3rd Trimester
Options

Is it too early to start thinking about birth control?

I have never taken birth control before but since this baby was a surprise I want to wait a few years before we have another one. I was thinking about getting the shot because I heard that they are good for 3 years or something like that. Anyone else get the shot or some other type of bc?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
j J

Re: Is it too early to start thinking about birth control?

• Options
    I think the shots good for 3 months, not 3 years. IUD's are good for 5-10 years depending on which one you get. 
    Joy

Proud mom to:

Cameron (Jan 11, 2000)
    Cassidy (May 5, 2005)
    Callen (August 23, 2013)

My heavenly angels
    ~Caleb~ Jan 21, 1999
    ~Carys~ April 29, 2011
  • Options

imagecameronzmom:
    I think the shots good for 3 months, not 3 years. IUD's are good for 5-10 years depending on which one you get. 

oh ok. That makes sense. Thank you

j J
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nope. I've already asked my doctor about birth control, lol. I'm pretty sure I'm one and done, but don't know for sure. I'm going to go with the pill. I was on it before becoming pregnant and he said I can still take the pill and breastfeed. I think the shot only lasts 3 months. Never heard of a 3 year one.
  • Options
    bel194bel194 member
    The shot is good for 3 months.  I got it before and I wouldn't recommend it.  First of all I gained a bunch of weight (like 25 pounds).  And even though I didn't get my period for the three months, I still had really really bad cramps and headaches during the weeks that I was supposed to have it. I didn't get it again after the three months was up, but I didn't start getting my period regularly again for about another 8 months. I think it's supposed to take about a year after you stop getting it to become fertile again also so if you want to get pregnant again in a few years, it might not happen right away when you start trying.  We want to wait about three years also before getting pregnant again.  Right now I am thinking about getting either the Implanon or an IUD since they are long term and with the IUD (I dont know about the implanon), you can become pregnant again right after taking it out.  I've taken the pill before also but I had a really hard time remembering to take it every day. I just want something that is effective and that I don't really have to worry about.
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Options
    klyannklyann member
    My OB has already asked me twice about this.  I looked into Mirena (IUD) but ultimately I've decided to start with the Mini-pill then go from there.   We are 90% sure we are done after this one.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    After DS was born and I had the okay from my OB I went back on BC.  I made the decision after I found out that everything was okay with DS.  I didn't want to have another baby right away.  I think it is a responsible thing you are doing, though you should research all the different kinds of BC.  The pill is effective, but you have to remember to take it.  Supposedly the best types to get are the IUD or the ones that go under the skin if you are the kind of person who isn't good about doing things on a strict schedule.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

I have only ever used BC for 2 months of my life--between the wedding and honeymoon.  DH and I are each others one and only.  We did not want to get pregnant before the HM, but wanted to start TTC immediately.  So we tried to use condoms, but they didn't work very well (they wouldn't stay one properly), so that's not an option at this time.  Worked well enough then--we didn't get pregnant for another 10 months--but not taking the risk.

I don't want to go on any kind of homronal BC especially the pill. I know I would not take it consistently enough for it to work.  Some days I would want to take it at 6, others at 10. 

So, the thought is either a diaphram or an IUD (copper, non hormonal) for us.  I think the IUD will be easier and less messy, but I need to make sure it is covered by insurance, etc.  We would be using it for a little over a year because we will start TTC when this baby is around 18 months old. 

I haven't discussed it with my MW yet.  I think my mom is coming to my next appointment so that wouldn't be a good time, but the one after that (if I make it) will probably make sense.  Although that appointment will also have the induction conversation I think...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I did the mini-pill last time because I knew we'd be TTC again in about a year.

This time, we're probably done, so I'll get an IUD. Mirena is hormonal and good for 5 years; Paraguard is non-hormonal and good for 10. I'll get Mirena, as I tolerate hormones well and hope to have lighter/no periods with it. 

• Options

You need to go in for the shot every 3 or 4 months, and it's very unreliable if you miss your appointment by even a day.

I'm doing an IUD and no it isn't too early, in fact I would talk to your OB/GYN about it now.

In my case, it's terrible wait to get an IUD into my office. They have to go through all the insurance hoops before they can even order it and they have a waiting list because they can only order so many at a time. I was going to get it after my daughter, I asked for it at my 6wk PP app (in February) and they finally called me in late August to tell me they would have it in the second week of September... by then we had changed our minds and were TTC. So this time I told them I wanted it and to start the paperwork at my 24wk appointment so hopefully it will be in by my 6wk PP and I can have it put in right then and there. We definitely want to wait at least 3 years before having another. The IUDs vary but Mirena (the one I'm getting) is good for 5 years and I believe Paraguard (the other option of IUD) is good for 10 years and both can be taken out at any time.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

imagesomerandomchick:
    I would def talk to your doctor about your family planning options. Many hormonal contraceptives interfere with breastmilk production so if you're thinking about the depo shot that's one concern. Def talk to your OB or MW. And if you want an IUD to protect you a couple years I know they can implant it while you're in the hospital after delivery for ease and convenience.

This doesn't' sound right at all to me... 

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    No it's not to early to think about birth control , I had the IUD Mirena and had a very bad reaction to it non stop bleeding lots of weight gain and it made my depression worse when I went to the doctor to have it removed she couldn't find it as my body didn't like it and expelled it  , then about a week later I found out I was pregnant I am now 29 weeks 6 days pregnant . I'm not sure what birth control option I will use doctors are advising getting a tubal for health reasons and I'm considering it , it just scares me because it is surgery and permanent 
  • Options
    imageclizh:

imagesomerandomchick:
    I would def talk to your doctor about your family planning options. Many hormonal contraceptives interfere with breastmilk production so if you're thinking about the depo shot that's one concern. Def talk to your OB or MW. And if you want an IUD to protect you a couple years I know they can implant it while you're in the hospital after delivery for ease and convenience.

Um yeah.  Considering that you won't be able to have sex for at least 6 weeks minimum and I was specifically told by my OB not to have anything up there until she gave me the okay.  The risk of infection is really high after childbirth.

• Options
    We kind of already have BC picked out. If I have problems with that one then I have another one in mind but we will see what happens. We want 1 more and then after that DH said he was comfortable with getting snipped.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    kcox123kcox123 member

Not too early at all.

Obviously talk to your doc.

I did the shot in high school and college and looking back I think it largely contributed to my weight gain. I just assumed it was the freshman 15 but as soon as I went off it I dropped about 20 lbs within a couple months. It does last 3 months and is certainly convenient.

We have typically used condoms in between pregnancies as we knew we wanted a big family anyway. However, last time I had some issues with preterm labor and my doc wanted me to be sure not to get pregnant before 2 years after my last birth (since she knew I wanted one more kid). So I had the Mirena IUD. I liked a LOT exCEPT that I spotted more often than not. The entire time I had it (often they will tell you it may be like that the first 3-6 months or even a year - well I had it 2 years and it never got much better). But most people have NO period on Mirena and it's approved for 5 years continuous use (meaning you don't have to do anything for 5 years for birth control once its in).

I will probably either do the Mirena again or the copper IUD (I am scared by the heavy period stories on that though and I actually get a benefit in my complextion from the low-dose hormones in the Mirena since I have hormonal (cyclical-driven) acne.

I should add that we are 99.9% sure we are done after this child. But I am only going to be 33 at the birth and my OB doesn't like to do anything permanent until 40. And DH isn't keen on getting snipped anytime soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all of your suggestions and stories. I needed some extra info from people who have actually used bc.
    j J
  • Options
    As much as I would love to try an IUD/ Mirena, out of the 5 people I know who have gotten one, 3 ended up in the emergency room with SERIOUS complications. So, I would definitely suggest doing some research and talking to people who have gotten one. I went on the nuva ring At my 6 week appointment after having my daughter and loved it. It didn't effect my supply and I was able to breast feed for a full year on it. I took it out in August after my daughters second birthday TTC and was pregnant in september.
  • Options
    ehnastoehnasto member

I don't think it is ever too early in your pregnancy to ask. You want to have time to do research for what you and  your doctor think will be best for you and your family.

I was on the pill before we decided to get pregnant. Being off of it, I have now discovered that it made me psycho-crazy (kind of like most first-trimester moms). I was also on anti-depressants/anxiety meds when I was on the pill. I think the hormone balance in it as throwing my emotions off too. I have tried several different pills in the past all with a similar emotional resut. Not everyone is effected the way I am so I would still look into it if I were you.

• Options

I just wanted to weigh in with my experiences. I have used several forms of BC and have some personal reviews for them:

Condoms- If you can get your SO to wear them, always good to use if you are trying not to get pregnant, but i would still recommend another form of BC along with them. 

The Pill- Great option if you are good at remembering to take a pill everyday, if not you might end up with another surprise. That's how my first came along.

The Shot- If you cant remember to take a pill this can be a good option, i had Depo and it lasted 3 months till i needed the next one. However, my experience was horrible due to the fact it made me bleed non-stop when i was on it.

IUD- There are a couple to choose from, i had the Mirena implanted when my DS was about 2 months old. It was fine at first but after awhile i hated it, it gave me symptoms similar to early pregnancy causing me to think i was pregnant every month. I personally will not do this again, but everyone is different.

Tying Tubes- While this can be reversible, its usual done for women who dont want any more kids. This is the route i will be going after this LO, i will have the reversible one done just in case i change my mind on more kids later. Its an outpatient procedure and minimally invasive.

The ring and the patch- I have no experience with these at all.

As with any medication or surgery there are risks, please do your research and find what you are most comfortable with. I would honestly recommend taking the least invasive and least risky measures first and move on from there if it does not fit your lifestyle.

• Options
    i did uid after DD was born.  It was easy to place at 6 weeks post check up.  No,pain it was good for 5 yrs I could take it out before if need be and was able to breastfeed with it in.
  • Options
    Now is a great time to research options. I am going with the IUD which hopefully will help w. migraines.
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be going on the mini pill until DH has his vasectomy.

I was on Depo in my mid to late twenties. I love that I didn't have a period while on it but after being at the same weight for a few years I gained about 15lbs after starting Depo. I wouldn't take the shot again.

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • Options
    I got the Mirena IUD 8 weeks PP. I loved it. I never had a period on it, got it out at the end of Aug and got pregnant in October. I'll be getting it again after this LO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebel194:
    The shot is good for 3 months.nbsp; I got it before and I wouldn't recommend it.nbsp; First of allnbsp;I gained a bunch of weight like 25 pounds.nbsp; And even though I didn't get my period for the three months, I still had really really bad cramps and headaches during the weeks that I was supposed to have it. I didn't get it again after the three months was up, but I didn't start getting my period regularly again for about another 8 months. I think it's supposed to take about a year after you stop getting it to become fertile again also so if you want to get pregnant again in a few years, it might not happen right away when you start trying.nbsp;nbsp;We want to wait about three years also before getting pregnant again.nbsp;nbsp;Right now I am thinking about getting either the Implanon or an IUD since they are long term andnbsp;with the IUD I dont know about thenbsp;implanon, you can becomenbsp;pregnant again right after taking it out. nbsp;I've taken the pill before also but I had a really hard time remembering to take it every day. I just want something that is effective and that I don't really have to worry about.

If it's supposed to take a year to become fertile again, they would say the shot is good for a year...
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageeggymaye:
    imageclizh:

imagesomerandomchick:

Um yeah.  Considering that you won't be able to have sex for at least 6 weeks minimum and I was specifically told by my OB not to have anything up there until she gave me the okay.  The risk of infection is really high after childbirth.

My OB told me it can be put in before discharge from the hospital but he prefers to wait.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Liz4444Liz4444 member
    I'm getting Essure ASAP.  But that's permanent.  I was on the pill prior to Li and between her and this baby.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"