October 2013 Moms
Options

Hospital gown delivery kaftan? What to wear during labor?

For mobile - Hospital gown delivery kaftan? What to wear during labor?

Hello! I am a FTM and pretty new to this board and the concept of being pregnant, delivering, etc. I saw this super cute hospital delivery gown kaftan on Etsy and thought it would be good to buy because it looks so pretty and comfy. Question though - could I actually wear this during delivery? What do you wear? If I'm walking around the room (and I plan to be as mobile as possible), are you expected to wear those awful gowns with your bum hanging out?

I'm just not sure this is practical and would love any and all advice from some mamas out there. Thanks from a FTM. Confused

Here is the link if the above does not work.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/113363253/hospital-gown-delivery-kaftan-perfect-as?ref=sr_gallery_29&ga_search_query=maternity&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=9&ga_search_type=all

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hospital gown delivery kaftan? What to wear during labor?

• Options
    I'm too lazy to search but we discussed these a few days ago. My opinion is I'm not buying something I will bleed all over. If you want one, get it, but plan on wearing it around the hospital after delivery. Some women pointed out their hospitals have strict rules and would not allow one, so check with your hospital.

• Options
    My hospital gave me 2 gowns one to wear with the opening in front and one to wear with the opening in the back so nothing was hanging out if I was sitting or standing.

Bringing your own gowns is up to you.  I went through a few because of the blood and spit up.  They didn't get real bloody but when your ice pack starts melting it mixes and gets on the gown.  Personally, I think bringing your own gown is a waste of money since you are likely to ruin it and throw it out.  If you are worried about your backside hanging out bring a light robe to throw on when you are standing up.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not helpful, but the word 'kaftan' is so funny to me. Makes me think of something the Golden Girls would wear out on the lanai.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I'm wearing my nursing sports bra and a super stretchy short black beach cover up skirt. But I literally get to the hospital, push the baby out, get them checked over and go home. I'll bring a wet bag to take my skirt back with me. The detergents on the hospital gown made me break out in a rash last time :(.
  • Options
    AjoydAjoyd member

imagesleepy33:
    Not helpful, but the word 'kaftan' is so funny to me. Makes me think of something the Golden Girls would wear out on the lanai.

I thought of Mrs. Roper!

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • Options

....during labor you won't care in the least what you're wearing.

And considering how disgusting it gets, no way I'm bringing that home to wash, hospital gown all the way, they can deal with it.

Now, something "cute" for recovery when all the baby-guest come sure. But yeah... more dark colors.... the bleeding... it continues.

• Options
    imageAjoyd:

imagesleepy33:

I thought of Mrs. Roper!

I always read it with a British accent, a la Bridget Jones.

My Heart!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagesleepy33:

This and I just have to add I pictured a 1970's turban to go with the kaftan as well.

Anyway, if hospital allows I'll probably wearing something of my own.

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• Options

photo 45ad94ec-8f7e-4e11-afa6-d58d009e0ecb_zpse556e368.jpg  image image

• Options

I honestly don't think I was aware of whatever I wore.  I think it was two hospital gowns, one forward and the other backward like a robe, open in front.  I didn't mind it at all and like the pps, thankful for not washing that myself.  ;)

Afterwards, I wore the underwear they gave me (thank you!) and some yoga pants, a nursing tank and bra, and cute lightweight robe, all of which I packed previously. At least that made me feel a little put together.  :)   

Personally, I don't think I'll buy a hospital gown because I'll probably never wear it again, and I'm just too practical for that.  I think they are kind of fun looking, though.   

DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Options
    My theory is that you'd need at least 2.  One will for sure get nasty and bloody, so you won't want to keep wearing it.  If I remember correctly, I would have needed 3.  One when I got there, another after the bloody show, and another after birth.  For me, it's just not worth it.  I really didn't care what I was wearing.  After birth, I just wore my jammies and a robe so I was comfortable.
  • Options

imageallymp13:

Stunning!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    During labor I was naked. I started off in a hospital gown and ended up getting hot and frustrated with my clothing so I took it all off. I did buy my own gown though and I wore it during the next few days. It was great for allowing the nurse easy access to my stomach and it was easy for breastfeeding. It was also super cute for pictures. It didn't look anything like a hospital gown. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I agree with all the ladies who said "let the hospital do the washing".  As a nurse (not in L&D) I will say that wearing the hospital gown makes life much easier for everyone.  You will get it messy and no worries, they'll just hand you a new one. And lets just say God forbid there's an emergency it's much better...nobody wants their fabulous new gown cut off (sorry I had to go there, I work ICU stepdown...emergencies are an occupational hazard).

Get something fun and comfy for after the delivery when everyone will be coming to visit you and see you're new baby :) 

• Options

If I were going to buy something like that, it would be for AFTER delivery.  Trust me, the whole delivery process gets pretty messy and I wouldn't want to buy anything that's just going to get ruined. 

That being said, after delivery, you will want something that is comfortable and won't make you look like a ghost in pictures.  That's the one regret I have from delivery with my daughter.  The hospital gowns are hideous and look awful in pictures (IMO).  This time, after I have the baby and get cleaned up, I'll be changing into something that isn't so ugly.  (But beware, you will still be bleeding a lot so keep that in mind with whatever you get).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The first time around I wore their horrible gown up until the point of pushing, then I ripped it off. I was so hot and uncomfortable, I hated it. The second and third time were c-sections, so I wore it to the point of the OR, then they took it off. But they are miserable. Just wear what is comfortable and what you don't mind getting all nasty. You sweat, can throw up, have your water broken, iodine from the epidural, blood, and several other bodily fluids....labor and delivery isn't all rainbows and sparkles like tv makes it out to be. As long as that kid is coming out, you don't give a rip what you look like, what you say, who is there or what you are wearing. 

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

• Options
    imageHFrizzle:
    The first time around I wore their horrible gown up until the point of pushing, then I ripped it off. I was so hot and uncomfortable, I hated it. The second and third time were c-sections, so I wore it to the point of the OR, then they took it off. But they are miserable. Just wear what is comfortable and what you don't mind getting all nasty. You sweat, can throw up, have your water broken, iodine from the epidural, blood, and several other bodily fluids....labor and delivery isn't all rainbows and sparkles like tv makes it out to be. As long as that kid is coming out, you don't give a rip what you look like, what you say, who is there or what you are wearing. 

Don't forget the poop while pushing.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I just wore the hospital gown since everything gets bloody and gross, I never felt hot so I didn't feel the need to take if off. After baby, the postpartum rooms had a different gown that was designed for nursing, I took advantage of that. For walking around the halls after I wore sleep pants, nursing tank and a light weight open sweater. I wouldn't waste money buying a gown, though some of them are very cute looking.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I wore a black dress. I didn't want to wear the hospital gown because it looked so darned uncomfortable, and I feel like they are dis-empowering.  While everyone's birth experience is different, I can honestly say that I was not a "bloody mess" after delivery.  The only point in time that my dress did get anything on it was when they layed dd on my chest, still covered in vernix.  And that was no big deal to me. 

I wouldn't wear the gown if they had told me it was policy, I would have been a bare naked lady over that! Like I said, I wasn't like gushing blood and fluids afterwards, so that may color my opinion. And I pooped while pushing, but at that point what ever you're wearing is up over your belly, not down underneath you, especially since the bed isn't even underneath you... I'd say buy something cute and comfortable!

BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the good advice. Seems I underestimated all the fluids! I'm a sucker for a good kaftan so I might just purchase for afterwards. Think I will pass on the turban, but who knows! Thanks again ladies, this was helpful and entertaining. :)

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

That kaftan is definitely very pretty.  IMO, it's not worth it though.  When I was in labor with my son, I really didn't give a hoot about what I was wearing.  I just wore the gowns the hospital provided.  I don't remember how it fit exactly, but I do remember for a fact that nothing was hanging out :p  What you can wear all depends on what your hospital will allow, I suppose.  I doubt any hospital will say you can't wear something that you brought with you, but it doesn't hurt to make sure ahead of time.  

ETA: I didn't even think of the fluids...yep, definitely a lot.  Even afterwards, I don't know if I'd want to wear something that pretty for a few days.

• Options
    I don't care what I'm wearing when I'm in labor.  But once all is said and done?  I totally wanted my pajama pants to wear under my gown!  That's what I cared about.
    DS/LO #1: Born March 2012 DS/LO #2: On his way! Due October 2013 image
  • Options

I will agree with all the ladies on the during. If I try for the VBAC, I plan on a sports bra and not much else (those gowns do not breathe).I wouldn't waste $ on this for delivery.

However, I did send DH a link to get me one for after delivery in case I have a second c-section. I barely bled after the first day or two and no pants were comfortable. I wore a lot of nightgowns and robes the next 3 days but this would be beautiful for pictures.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"