Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Can you "confuse" a 6 week old?

I'm trying to transition LO to his crib. It's been interesting. For example, yesterday he took a nap in his crib from 2-5 and then slept there from 7 to 10. At 10 I fed him, and because I was thoroughly exhausted, decided to finish the night in the bassinet in my room. He was restless and fussy, so at 4 he came into my bed until 7.

Now today he wouldn't tolerate his crib except for 45 minutes in the mid- afternoon. He slept for short periods in my arms or in the bouncy. Tonight we plan on him sleeping in the bouncy in the living room with my H so that I can get a good nights rest. 

My mom tells me that I need to be consistent with the crib, and that  ill confuse him by letting him sleep in multiple places. I feel that I can't confuse him yet at 6 weeks. My goal is to get him in the crib full time, but not at the expense of our sanity. Right now were doing whatever allows me and him to get the most rest. 

Thoughts?  

Started TTC 2/2009
Started fertility treatments 11/2010
Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
6 failed medicated IUI's
Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
Decided to adopt - 6/2012
SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
Here we go again...
Due 8/26/19!

Re: Can you "confuse" a 6 week old?

• I personally do not think you can confuse a 6 week old. I think all babies have a preference and that preference probably changes when they are more gassy, feeling more alone/overstimulated that day, etc. My little guy prefers to sleep next to me, but if he is really tired for example.. I can move him to his bouncer.. and if I am feeling lucky I move him to the Pack-N-Play and once in a blue moon will sleep in that for more than 45 minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with that. Once J was just completely inconsolable. Typically, crying means hold me. I was getting frustrated because he was grabbing my hair  and scratching me so I sat him in his bouncy. He immediately shut up. He needed a break from mommy and contact. They do know what they want! 

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageClandestineX:
    I personally do not think you can confuse a 6 week old. I think all babies have a preference and that preference probably changes when they are more gassy, feeling more alone/overstimulated that day, etc. My little guy prefers to sleep next to me, but if he is really tired for example.. I can move him to his bouncer.. and if I am feeling lucky I move him to the Pack-N-Play and once in a blue moon will sleep in that for more than 45 minutes.

I agree with this.... and do what you need to do to rest and have a rested babe 

5.18.11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker EDD 3.12.13
  • I doubt a 6 week old can be truly confused and even if they can, it's hardly your biggest concern right now. The first 3 months or so are seriously all about survival and adjusting. Eat, sleep, cuddle, poop, repeat....that's all that matters at this age and there's plenty of time to worry about developing behaviors later on.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageClandestineX:
    I personally do not think you can confuse a 6 week old. I think all babies have a preference and that preference probably changes when they are more gassy, feeling more alone/overstimulated that day, etc. My little guy prefers to sleep next to me, but if he is really tired for example.. I can move him to his bouncer.. and if I am feeling lucky I move him to the Pack-N-Play and once in a blue moon will sleep in that for more than 45 minutes.

This. I also think what they prefer changes sometimes daily.

LO is 12 weeks and still in the bassinet in our room. We have not actually tried the crib yet.... I keep meaning to do naps in there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • can't confuse a 6 week old. They aren't aware of WHERE their sleeping.  I put my LO to sleep everywhere-crib, swing, sling, arms, anywhere really. the only thing she's aware of is if she's with me or not, and if she's swaddled or not.  

the only thing i would say is to continue putting him down for his first stretch in his crib just so it's a consistent bed time routine. I think where you put them down for the first stretch of night is part of the effectiveness of a bed time routine.

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"