Attachment Parenting

Help! Cosleeping with my 16 mo and another on the way!

Any mamas out there have two in the bed or will I need to start moving dd to her own bed? I just found out I'm pregnant with lo #2 and my 16 month old is happily cosleeping with us. She nurses to sleep then sleeps through the night and wakes again in the morning to nurse and usually sleeps for another two hours. I'm super happy with our sleeping arrangements right now but now another lo is on the way! Any advice is truly appreciated.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
AnniversaryImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Help! Cosleeping with my 16 mo and another on the way!

• We cosleeping with 2. R is 17 mon E is 1 mon. I just put E on the outside an R on the inside between me and DH. the first couple of weeks were rough while R got used to E waking up, but it is easy now and we are all getting plenty of sleep. There is nothing quite like beig snuggled up with your kiddos. We have a kingsize bed though. It would be really hard with anything else.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you for the suggestion we have a king sized bed too so it may be a possibility. I talked to dh about it and he doesn't want dd getting used to sleeping in between us. When we decided to cosleep with our first we agreed to never have our children sleep in between us because we want/need that connection at night for the health of our marriage. He'd rather put lo #2 in a bassinet and then the crib and/or try to move dd to her own bed. I just can't see trying to sleep train dd at this point. 
    AnniversaryImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • My 2 year old son cosleeps with us and I am due with our 2nd in the beginning of July. I too have been worrying about the sleeping arrangements. However, my worries might be a little different. My son ended up co sleeping because he breast fed at night till he was 21 mths old. Now he is just used to it. I dont want it to be the same with with our second, so I plan on putting her in a bed side sleeper until she is older and then it will be the crib. However, I am going to try and get our first into his own bed before she comes because the problem is he snuggles right against me/on me and if I try to move or get out of bed to empty my bladder he wails and makes me take him with me. There is no way I can do that every time I have to get up to tend to the newborn when she gets here so something must be done.

For when your second comes, I recommend just using a cozy sleeper, swing, or bassinet to keep her close by. If you are worried about your current one kicking you in his/her sleep while you are pregnant, just sleep with your back turned towards your LO or put a pillow if front of your belly between the two of you. Dont worry too much though...,my son kicks, pokes, shoves elbows, etc into his sister all the time and has not hurt her yet fortunately.  He loves to take up the whole bed ( we have a king and there is no way I can fit the newborn in it because of him!) and wiggle.  Of course, there is always the option of getting your LO into a toddler bed but that is up to you and where yall are at in terms of wanting to or not. If you are wanting to, weaning from breastfeeding at night would help some (if you are ready to wean). It just takes time is all and go with your gut! Goodluck!

imageimage
  • DS2 sleeps on one side of me in the bed/in the crib sidecar. DS1 sleeps between DH and I. We do start DS1 in his own bed (a floor bed in another room) but he comes in when he is ready. We also have then nap seperately unless an adult in in with them, though now that DS2 is crawling we feel more comfortable about his ability to "defend" himself if big brother rolls in his sleep. In terms of nursing, DS1 self-weaned when I was 37 weeks PG, otherwise I would've tandem nursed. I was afraid that one boy would keep the other up with crying, but they sleep through each others' fussing really well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"