Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

BITING???

Ladies I have a friend that needs help with her 18 months old little boy biting. Does anyone have any advice I can pass to her?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BITING???

• My son is 19 mos and has bitten me a few times in the last couple of months so I did a little reading about it.  He's only ever bitten me, and it's always been evening time, shortly before bed.  When he bites me, it's not milicious, it's like he has some pent up excitement and he tries to release it.  Actually, once or twice he bit me after hugging me and squeezing me really hard. 

Does he bite a lot?  Other kids?  From what I read, at this age there is such a huge surge of emotions at certain times, with certain triggers, and because their language isn't developed yet, some kids will bite to get out the feelings.  It could be negative or positive feelings they're having, but just don't know what to do with them.

It said to try and recognize the trigger (a certain child doing a certain thing like taking a toy, certain time of day when child is tired, etc), then try to avoid or redirect before the biting happens.  Also, don't overly scold or embarass the child in front of others, but let him know it really hurts, use words to say it's not acceptable, and then remove him from the situation and allow him to cry if he needs to get out more frustrations.  Explain again why the biting isn't acceptable, but don't dwell on it forever and ever.  They feel bad when they bite, they just need the proper intervention at the right time.

It makes sense to me.  It's just one of those things that you really have to be on top of and nip in the butt.

My son also thinks it's funny to whack the dogs and pull their tails while he's chasing them around, and each time he does it I stop him and say "gentle" and show him what gentle is.  It's totally working.  I've seen him stop himself and think about it, and then lightly touch their face or pet them the right way.  It's a bit exhausting, but I think he's catching on.

• Great advice thank you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"