October 2011 Moms
Options

Penny and Crystal

How do you plant your potatoes? I cut them up to callus over, but I'm curious how you plant them. I've read and heard different techniques.

imageimage
Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

Re: Penny and Crystal

• Options
    I don't do potatoes...sorry!
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    C'mon you guise!

::throws arms in the air::

I am nervous to kill everything I planted, because I am the opposite of a green thumb.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Okay, here's the "County Girl" to tell you all you have to do is cut the potato up into quarters and plant it.  Make sure it has plenty of good soil, we usually add fertilizer (and by we I mean my parents b/c we live in town and there's no good soil to be had here)  It will sprout from the eyes and all that on it's own. From a land of potato farmers I can tell you ya don't have to wait until it sprouts to plant it.

ETA: I spent many months on a potato harvester come fall time, and have family members who are potato farmers :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Also... buy seed potatoes, do not plant cut up potatoes you buy from the grocery store. More info here: https://umaine.edu/publications/2077e/

• Options
    imageAngLK987:

Okay, here's the "County Girl" to tell you all you have to do is cut the potato up into quarters and plant it.  Make sure it has plenty of good soil, we usually add fertilizer (and by we I mean my parents b/c we live in town and there's no good soil to be had here)  It will sprout from the eyes and all that on it's own. From a land of potato farmers I can tell you ya don't have to wait until it sprouts to plant it.

ETA: I spent many months on a potato harvester come fall time, and have family members who are potato farmers :) 

thank you for your insight! 

The sprouts have already formed inside from having to wait for the weather to clear.  We have great soil here, so I don't think I will use any fertilizer.  Also, do you make the hills over top the potatoes?  

imageimage

• Options
    We always did rows that were "hilled" up, I think my parents made rows then planted them after, I'd have to ask, I usually helped after the fact. 

• Options
    I was told at the garden center in Lowe's to plant 1-2 "eyes" face up to one mound.  My girlfriend said she doesn't do that at all and has had success growing potatoes.  I can't keep this stuff straight.  It makes me nervous and a little farty.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"