 4.5hr trip and it ended up taking us an extra hour with stops. I'm probably not the best "packing light" advisor b/c we took a ton of stuff (3 bags of stuff just for them). The girls are FF so we took bottles/formula/water for the weekend as well as stuff to wash with. The hotel provided PnPs but we took both RnPs bc I didn't want them on the floor all day. We also took this floor mobile that they love as well as their white noise machine (it's small). Otherwise it was mostly clothes, blankets & burp cloths. We left right after we fed them and made sure they had on clean diapers. We also planned a stop and feed right BEFORE it was time to eat so we didn't end up with chaos in the car.

You'll do great! Just give yourself extra time and don't focus on a tight road schedule.

ETA: I also made sure to pack gas drops & gripe water

I've been meaning to buy gas drops. I love the idea of making a stop before feeding time. That should definitely help. Thanks! 

imageimage
  • If you go to best buy or somewhere you can get a power inverter so you can pump in the car. I do this still. I think frequent stops if need be. I believe your in Houston. Stop at bucee's to change the baby if you pass one. I swear they have the cleanest everything. Pack extra change of clothes just incase. And have extra milk if necessary.

BFP: 01/08/11 EDD: 09/15/11 Natural MC: 02/03/11
    BFP: 02/14/12 EDD: 10/26/12 D&C: 03/09/12
    BFP: 04.05.12 EDD: 12.17.12 Born 11.18.12 Jackson Kane 6lbs 5ounces

BFP: 06.08.13 EDD: 02.13.14 Baby Girl.. 2U2 Here we come

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttfdf7a.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagetetiananina:
    If you go to best buy or somewhere you can get a power inverter so you can pump in the car. I do this still. I think frequent stops if need be. I believe your in Houston. Stop at bucee's to change the baby if you pass one. I swear they have the cleanest everything. Pack extra change of clothes just incase. And have extra milk if necessary.

I love Bucees but we're heading north on 59 and they haven't made it that far yet. 

imageimage
  • imageandreahshields:

imagetetiananina:
    If you go to best buy or somewhere you can get a power inverter so you can pump in the car. I do this still. I think frequent stops if need be. I believe your in Houston. Stop at bucee's to change the baby if you pass one. I swear they have the cleanest everything. Pack extra change of clothes just incase. And have extra milk if necessary.

I love Bucees but we're heading north on 59 and they haven't made it that far yet. 

That's horrible! I look forward to drives that involve Bucee stops.

BFP: 01/08/11 EDD: 09/15/11 Natural MC: 02/03/11
    BFP: 02/14/12 EDD: 10/26/12 D&C: 03/09/12
    BFP: 04.05.12 EDD: 12.17.12 Born 11.18.12 Jackson Kane 6lbs 5ounces

BFP: 06.08.13 EDD: 02.13.14 Baby Girl.. 2U2 Here we come

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/ttfdf7a.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"