Adoption

XP from SN: CP expectations in foster care

It's been awhile since I've checked in here but I'm in need of some guidance with our SW's and Owl's CP dx.

Our agency SW's intern visited yesterday, she asked about Owl's CP (cerebral palsy, dx'd with mild ataxic CP a month ago) and what we plan to do about it, I was kind of stumped by the question since CP is CP and we can't exactly make it go away. She asked if I had talked to our pedi about the dx and wanted to know what the pedi wants to do about it.  I'm taking Owl in for shots in a few weeks and will discuss the dx at that time but what should I be expecting from the pedi?

The ortho who dx'd the CP said Owl doesn't need any therapies since it's mild, the PT we met with agreed she doesn't need PT and is getting inserts to help with her pronation, she also showed me how to stretch Owl's arms and legs to help with the mixed tone.

The SW is looking to change Owl's goals and I'm not sure what to tell her, Owl is a little slower at learning and doing things but she has the ability to do anything. Her cognition is low (at around 18 months and is not CP related) and the only way her CP becomes obvious is when she runs because she stumbles, flails, and falls a lot.

I feel like they are looking for a doom and gloom answer from me but all the dr's so far have said everything will be fine.  How should our expectations/goals for Owl be adjusted as far as her CP goes?  She can do anything any other 18m-3yo can do, it just takes more effort and more time to learn.

Sorry if this is all over the place, I'm having a hard time forming what I want to say.

Re: XP from SN: CP expectations in foster care

• It sounds like your SW's goals need to be adjusted instead of yours. You're following the guidance of the PT and Owl's doctors, and will modify as necessary. That sounds like all you really need to do at this point.

Caveat: I have no SN or CP experience, but it sounds like you have things well in hand

• imageDr.Loretta:
    It sounds like your SW's goals need to be adjusted instead of yours. You're following the guidance of the PT and Owl's doctors, and will modify as necessary. That sounds like all you really need to do at this point.Caveat: I have no SN or CP experience, but it sounds like you have things well in hand

Thank you. I feel like we are following the right course of care for her but the SW's keep talking about it like they expect more to be done for her which isn't necessary right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with Dr L. If her medical team isn't recommending any therapies, or further care interventions, you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. Maybe the SW doesn't know enough about the CP dx?? Not sure why she would have asked you that question.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"