3rd Trimester
Options

breast pump to stimulate labor?

Has anyone used their breast pump to stimulate labor?  I'm 39 weeks, 4 cm dilated, 75% effaced, lost my plug last week and have been having false labor for over a week.  Two nights ago i had contractions every 8 min all night long but they never got strong or more frequent and then fizzled out.  I'm wondering if i should use my breast pump to get my false labor really going if i have another night like that.  I"m getting exhausted with all of the non productive contractions.  Is there any guidlines i should follow if i decide to use it?

Re: breast pump to stimulate labor?

• Options

No, but you don't need to stimulate labor, imo. You're 39 weeks. It's normal for babies to be born anywhere from 38 - 42 weeks because a due date is just an estimate. Don't rush that baby out before it's done cookin'!

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    Bad idea. You have no way of controlling the contractions, you're not even technically due yet, and it won't do anything if you're not really ready anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagehomebird:
    No, but you don't need to stimulate labor, imo. You're 39 weeks. It's normal for babies to be born anywhere from 38 42 weeks because a due date is just an estimate. Don't rush that baby out before it's done cookin'!

Agreed. Relax and baby will come when they are ready.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Completely understand that i am not due yet and the baby will come when it really wants to, but the week of consistent false labor is really making me pooped.  My midwife thinks i won't make it to my due date...of course no one really knows.  I'm joking with my friends that at this rate, even though i've really progressed and i've been having a ton of false labor i'll still be late.  Thought i'd try something if i have a sleepless night of consistent contractions that go no where.  
  • Options
    I wouldn't.  I would walk walk walk then rest.  I understand you're pooped.  I can't imagine a week of false labor but know you're almost there!  You can do it!  Also pumping to stimulate labor won't do anything unless your baby and body are ready.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Alright, i'll keep walking, doing yoga and having sex. :)
  • Options

imageMeganIdaho:
    Completely understand that i am not due yet and the baby will come when it really wants to, but the week of consistent false labor is really making me pooped.  My midwife thinks i won't make it to my due date...of course no one really knows.  I'm joking with my friends that at this rate, even though i've really progressed and i've been having a ton of false labor i'll still be late.  Thought i'd try something if i have a sleepless night of consistent contractions that go no where.  

Everyone tells moms they won't make it til their due date. Guess what? Most FTMs go well after. I measured 3 weeks ahead at one point-gave birth 5 days after my due date. It is a good thing you're contracting-that means you're getting there. But you need to relax and rest, not try to bring this thing on faster than you're ready for.

• Options
    imageMeganIdaho:

Has anyone used their breast pump to stimulate labor?  I'm 39 weeks, 4 cm dilated, 75% effaced, lost my plug last week and have been having false labor for over a week.  Two nights ago i had contractions every 8 min all night long but they never got strong or more frequent and then fizzled out.  I'm wondering if i should use my breast pump to get my false labor really going if i have another night like that.  I"m getting exhausted with all of the non productive contractions.  Is there any guidlines i should follow if i decide to use it?

I wouldn't. I would have my DH do the nipple stimulation for me, and follow it up with some sex, and a walk after wards. All natural, ways to get labor moving- plus it works out for DH as he will be denied any sexy time for while. I wouldn't try and rush it- your almost there!! Few more days!! Enjoy alone time with your man! Catch a movie, do a dinner date, because it's gonna be the last for a while.

• Options

imageMeganIdaho:

Ha. People tell me that and I'm only 35 weeks. They have no idea what they're talking about.

I had false labor with DD and I didn't give birth until I was 41 weeks. I felt "done" too. Pregnancy is hard! 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    image2013sarabelleATX:

(Puts on hypnobirthing hippie hat)

You're not having false labor, you're having practice labor. Your body and baby are preparing for birth but not quite ready. Don't rush.

Love this! Right you are.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagehomebird:

No, but you don't need to stimulate labor, imo. You're 39 weeks. It's normal for babies to be born anywhere from 38 - 42 weeks because a due date is just an estimate. Don't rush that baby out before it's done cookin'!

'

I agree. You have to be careful with nipple stimulation because it can bring on strong contrax and make your ute really tired before it's ready for labor. 

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"