3rd Trimester
Options

Heart palpitations

Anyone else have heart palpitations. I had them before I was pregnant, and they increased during the first trimester, but seemed to go away. Until yesterday now they seem to have come back. I had an echo and ekg before I got pregnant for them and everything came back fine. Just was wondering if anyone was having heart palpitations and if they were common again during the late 3rd trimester.

Re: Heart palpitations

• Options
    I notice at night my heart races, seems to be normal
  • Options
    I get heart palpitations normally too, pregnant or not, but they have increased since being pregnant. I have mitral valve prolapse, but definitely have more now that I'm pregnant. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have gotten them in all 3 of my pregnancies. My OB says it is totally normal just due to all the extra blood during pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If it worries you call your doctor and let them know . I have heart palpitations and my doctor watches me carefully I also have heart problems
  • Options
    I had them in the second trimester and they suspected a murmur. I used to get palpitations before pregnancy because of a mitral valve prolapse. After an EKG in triage I saw the cardiologist for an echo and he said everything was fine and that if there was a problem with my heart that I'd generally feel very unwell and have other symptoms. That said, he said they like to err on the side of caution and check when women complain of heart palpitations. Pregnant women are the biggest proportion of his clientele and nine times out of ten it's nothing to be concerned about. My advice would be to tell your doctor and let them decide on whether it needs investigating further.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    jefkjefk member
    I was getting them due to my caffeine intake - I cut out the coffee and I've been fine.  I do notice that my heart races after a big meal, but I think that's pretty typical.  My doctor isn't concerned.
  • Options
    My doctor told me that it can be from dehydration. That seems to be my problem anyway because I notice that it usually happens in the morning.
  • Options
    I had a lot of heart palpitations towards the end of my first trimester and the beginning of my second. I found that the only thing that seemed to help was increasing my calcium intake. As soon as I raised my intake with supplements and drinking milk/eating ice cream, they went away.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I get them - I've had them before pg too & have had EKGs, holter monitor, etc & they never found any problems.  I mentioned it to my OB & he said not to worry - he asked if I got out of breath or dizzy, etc & I don't.  It's weird b/c I get them every night when I lay down in DS's bed to read him books - a few come on right away.  I was noticing them more about a month or 2 ago, now they subsided a bit.  Talk to your Dr but I'm sure you're fine unless you have other heart problems...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not to scare you but, if they last more than a few hours call your doctor and head to the ER.  I was just in the hospital for a week b/c of what I thought were regular heart palpitations....they lasted 12 hours for me, along with some weird arrhythmia.  I was diagnosed with SVT. I'm now on medicine to control it, but it was scary. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    dchebetdchebet member
    I am in my third trimester and I have them mostly at night when I lay down to sleep and they last about a minute.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"