VBAC

want a vbac after scheduled csection due to size

I had a csection the first time around scheduled at 39 weeks due to size ultrasound at 36 weeks, my son was born at 9 lbs 5 oz.

I am now 28 weeks pregnant with #2 and really want a vbac.  I want to be in the hospital for a much shorter time, don't want to be as out of it due to the meds, and want to go natural if possible.

My OB is very pro vbac but this baby was measuring big again at 20 weeks so she is concerned about size again.  I am very petite (5 feet 2 inches and 110 prepregnancy). 

Is anyone else in a similar situation?  As badly as I want a vbac, I don't want to try a vaginal delivery and have it end in an emergency csection.

Re: want a vbac after scheduled csection due to size

• Height has nothing to do with your ability to birth a child and late ultrasounds can be inaccurate as far as size goes. I have two friends who are both around 5 feet tall, one of them had 4 children who were all around 10lbs, last being 11lbs and the other had a 9lb child.

I know my LO was measuring in the 75%tile at my 20 week and my last cesarean was done due to cephalopelvic disproportion meaning a baby should not be able to come out of my pelvis but yet her I am VBACing soon. I just happen to have a supportive OB(ditched the one who labeled me with CPD) who believes that it is more about position then my pelvis.

I would focus more on optimal positioning doing things such as Webster chiro care to make sure everything is aligned correctly and up and walking during labor versus lying in bed. Also, squatting during delivery can help open up the pelvis from 10-30%

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My c/s baby was 10 lbs 2 oz (though the reason for my c/s was not his size and they felt I would have been able to birth him otherwise).

M midwife did not do growth ultrasounds because they are so inaccurate and I VBACed just fine.  I was 5'9" and 115 prior to both pregnancies.  My mother has several tiny cousins who birthed over 10 lb babies without issue.  I don't think your size has much to do with birthing. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • skioskio member
    Don't let your OB make you believe that you can't birth a big baby. Do you really think that your body would create a healthy child that is too large for you to give birth to? If all the women told that they're "too small" or "too narrow" to give birth to their babies, a huge percentage of women would've died in the pre cesarean days.

I am 5'6" and 115 non pregnant and had a c/s with my first, 8lbs13oz at 38w5d. She wouldn't descend and OB mentioned that I was tiny for such a big baby. I don't believe for one second that she was too big for me to deliver. I think it was the pushed interventions and my own lack of preparation.

There's no doubt in my mind that I can have a successful VBAC with another try and proper prep and education this time. This baby is measuring two weeks ahead, 80th percentile, just like DD1 was, and is on track to be 9lbs at 40w. I'm not concerned.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"