December 2010 Moms
Options

S/o baby/toddler clothes

In theory, having two kids of the same sex is moneysaving, since you've got lots of clothes already...

But once I found out I was having more than one boy, I've been justifying buying nicer, new clothes for DS1, anticipating that DS2 will also get some good out of them. Am I alone in this?

I relied 80% on hand-me-downs & consignment stores/garage sales for DS 1. But now I'm getting picky! (I'm feeling guilty, especially since I just made a long list of things to buy/fix in our house before my due date....toddler bed, new dresser, double stroller...the list goes on and on).

Re: S/o baby/toddler clothes

• Options

I still plan on sticking to consignment sales for the forseeable future because I have noticed that LO always manages to stain clothes that are my "favorites" anyway. :) I just haven't noticed a correlation between something being more expensive or a better brand and really lasting all that much longer.

Example? LO's $45 Matilda Jane dress got stained at Easter last year and yet the $3 Carter's ones I bought on consignment did not. Just my luck!! Wink

I always manage to buy clothes that are in like new condition and a variety of brands at the consignment sales, so that is nice too.

My friend had 2 girls exactly 2 years apart but one was so much bigger than the other one that she had to buy all new clothes anyway! It's funny how you just never know.

• Options

You're totally right about the expensive favorites getting stained more quickly than the cheap finds!

Ok, ok, I'll rein in my reckless spending...really I haven't done too bad - just 2 pair of new pajamas and a pair of rainboots I probably wouldn't have sported for unless I knew they'd potentially be worn by two kids.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We are pretty lucky in that my nephew is turning 6 soon.  My mom buys a lot of his clothes because she likes to shop, and so my awesome sister just passes buckets of clothes down to us.  We didn't have any size 2T for whatever reason, so I bought those at a consignment sale, but for the most part, we are set in clothes for awhile.  Sometimes the seasons don't match well since they are both little for their age and her kid was a summer baby.  However, my giant DS2 should be able to wear them because nephew is teeny tiny and DS2 is not, so the seasons might match!  When I do buy something, I buy it used if it seems like it will save money.  They generally look new anyhow and the JBF sale I go to usually has a lot of nice brand name stuff for cheap.  I don't buy used shoes though if I can help it.  I splurge on Stride Rites for half sizes.  I think shoes mold to feet and every kid deserves shoes that fit correctly! :)  Not to mention that kids are just hard on shoes, so I've never really seen a pair in good enough condition to actually reuse.  Other than that, my kids rarely get brand new clothes or brand new toys.  Most of our toys are consignment too...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Haha, I TOTALLY do this. We either get hand me downs, or new clothes. I don't shop at consignment, mostly because I haven't needed to. Lots of people give us clothes as gifts, plus I like to shop sales and pick out my own new clothes for the boys.

Speaking of seasons lining up, because Alexander was so small, he wore 18 month clothing this past winter when he was actually 2. But Benjamin seems on track to wear those same clothes this winter, when he is actually 15 months. So although they are almost 2 years apart, they are only wearing clothes 1 year apart...I already put the 18 month stuff right in Benji's drawer as Alexander outgrew it in the past few weeks!

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    I buy C nice stuff because he's going to be our only child.  I do however buy most of that at consignment or on resale pages and then resell it again!  The nicer brands really do hold up much better.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Nope. I rarely have bought clothes for either of my boys. We got A TON of hand-me-downs from various friends/family. They are the first/only grandchilden for both my mom and MIL right now - so they like to buy them clothes here and there.

But I'm just a pretty cheap person in general...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    two boys here and they've both used 95%  of the same hand-me-downs.  i guess if we had all new stuff for O, i could see feeling like i'd want D to have one or two new things of his own.  but since O had all used clothing too, i am not compelled to buy anything.  people have been very generous with hand-me-downs, and at this age, they are still in great condition. that might change when they get older and the first child wears things out faster.  we will see.  also, if we had expendable income, i might feel differently...but we just have other things to prioritize right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"