Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Just transitioned to the crib unexpectedly...

DS has been in the RnP by our bed since birth. Tonight I decided to stop swaddling and put him in the Magic Merlin sleepsuit to help transition just out of the swaddle. Well, he LOVED the suit and fell asleep super quickly, but when I put him in the RnP he was sort of kicking and hitting the sides, because the suit is bulky and sort of kept his arms up. So I just decided to put him down in his crib and see what happened. He looked up at me sleepily like, "Sure, why not?" and dropped like a rock. I can't believe it! We weren't even considering the crib until he was a little older and we could entertain the possibility of sleep training. I have no idea how long he will sleep or what the night will bring, but my emotions are torn. I am sort of relieved that we found a way to move him to the crib that works for him, but sad that we aren't sharing a room anymore. He's growing too fast!

Re: Just transitioned to the crib unexpectedly...

• That's how DD transitioned, and I was so afraid she would wake up I rushed to bed myself. Woke up at 5 the next day to her on the monitor giggling up a storm. Hope you have as much luck as I did!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Ironically, this may be the night I could get the most sleep I've had in months, and I probably won't because I'm a nervous wreck he is going to overheat. I have him in a onesie and no socks with the suit on, and the window is cracked in his room. It sucks because I wasn't prepared! I have a small table/night light that doesn't have a light bulb in it yet. I was going to keep it on so that when I went in there in the middle of the night I could see but it needs a special size bulb I hadn't picked up yet. I also have video monitors coming tomorrow from Amazon so that we could keep the door shut for naps and to keep the cats out of his room (they've been jumping in his crib when the door is opened). Well, the cats have to sleep in the cellar tonight! Luckily our rooms are three feet apart, so with both our doors open, I will hear him no problem.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's sort of how it happened for us too.  We stopped swaddling and put DD in Merlin in her RnP.  She was squirming and very uncomfortable so night #2 in Merlin she went into crib and slept 12 hours.  Glad it worked or you!!  We only used Merlin a couple weeks and she's now in a regular sleep sack in crib doing great. Naps still suck though!
  • kmosukmosu member
    We just did the exact same thing about 45 minutes ago.  We had been trying one arm out of the swaddle and the rnp but tonight he was super fussy so laid him on the changing table to put his arm back in.  He instantly stopped fussing so I put his arm in and put him in his crib.  He is now sleeping....we will tackle breaking the swaddle another night.  
  • I am very interested in getting one of those suits, but they look incredibly warm which is fine in the winter, but not for the summer. How much do they cost?

DD is 4 months and her pedi told us she needs to stop being swaddled. I'm kinda terrified!

ETA: She can roll from back to tummy. Is it safe to use it?

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBLPL101:

I am very interested in getting one of those suits, but they look incredibly warm which is fine in the winter, but not for the summer. How much do they cost?

DD is 4 months and her pedi told us she needs to stop being swaddled. I'm kinda terrified!

ETA: She can roll from back to tummy. Is it safe to use it?

They are toasty, but I have DS in just a onesie and he was not at all sweaty or clammy when he woke up. My house runs about 70 when he goes to bed and is around 65 when he wakes up in the a.m. I got mine for 39.95 at Amazon.com.  They make them all the way up until 9 months, so I assume they are safe for rollers because most babies are definitely rolling by then.  They have a website www.magicsleepsuit.com that has some safety info. there.

• I think it's a lot harder to roll with the sleepsuit on. So even if your baby can roll without it, it would probably be quite some time (months is my guess) before he can roll in the suit. I think there is something about this on the sleepsuit website.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"