High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Bed Rest for short cervix

Hello- looking for some information regarding a short cervix.  Im pregnant with my first child, and have had an amazing pregnancy so far. At my anatomical US @19weeks my cervix appeared short (2.8) but there were no major alarms. I had follow ups and at 26 weeks my OB says im 50% effaced. She immediately put me on complete bed rest which was the last thing I was expecting. My trans-vaginal US at 26 weeks showed 2.6cm- my OB did not give a number, just a percent. Says im still firm, and not dilated at all. I tried to go to work today, but as an emergency room RN, its impossible to "take it easy." I started feeling heavy pressure to my lower abdomen which has made me decide that I need to listen to the OB, and I came home to start bed rest. She is starting me on progesterone suppositories, and a follow up in 8 days.

Anyone else have success with suppositories? I read a lot about P17 but that has not been suggested to me yet.  My OB also can't seem to give me any reason as to why this is happening. Anyone have a short cervix one pregnancy and everything fine the next? Im a young (27) athletic and active person with no history for anything that would put me at risk.   I have a very supportive husband I just don't know how I will deal with bed rest for at least 7+ weeks without helping with groceries/laundry/dogs. 

suggestions for activities welcome and any advice/stories regarding short cervix would be helpful. I currently have had no spotting, no contractions, and only feel MILD pressure starting today.  are there signs I should look out for?

Re: Bed Rest for short cervix

• Options

I had the same happen when I was pregnant with my first child. I went for my 28 week appt and found out cvx was short, effaced, and 1 cm dilated. I was put on strict bed rest (and then modified bed rest at 34 weeks) and I credit that with keeping my son cooking until I was released from bed rest at 37 weeks (at which point I went into labor after being back at work for 1/2 a day). I had the same heavy pressure when walking around. Definitely follow your doctor's advice. It sounds like you are having real contractions, which cause the cervix to shorten, efface and eventually dilate. Bedrest has worked for a lot of us (I am unfortunately on bedrest again this time at 24 weeks with twins).  Don't think about 7+ weeks, just think about one week at a time. Every week, every day, the baby stays in makes a big difference.

Do you live in an urban or a rural area? I live in Boston and we get our groceries and most toiletries delivered. Dog walkers are also available. Forget doing laundry - though you can help sort and fold : )

I am on progesterone suppositories this time as well; not last time. I have no idea if they are helping. But they aren't hurting.

Blocked tubes due to ruptured appendix
    IVF#1 Ectopic - tube removed; FET#1 CP; IVF#2 BFP!
    Beta#1 13dpo 115; Beta#2 15dpo 248; Beta #3 20dpo 2215 U/S#1 6w1d HR 99; U/S#2 8w HR 165; U/S#3 10w HR 176 and moving all around!
    Bedrest at 28 weeks due to preterm labor; released to modified bedrest at 34 weeks; released to full activity at 37 weeks
    BabyNantucket born at 37 weeks 4 days 7lbs8oz 19in

Success is getting up just one more time than you fall down.

• Options
    Oh and there is a daily bed rest check in if you are intested -

Beta#1 13dpo 115; Beta#2 15dpo 248; Beta #3 20dpo 2215 U/S#1 6w1d HR 99; U/S#2 8w HR 165; U/S#3 10w HR 176 and moving all around!
    Bedrest at 28 weeks due to preterm labor; released to modified bedrest at 34 weeks; released to full activity at 37 weeks

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had this from out of nowhere last pregnancy. I was around 26 weeks I think? I even had a positive FFn test.

I ended up being induced at 39.5 weeks after an entire summer of bedrest.

I was told it was a fluke and would not have any bearing on me carrying future kids (although my OB basically ordered me to give my body at least a full 2 years off). 

Fast-forward to this pregnancy. My cervix was only 2.7 cm at my 20 week a/s which my OB called "the gray area." However, it was checked again at 24 weeks and was anywhere from 2.8-3.0. So I am not on any restrictions yet. They will check one more time at 28 weeks. If that shows stable I am hoping to avoid bedrest this time! I may just have a short cervix naturally...

I also had no symptoms other than pressure. No spotting or noticeable contractions. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemdudiak:

Hello- looking for some information regarding a short cervix.  Im pregnant with my first child, and have had an amazing pregnancy so far. At my anatomical US @19weeks my cervix appeared short (2.8) but there were no major alarms. I had follow ups and at 26 weeks my OB says im 50% effaced. She immediately put me on complete bed rest which was the last thing I was expecting. My trans-vaginal US at 26 weeks showed 2.6cm- my OB did not give a number, just a percent. Says im still firm, and not dilated at all. I tried to go to work today, but as an emergency room RN, its impossible to "take it easy." I started feeling heavy pressure to my lower abdomen which has made me decide that I need to listen to the OB, and I came home to start bed rest. She is starting me on progesterone suppositories, and a follow up in 8 days.

Anyone else have success with suppositories? I read a lot about P17 but that has not been suggested to me yet.  My OB also can't seem to give me any reason as to why this is happening. Anyone have a short cervix one pregnancy and everything fine the next? Im a young (27) athletic and active person with no history for anything that would put me at risk.   I have a very supportive husband I just don't know how I will deal with bed rest for at least 7+ weeks without helping with groceries/laundry/dogs. 

suggestions for activities welcome and any advice/stories regarding short cervix would be helpful. I currently have had no spotting, no contractions, and only feel MILD pressure starting today.  are there signs I should look out for?

Hi welcome to the bed rest club sorry to hear about your shorten cervix , I don't have any info on this  .

I can give you some pointers on bed rest , drink lots of liquid and ask your doctor about a stool softener , being on bed rest will slow down your bowls and that can lead to stomach pains and cramping , drink some prune juice if you can stand the taste to help in that area as well as eat lots of fiber.

Research and read up on your medical conditions and also asked questions when you think of them .

Have your husband change the sheets on the bed every week , more often if you like , plan menus and write out grocery lists based on your meal plans 

Have your friends and family come visits if the asked if they can do anything let them do household chores to help you out  , don't be shy if they ask is there anything I can do and something needs done then let them help out .

I know it is hard being on bed rest take it one day at a time and try and structure your day so it goes by .

learn a new craft or hobby something easy that you can do while on bed rest   

• Options
    I guess that is why I am confused. I have no symptoms really and at 26 weeks my cervix was measuring 2.5-2.7. Official doctors read was 2.6 at 26 weeks.  My doctor originally thought I was just short. Do I need strict bed rest at this point? an FFN test has not been offered yet but I will ask about it at my appt. next week.  I read about people who are around 1.5 and still aren't on bed rest. I don't want to jeopardize my baby at all but I feel like I am not in a scary zone. 
  • Options

I had a short cervix with my twin pregnancy (they're now 2.5-years old) and delivered at 36w4d (so nearly full term for twins) after being on bedrest for 13w. At that point, my dr. was hoping that it was just the weight of the twins causing the short cervix.

I'm now 32 weeks pregnant with #3, and my cervix started shortening at 20w. They did a cerclage at that point, and I've been on strict bedrest ever since. I'm hoping to get off bedrest around 36w (so 4 months of bedrest). DH has been doing all the care for our two toddlers, our house, etc. If he can do it, your DH can too! :)

The dr's have now told me that since I had a short cervix with a singleton pregnancy, I will have cervix issues with all future pregnancies b/c my cervix is just incompetent. It had nothing to do with the twins the first time. So, if we decide to have #4, I'd have to do a cerclage around 12w and maybe avoid bedrest. Basically, if you have a short cervix and only have one baby in your belly, you'll likely have issues in the future too but because they know about it, they can start taking preventative action sooner.

Good luck! Bedrest really, really sucks, but take it seriously b/c it's the best thing for your little one. 

• Options

imagemdudiak:
    I guess that is why I am confused. I have no symptoms really and at 26 weeks my cervix was measuring 2.5-2.7. Official doctors read was 2.6 at 26 weeks.  My doctor originally thought I was just short. Do I need strict bed rest at this point? an FFN test has not been offered yet but I will ask about it at my appt. next week.  I read about people who are around 1.5 and still aren't on bed rest. I don't want to jeopardize my baby at all but I feel like I am not in a scary zone. 

For this pregnancy, I was given a cerclage when my cervix got to 2.8, and my cervix has stayed in the 2.6-2.8 range ever since, and I'm still on strict bedrest (no standing except 10 minutes to shower, eat all meals laying down, only allowed to do stairs 1-2x per day, I haven't left the house in 2 weeks, etc.). You're not in the scary short zone now but you also don't want to get there. Because when you do, then they'll admit you for hospital bedrest. During my twin pregnancy, I spent 4 weeks in the hospital when my cervix got below 2 b/c I didn't take the bedrest precautions seriously enough when my cervix was still at 2.6 or so.  

• Options
    Effacement and heavy pressure to your lower abdomen when walking around are symptoms.

• Options
    imagemdudiak:
    I guess that is why I am confused. I have no symptoms really and at 26 weeks my cervix was measuring 2.52.7. Official doctors read was 2.6 at 26 weeks.nbsp; My doctor originally thought I was just short. Do I need strict bed rest at this point? an FFN test has not been offered yet but I will ask about it at my appt. next week.nbsp; I read about people who are around 1.5 and still aren't on bed rest. I don't want to jeopardize my baby at all but I feel like I am not in a scary zone.nbsp;

You said in your original post that you had heavy pressure in your lower abdomen those are symptoms.

I know I'm jumping in here I was on BR for a short cervix 29 weeks, measuring around 2.2. I was ordered strict bed rest, baby came at 34 weeks. Things can change so quickly. Trust me... Bed rest is worth every second. Good luck.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

I agree with the PP's that your symptoms are heavy pressure and a shortening cervix and those put you at risk for preterm labor.  My story of my pregnancy sounds pretty similar to yours.  I was working in a stressful job and finishing my masters degree, age 26, and athletic build-no reason to think I would have any issues with a pregnancy.  My anatomy scan was perfect, a cervical length of 3.6 cm.  Over the next 6 weeks I kept feeling pressure and was complaining to my OB about it and they just said it was normal.  At 24 weeks I ended up in L&D with timeable contractions and a shortening cervix.  They put me on BR for a short cervix and PTL.  With my follow up appointment I asked about progesterone and they put me on suppositories until I was 36 weeks.  They are gross, but they seemed to help. Even with BR I had contractions daily and my cervix continued to shorten. For my next pregnancy I will be getting the P17 shots.

I would take BR seriously.  It sucks, bust amazingly, things do get done.  Your husband is just going to have to step up and play every roll, which sucks for him but it is really only a short period of time in retrospect to your child's whole life.  I participated in the BR check ins on this board, researched a million things online, read blogs, watched TV, shopped online, and made a count down until I could get off of BR.  I tried to stick to a schedule with showering, reading, etc. as best as I could to help pass the days. The days that I had Dr.s appointments, I would always drive through starbucks or some place and get myself a treat since that was the only day I would be out that week.  I delivered my son at 38 weeks exactly after 13 weeks of bed rest.  It sucked, but it was totally worth having a healthy baby boy.  Best of luck!   

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    in my last pregnancy, I felt a lot of abdominal pressure and pelvis pain but OB said it was normal. cervical length was 3cm at 20wk US, not sure what it was after that but I ended up delivering at 34wks. Not too bad, but baby still had 2wk stay in NICU.

this pregnancy, cervical length at 20wk was over 3cm. at 25wk it went down to 2.5cm. my OB said it was borderline and sent me to LD triage to monitor for contractions. I felt fine and did not want to go, but she insisted. Went to LD that afternoon and I was having contractions that were not painful and I couldn't feel. My cervical length measured at 1.5cm with funneling. from the time I saw my OB to the time I went into triage 5hrs later, my cervical length had shortened 1cm!

They immediately put me on magnesium to stop the contractions and betametazone to help baby's lungs in case I went into labor. I was on hospital bed rest for 5 days until my condition was stable.

Hospital bed rest and procardia Q4H helped get my cervical length back to 2cm with no funneling. I've been on strict bed rest since 25wk, and it has positively helped me get to 34wk. I'm hoping to hang on for at least another 2wks and make it to 36wk so that baby won't need any NICU time. Been there, done that, and never want to go through that again.

Long term bed rest is hard, but it works and it's best for you and baby. I'm only allowed up to use restroom, short shower every other day and weekly doctor's appt hospital sent a wheelchair for my weekly dr visits. At least you don't have a little one to take care of. I have a toddler and two dogs! My family helps out on the weekend, but during the week I had to hire full time help. She watches my toddler, cooks, clean, laundry, and groceries. Expensive, but definitely worth it.

Good luck to you and keep that baby cooking!
  • Options

At 20 wk a/s my cervix measured 1.8cm so they had me start the progesterone suppositories. The dr. Explained these are best for a shortened cervix because it goes directly to the problem to hopefully strengthen the cervix. They also said that int a group of 100 women with this issue, 40 would have a per-term birth, since they don't know which category you'll fall into, they treat everyone the same. In most cases they aren't sure what causes it.  At 26wks my cervix had continued shortening to 1.1cm, so I was put on bed rest at that point. It had been getting shorter at checks between 20 and 26 wks. My next check was 28 wks and it was still measuring around 1.1, maybey closer to 1cm. So in my opinion bed rest seems to be helping! 

I haven't had any symptoms with my shortening, except the lower pressure, but that wasn't very often.  I have been on bed rest for 6 weeks now! There are definitely days when it sucks, but like everyone will tell you, it is worth it because every day you keep the baby in counts! 

The nurse told me she learned how to draw when she was on bed rest, I've started crocheting, I would suggest picking up a hobby for sure! I've also read books, I put together my baby registries online since I hadn't done that yet. I shop online (maybe not the best thing, but it's helped to get some baby/maternity things I'll need). I've also been lucky enough to work from home 12hours a week, and I've had plenty of visitors! Great friends and family! 

I've had a hard time watching my husband have to get all the housework done, but he's been incredible! He won't let me help at all because he is terrified of our baby coming early. It's just one of those things you have to learn to let go!

One more thing (since I've been rambling on now), there are a bunch of lists out there for signs of preterm labor, pay attention for any of those. One of my dr.s said that the thing he would expect would happen is my water would break. They basically said to call or go in if anything feels weird or painful.

Good luck to you! I hope you find a way to keep yourself entertained! :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"