1st Trimester
Options

HCG Levels? Should I be worried? :'(

I got a blood test done on Monday to confirm pregnancy, and it came back positive, so they retested for HCG levels.  My doctor told me today that they were "34" which she said just means I'm not that far along yet.  They told me I am 4 weeks, 6 days along. They took more blood and will be calling me tomorrow to let me know if the numbers are doing what they're supposed to. 

I've been looking at things online and at 4 weeks, 6 days, everyone seems to have levels in the hundreds and thousands? 

I've already had one miscarriage and I am terribly afraid of another one.  Am I worrying for no reason? :(:'(

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: HCG Levels? Should I be worried? :'(

• Options
    You are still very early. If your doctor was not worried about how low the numbers are then I would try not to worry. As long as your levels continue to rise properly you are good. It is also very hard to tell exactly how far along you are in the very beginning. You may have just ovulated a little later and my have just gotten a really early positive. Stay as calm and as positive as you can. Best wishes for you and your LO.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageAFwifelife:
    One number doesn't tell you too much, it's more important that the number doubles.  Also, it is possible that you ovulated later in your cycle and aren't as far along as you think.

This.  I was going to ask, how do they know you are 4w6d?  Is that just based on LMP?  If so, you may just be earlier than that indicates - when did you get your first positive HPT?  My first beta was 39, I believe I was about 11dpo.  Things have gone well so far.  Best of luck to you!

TTC#1 since April 2011. BFP 6/1/12, mmc discovered 7/17, D&E 7/20/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first one was 20 then 70. I am now almost 9 weeks pregnant now and we saw a heartbeat of 170 at 8 weeks. She said my numbers looked great due to the doubling time, that's what matters. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageoneplusoneistwo:

imageAFwifelife:
    One number doesn't tell you too much, it's more important that the number doubles.  Also, it is possible that you ovulated later in your cycle and aren't as far along as you think.

This.  I was going to ask, how do they know you are 4w6d?  Is that just based on LMP?  If so, you may just be earlier than that indicates - when did you get your first positive HPT?  My first beta was 39, I believe I was about 11dpo.  Things have gone well so far.  Best of luck to you!

yeah she looked at a little chart and based it off of my LMP. I tested faint positive on April 28 and again on April 29. Then they drew my blood on April 30. My last period was very weird and only lasted 2 days, and then I spotted all throughout the month. So I was thinking I was preggo maybe since early March and my weird period wasn't really a period at all. But the low HCG's indicate that I did get pregnant in April. I just have no idea when. :/  

• Options

imagechemily8:
    My first one was 20 then 70. I am now almost 9 weeks pregnant now and we saw a heartbeat of 170 at 8 weeks. She said my numbers looked great due to the doubling time, that's what matters. 

That's very comforting. Do you know how far along you were when it was 20?  

• Options
    I was about 4 w 5 d when I had the second one done which was 70.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageProudmommy010314:
    imageoneplusoneistwo:

imageAFwifelife:

yeah she looked at a little chart and based it off of my LMP. I tested faint positive on April 28 and again on April 29. Then they drew my blood on April 30. My last period was very weird and only lasted 2 days, and then I spotted all throughout the month. So I was thinking I was preggo maybe since early March and my weird period wasn't really a period at all. But the low HCG's indicate that I did get pregnant in April. I just have no idea when. :/  

I would certainly not worry then!  You easily could have been testing what would have been early after ovulation, even though when you were thinking of LMP it made sense to test.  I actually got a very faint positive on 8dpo and then had my first beta on 11dpo that came in at 39.  I think you are just earlier than 4w6d...keep your head up, things could be perfectly ok.  Try not to overthink it, nothing you do will change the outcome, just try to stay positive and remember that today you are pregnant, and enjoy it.  Good luck!

TTC#1 since April 2011. BFP 6/1/12, mmc discovered 7/17, D&E 7/20/12
  • Options
    dnt27dnt27 member
    My first beta was 172 at 5w1d and the second was 461 2 days later. It not really the number itself, as long as it doubles your fine. I'm now 10 weeks and baby has a nice strong heart rate!
    Teagan Grace born 12.07.13

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

January siggy challenge
  • Options
    One number doesn't tell you much (unless it's under 5, then it tells you you're not pregnant) but it's the pattern they look for. As long as the numbers are doubling every 31-48 hours, you are fine. There is a wide range of normal betas, due to the fact that everyone ovulates at different times, everyone implants at different times, and everyone's levels rise at different rates.
    Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • Options
    Everything PP already mentioned - but sometimes it's nice to have a peace of mind that somebody else has had similar numbers - check out my siggy - my first HCG was at 12dpo (4 weeks) and 49 - then it tripled - and now I'm having twins with healthy heartbeats and all.  It's about the doubling not the number :) 
    Me: 30, DH: 40 
    TTC since January 2012HSG & Bloodwork: Normal, SA: NormalDx: Unexplained Infertility 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN (three cycles)
    50mg Clomid + trigger + IUI = BFP (one cycle)
    Beta #1 (12dpo) = 49  Beta #2 (14dpo)= 149

Expecting g/g twins Oct '13

• Options
    As PP have said I would worry more about if they are doubling :) You numbers had to start somewhere and in early pregnancy they are low. You may have ovulated later than you LMP would indicate so you might not be as far along as you think either. Good luck and keep us posted with your next beta!
    BFP 1/7/13 CP 1/11/13
  • Options
    They called today and said my levels have gone from 34 to 54.  Not entirely doubling, but the doctor didn't seem worried. She said she was pleased with the increase.  So I guess for now, everything is okay.......at least I hope. :)  Trying to stay positive and just take it easy for the next several weeks. Thanks for all of your encouragement.
  • Options

As others mentioned, one number doesn't tell you anything. You need two numbers.

My first HCG number was 9, which they don't even consider "pregnant", lol. I panicked too, but it kept going up after that so everything was fine. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    imagehomebird:

As others mentioned, one number doesn't tell you anything. You need two numbers.

My first HCG number was 9, which they don't even consider "pregnant", lol. I panicked too, but it kept going up after that so everything was fine. 

What was your second number after you got 9? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"