Babies on the Brain
Options

Deep Family situation Long (FFTC?)

I have stopped having a relationship with my youngest brother and his mother.

Backstory:  My brother is a functioning autistic, bipolar, schizophrenic mess. He also has a chromosomal abnormality called Klinefelter's. He was diagnosed at 8. His mother is my ex-stepmother. 

He is now 19 and has the mind of a 14-15 year old.  He is almost caught up to "normal mentality."  His mother is still not making him responsible for his actions. (My dad isn't a saint in the situation, either).  My dad is trying to make things better. He forces brother to go see his therapist and doctors.  Mother will not follow the directions of brother's doctors.  (Honestly, she never has.  At one point she was not allowed around brother.)  Over the course of the last year brother, has been in and out of jail and mental facilities.

My dad has tried and tried to get mother to see what she is doing. She goes behind dad's back and gives brother cars, phones, money, electronics, etc.  Things the doctors have said time after time he should not have.  My dad takes them away and all hell breaks loose. Brother lashes out and has a full blown bipolar episode. (I often wonder if he does it for the same reasons toddlers do it) About a year ago, my dad gave up.  He signed over brother to mother.   

I know this isn't fully brother's fault.  He is sick.  He needs structure and medication he isn't forced to take. She treats him like a normal adult/teen. He is not normal.  He is mentally disabled.  At the same time 14 year old kids know right from wrong.  14 year old kids get punishment.  Instead brother gets cars he isn't legally allowed to drive.  Phones he uses to commit crimes. (FTR I called the cops once I found out he was driving, my family thinks it was a neighbor) 

My dad was in denial for years.  They both let small things go.  Things my oldest brother and I would have never been able to get away with.  I think my dad had guilt for the way he treated my older brother and myself, along with guilt from my youngest brother's mental state. Once the larger things started it was too late to control the situation and he didn't know how.  He did take parenting classes and did a lot of research on how to handle a mental sick child.  

I much rather ignore the situation and not know what is going on. It hurts to see my brother in so much ***. The brother I took up for isn't the same brother anymore.  The brother I use to sit with  so my dad could get a break.  The uncle who adored my child, is no longer allowed to be around her. This *** hurts. It hurts to the core.  I have to do what is best for my child.  Brother snaps all the time now.  I want A to be innocent for a long time.  I don't want her to know my brother is capable of harming us. (before you say I am over reacting, he has broken my dad's nose and foot) I have made too many excuses for him.  I am sick of lying to my child.   

I am second guessing myself daily. I see brother posting things on FB and it makes me want to pick up the phone.  Instead, I just keep quiet.  I don't comment on his FB anymore.  I stopped responding to his IMs.  I feel awful, but it is best for me.  At some point I will delete him on FB. Just not today. 

Re: Deep Family situation Long (FFTC?)

• Options
    That's so tough, but I think you are making the best decision for you and your family.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    bevgcbevgc member
    I don't think you're overreacting at all. You have to do what's best for you and your family and you know what your brother is capable of. I'm sorry that it is so much to handle and deal with and for the strain it has put on your family. I have a friend whose soon to be brother in-law isn't invited to their wedding because of his destructive behavior due to his own mental illnesses and it was a really hard call for them to make. In the end, you have to protect yourself and your family. I hope that things will get better. Hang in there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I also don't think you are overreacting. I have no idea what it is like to have a sibling with such a disability, but I agree with your decisions, even if they are the hardest thing to do. Do what's right for your family. I think that's all you can do.

Hang in there! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageauntie:
    What a sad, sad situation. Your brother is an adult and no one can make him seek treatment for his developmental or mental health issues.
    It's sad that his parents were unable to coparent him effectively when he was younger and they were in charge of making choices for him. It's a shame because all of these issues were treatable to a large degree.
    That said, your responsibility is to your own little family. I think you are justified in having boundaries around him. At some point you will need to explain your actions to your daughter; think about how you can do so simply, factually and with some compassion.

Unfortunately, you are right. It still hurts.

I think living a state away has helped the situation. A doesn't have a lot of questions. She really doesn't miss him. She knew he lived with "friends" when we lived there. She got use to him being gone a lot. He was in treatment facilities

Thanks for the support ladies.
  • Options
    I am truly sorry for the pain you are feeling. You are right to protect A and your family first. ((hugs))
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Options
  • Options
    Haven't been around much, but read your post and thought I would share a resource with you.  NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) works particularly with families whose loved ones have a mental health issue.  Consider checking out if they have a local chapter - they may be able to offer some advice as you work through this situation.  Best wishes.   https://www.nami.org/
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageTremoloHoney:
    Haven't been around much, but read your post and thought I would share a resource with you.  NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) works particularly with families whose loved ones have a mental health issue.  Consider checking out if they have a local chapter - they may be able to offer some advice as you work through this situation.  Best wishes.   https://www.nami.org/

Thank you!  I am going to check this out.  It might be a great resource for all of us. I appreciate it.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"