Parenting
Options

I scurrrrred!

Toddler translation: I'm scared.

It's DS1's new line and he is scurrrred of everything. His brother, peacocks at the zoo, daycare, a bottle of pizza sauce....

As cute as it is, I'm a little worried. Anyone else have a scardey cat? Was it a phase or is your child generally more timid?

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

Re: I scurrrrred!

• Options
    imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    Is he really scared or does he just like the word? I have a hard time thinking he's really scared of his brother. If it's just the word, maybe teach him that we "like" those things, not that they "scare" us?

Nope, he's scared. He makes a crazy face a d runs away and has to be coaxed back in the room. Generally it's short lived, but it's real.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....

• Options
    My Second son was scared of people.  Really, not just an act. He come out of it when he was four. 
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Is he actually acting scared or is he just saying it? DS says "I'm sad" a lot. When I ask him about it he hardly ever has an answer as to why he's sad... just wants some attention, I guess. 

He was scared of the dinosaurs at the Science Center, but we talked about it and kept going to see them... now he's fine.  

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 
  • Options
    DS isn't exactly a scaredy cat, but he says he is scrurred of lots of things, too. He is doing a lot of experimenting with emotions and seeing the reactions they get, so I'm grouping it with that.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagemamaREB29:
    imagekrptcmschfmkr128:
    Is he really scared or does he just like the word? I have a hard time thinking he's really scared of his brother. If it's just the word, maybe teach him that we "like" those things, not that they "scare" us?
    Nope, he's scared. He makes a crazy face a d runs away and has to be coaxed back in the room. Generally it's short lived, but it's real.

Didn't read this before I posted. It sounds good that it's short lived. Did his brother do anything?

• Options
    imageSoDoMojo:
    Is he actually acting scared or is he just saying it? DS says "I'm sad" a lot. When I ask him about it he hardly ever has an answer as to why he's sad... just wants some attention, I guess.nbsp;He was scared of the dinosaurs at the Science Center, but we talked about it and kept going to see them... now he's fine. nbsp;

It's hard to say. Some things I can talk to him about things and he's not really scared, they're just new like pizza sauce lol. But we watched Monsters Inc. on te weekend and took him to the zoo and both situations he was very anxious, clinging to DH and I and eventually had to be removed despite our best efforts to alleviate his fears.

ETA: yes, his brother roared at him like a bear.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....

• Options

imagemamaREB29:
    imageSoDoMojo:
    Is he actually acting scared or is he just saying it? DS says "I'm sad" a lot. When I ask him about it he hardly ever has an answer as to why he's sad... just wants some attention, I guess.nbsp;He was scared of the dinosaurs at the Science Center, but we talked about it and kept going to see them... now he's fine. nbsp;
    It's hard to say. Some things I can talk to him about things and he's not really scared, they're just new like pizza sauce lol. But we watched Monsters Inc. on te weekend and took him to the zoo and both situations he was very anxious, clinging to DH and I and eventually had to be removed despite our best efforts to alleviate his fears. ETA: yes, his brother roared at him like a bear.

Poor guy! Those damn peacocks have scared me a handful of times. They're loud!  

• Options
    kj07kj07 member

imagecatycate:
    DS isn't exactly a scaredy cat, but he says he is scrurred of lots of things, too. He is doing a lot of experimenting with emotions and seeing the reactions they get, so I'm grouping it with that.

Recently B has started telling us "lions are scawy.  monsters are scawy."  And he says, "I scawed," a fair amount too.  I think part of it is a growing awareness that the world around him is bigger than he realized and he can't always control it.  And part of it is part of a larger move on his part to explore with emotions like catycate said.

We had our first serious thunderstorm a few days ago.  B is scared of loud noises right now - he freaks out a bit but can usually be reassured and is okay pretty quickly.  He didn't like the loud thunder, but eventually I was able to relate it to drums, which he does like, and he was okay with it from then on out.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options
    imagecatycate:

I think this is probably what we are dealing with. Our reaction probably has a lot to do with it.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....

• Options

Mine has started saying this too. 

Also, "I'm sad."  We just started at a new daycare and it is killing me.  Sad

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We were in the car driving on the highway last summer and DD asked why we were stopped. I told her there was an accident and we couldn't move until they cleared it. She said, "Oh, an accident- that makes me sad". I couldn't believe her ability to understand empathy at 2 1/2 years old..
  • Options
    imageItsAllGravy7:
    I have no answers regarding how long it takes for them to "out grow" it, or if they ever do, but you are not alone. DS2 is a total pvussy. He is frightened of balloons, most people, the word "moo", loud noises vaccuuming is not a possible task with him in the house. He has pretty much always been Mr. Sensitive. He's a gentle soul. He won't sleep alone in a room or bathe alone either.

LOL! This is my DS1. We use the term gentle soul quite a bit. He's not aggressive at all, just shy, sweet and scurrrrrred if everything.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"