Adoption
Options

Opinions?: Cord blood banking & adoption

Hi all,

DH and I are keeping busy during the waiting phase by reading up on some decisions we'll have to make someday (fingers crossed!). I'm just starting to read about cord blood banking, and so far, I haven't come across anything that talks about it from an adoption perspective, either in terms of logistics or potential future use by the adopted child. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Is it something you would/have considered? Why/why not? Any good sources of info you can point me to?  Thanks!!

Re: Opinions?: Cord blood banking & adoption

• Options
    This peaks my curiosity. Perhaps one of the larger companies has information about 3rd party rights and storage?
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Options
    Not really interested in doing it. In our situation it wouldn't have been possible, and I wouldn't have wanted to ask DD's birthparents to try and think about that along with other stuff if it had been possible. I'm also not sure it's worth the $ and effort, but that's more the cynical scientist in me who only knows a little bit about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used cord blood banking with our biological daughter.  It is not an option for us with adoption since we will be doing international, but had we done domestic, I would have been very interested in this as well.  I bet there is someone you can talk to at the companies that do cord blood banking.  The one I used was very helpful when I called with lots of questions.  I would say maybe start there and see if they have any resources.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
  • Options

imagefredalina:
    imageDr.Loretta:
    Not really interested in doing it. In our situation it wouldn't have been possible, and I wouldn't have wanted to ask DD's birthparents to try and think about that along with other stuff if it had been possible. I'm also not sure it's worth thenbsp; and effort, but that's more the cynical scientist in me who only knows a little bit about it.
    I'm kind of in this camp. I think it's harmless and could some day possibly maybe but doubtfully help LO. However it is pricey and must be done at birth, a time when the mom might change her mind. If you decide before the birth to bank the blood, who pays? Does she have to consider paying. You back if she changes her mind a few hours or days after birth? What if it already burdens her to think about along wih everything else?

I'm here too.  I was actually at the dr's today and she had a little cord banking sponsored poster up--- the statistics just don't really add up. I don't think it's worth it. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am not convinced of the medical usefulness of cord blood banking, but from an adoption perpective, I think it's a difficult situation. Making any kinds of medical decisions for a child before termination papers are signed is a very tricky thing. I posted recently about something similar and ulitmately came to the decision that i cannot start parenting until the kid is mine to parent, you know? I think I had a problem with the assumed entitlement that a request like that might carry, even if that's not my intention at all. So I decided against what I was considering. Just wanted to share my process on how I came to decide something similar.

• Options
    I am a pediatric nurse.  In my opinion, it is definitely not worth the expense to bank your child's cord blood.  Many of the diseases/disorders that you child may need stem cells (what is harvested from cord blood), you would not want your child to receive their own cells back.  In other situations where your child would benefit from receiving their own cells, they often can be harvested at that time.  So it is already a very small chance a child would need stem cells and then only a small percentage of the time would you want your child to receive their own cells back.  Many of the companies do not have good storage practices and the cells can be compromised while they are being stored.  However, I do highly recommend any pregnant mother consider cord blood donation into the general pool as it could save another child's life. 
  • Options
    Milk teeth banking is also an option, as far as storing stem cells go. You wont have to decide until they start losing their teeth around 5 or 6.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We donated our cord blood to a bank when bio DD was born, which was free and could help any child who is a match and needs it. 

Our Adoption Blog & Fundraising Efforts

Heading to China in November 2014 to bring our son home!

• Options

I have a biological son who has a rare blood disorder which could likely lead to a bone marrow transplant in his future.  We didn't do cord blood banking at his birth, but it wouldn't have helped him since his cells are genetically duplicated. 

Due to my current son's genetic issues and a previous loss due to neural tube defect, we are thinking of pursuing adoption for future children.  

IF we have another biological child, I would use cord blood banking.  Although it may not help the child donating it, it could cure my other son.  I know many adoptions do not have biological siblings (although I have seen a couple recent posters who have this situation pop up) but using cord blood could help save a sibling in the future.  It is hard to imagine the difficult choices and health problems that can occur until you are in that situation.

I also love the idea of donating to a cord blood bank to help others who may be a match. In adoption this would probably have to be something the BM is in favor of as well.

Pregnancy #1: Baby boy 'poppyseed' who was lost at 22 weeks. EDD 12-28-09 D&E 8-27-09
    Pregnancy #2: Sucess! DS born 8-30-10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did it, we spoke to BM ahead of time about wanting to do it and she was okay with it. We researched many companies ahead of time (ended up with ViaCord, many of them seemed quite similar, my sister had used them and had good experience).  We recognized there are limitations to the process but for us we wanted to do it since we would not share genes w/in our family and medical professionals w/in our family thought it was a good idea. 
  • Options

Everyone, thanks so much for all the responses. Lots to think about and consider. The EM is leaving the decision completely up to us, and we are grateful to be in the position to even have the choice. 

Off to google milk teeth banking!

• Options
    edited June 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"