June 2013 Moms
Options

Bouncing back after baby

Just curious, all you BTDT moms, how long did it take your body to bounce back after having your baby? I hear about some women who do it practically immediately, while it never goes back to normal for others. I know everyone is different, but I was just curious about your personal experiences.

Re: Bouncing back after baby

• Options
    Took me a year. Everyone is so different. I ended up gaining more weight after her birth and then when she was 9 months old realized I could even recognize myself. I joined weight watchers and it took 4 months for me I lose all my baby weight and then some. 50lbs total. This time, now that I know something that works for me, I'm super excited to start working at getting my body back to normal as soon as I get the ok from my doc.
    Baby girl #2 on the way! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    WhitWedWhitWed member
    I gained 30lbs with my first pregnancy and had already lost 33lbs. two weeks after delivery. I stopped bleeding/spotting after 4-5 weeks and was able to work-out again at 6 weeks.  I had a c/s.  My body bounced back, but was shaped a little differently than before if that makes sense.  I weighed less and looked thinner than before pregnancy (especially with breastfeeding), but also had more hips, bigger breasts, some faded stretch marks, and a small pooch above my incision scar.  So there are definitely pros and cons when it comes to surrendering your body (the biggest pro being my beautiful DD)!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm no BTDT mom but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it all depends on your genes, how much weight you gained during the pregnancy, and how active you've been before, during, and after the pregnancy.

• Options
    skioskio member
    Do you mean weight/fitness or feeling back to normal?

I mention the latter because I had a c/s and a crap recovery. Didn't feel like myself for almost a year because of the soreness, residual back pain, and general lack of that healthy feeling.

Weight/fitness wise, less time. I gained just over 30lbs with DD1 and all but about five pounds was gone by three weeks postpartum. But my hips were wider and my belly was loose. I wore my maternity clothes for about six weeks, then decided to bite it and buy two new pairs of jeans in a size up from what I had worn pre pregnancy.

Then, at 6 months pp, those jeans were suddenly falling off. I started working out again and walking a lot with DD by three or four months pp and that combined with time and breastfeeding made the rest of the weight fall off and my hips actually did go back to their previous narrowness. I ended up five pounds below my pre preg weight at my lowest before getting pregnant again.

My belly took almost a year to tighten up again, but I had some issues with separated abs.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I gained 28 lbs with DS. I lost 30 lbs by 6 weeks postpartum but still had to buy new jeans because my body was shaped differently. I managed to gain back 12 lbs in the few months after that boo!! And managed to get back down to my prepregnancy weight when DS turned 1...just in time to find out I was pregnant again! So...it really is different for everyone. I was back in my normal clothes by 6 weeks after while my best friend couldn't even get her jeans over her thighs by then. I really do think it's just about your individual body. Be patient with it amd be prepared to at least buy a few new pairs of pants a few months after giving birth.

• Options
    I managed to loos 10 lbs out of the 20 I gained. I was able to fit back into my pre-pregnancy pants by 4 months but I stayed with a stomach that looked like I was a few months pregnant. I didn't really try to loose the weight before but this time I'm going to try my best to get back to were I was before DS1. 

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Options
    I only gained 18 lbs with my DS and was back to pre preg weight within a couple of weeks and back into my clothes within a couple of months. I weighed less but my body was different. As soon as I stopped nursing, I started gaining weight because I was eating whatever I wanted and not exercising.
  • Options
    khaukekhauke member
    I lost some weight immediately, but gained quite a bit back at first. It was just a life style change. I started exercising more and losing weight a year and a half after, 'p90x' but became pregnant not too long after that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Our Fur-babies: Oliver, Leela, & Neville Our Puppies
  • Options

I was kind of a different case.  I ended up weighting less right after giving birth than I did before I got pregnant.  I had GD and lost weight.  I was back in my pre-pregnancy clothing by week 3.  This time around I've only gained 9 lbs, so I'm not sure how the "bouncing back" will be. 

• Options
    I got back to my pre preg weight at the end of the first trimester of this pregnancy.

Thanks, all day sickness!

ETA as far as feeling like myself, I don't think it'll ever happen.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was super lucky with DS. I gained 40 pounds and it was completely gone by the time he was 9 days old. At his 7 day check up, I was wearing my regular jeans even though I was still recovering with my csection.

Unfortunately, I gained probably close to 30 pounds back after I was back at work and more sedentary at my office job.

This time I hope the weight comes off quickly but I will also be a lot more conscious about eating better and getting some basic walking time in after the doc clears me for exercise. Nothing major but even walking a couple laps around my office building after pumping would be a start and taking our ridiculously steep stairs.
  • Options
    My body never went back and I worked out quite a bit. I even did the 30 day shred for 30 days straight and lost nothing. I gained 60 lbs with my first and lost 40 lbs of that within the first year. Never lost the extra 20. The good news is I have only gained about 20 lbs so far this time. 
  • Options
    I gained 35 lbs with my first baby and lost 50 lbs in 6 months. Did lots of walking in the stroller and breast feeding helped too. Gained about the same with my second, but it took about a year to get off just the 35 I gained with her. I'll tell you it's much easier to lose weight with just one baby to throw in a stroller and get your workout on! Take advantage of it! I'm praying that with this third one ill lose the weight bc they won't let me sit down ever!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A year. I mean, I was feeling better and able to do "normal" things about 8 weeks after giving birth, but as far as how it looked ... yeah, it took a  year.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    You are going to get a huge span in answers haha

It took me 5 weeks to look exactly how I looked pp. I have friends who took about that long, and other friends who took months or a year, or they never really got their body back. It really varies.

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • Options
    9 months. I'm not one who usually has to worry about weight it it was a very hard time for me.that alone was enough to make me not want to have another right away. It also made me watch what I eat more (not that I really gave in last time) this time so that it means less work later on. 

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• Options
    9 months. I gained 55 pounds and worked my butt off and starved to lose it. Looks like I will gain exactly the same amount again this time so I know the program. Wearing a belly binder after birth is what I credit for getting flat abs back.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I gained 31 lbs. with DD and it took me a month to lose it all.  I didn't work out or anything and give all the credit to good genes and breatfeeding.  I actually got down below my pre-pregnancy weight because the breast-feeding was burning so many calories.  However, I know several people who had a really hard time losing the weight or never did.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagePortlandValentineBride:
    9 months. I gained 55 pounds and worked my butt off and starved to lose it. Looks like I will gain exactly the same amount again this time so I know the program. Wearing a belly binder after birth is what I credit for getting flat abs back.

Ok, this makes me feel better. I have put on more weight than I expected I would. I was under weight before getting KU, so knowing it is possible to deflate again is reassuring. I just don't want to stay big. It's not me. :( 

• Options
    imageadeller11:

Ok, this makes me feel better. I have put on more weight than I expected I would. I was under weight before getting KU, so knowing it is possible to deflate again is reassuring. I just don't want to stay big. It's not me. :( 

I gained almost 80 lbs with DD1.  It's looking like it'll be about 60-65  lbs this time.  It took 9 months for me as well.  I lost 25-30 without even really trying and the rest required some work.  I joined a gym and did cardio/strenght training 3x per week.  I didn't really "diet" so much as I was just more careful about fast foods and sweets.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekristinrae914:
    imageadeller11:

I gained almost 80 lbs with DD1.  It's looking like it'll be about 60-65  lbs this time.  It took 9 months for me as well.  I lost 25-30 without even really trying and the rest required some work.  I joined a gym and did cardio/strenght training 3x per week.  I didn't really "diet" so much as I was just more careful about fast foods and sweets.

Thanks for this!I am looking at a 60 lb gain, which shocks me. I don't feel like I look like I have gained that much! I don't eat a bunch of junk, so hopefully it will come off relatively easily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"