January 2013 Moms

Laundry List.....

Ok ladies.  I have a laundry list of issues and questions.  Please do not feel obligated to answer all of them :)  thanks in advance!

1. Breastfeeding:   DS is now 14 weeks old, he is still eating every 2 hours....even during the night.  I tried pumping recently and only was able to get 2.5 ounces out of 1 breast.... so am I not producing enough to satisfy him for longer?   I do have lots of frozen milk and DH gave him 4 ounces the other night just to see if he would sleep longer....nope....but he had a VERY full diaper in the morning :)

2. Breastfeeding issue #2: I have breast implants, I have had them for 10 years (and hate them, but that is besides the point), well my body is "rejecting" the left breast suddenly and I have formed capsular contraction which means the implant will need to be removed BUT this can not be done until I have stopped breastfeeding for 3 months.  I am still producing milk out of that breast and DS can still latch on just fine and I am NOT ready to stop, I want to go to 1 year....however it is continuing to get harder and hurts, does anyone have any thoughts on this.  I was told this is NOT affecting my milk or its supply.

3. SLEEP: DS does not sleep well in his crib or his cradle.  I am a SAHM right now (well unemployed, long story) and for all naps I have been working on putting him in is crib but he will only sleep like 20 minutes then is a total crab until his next nap.  DH has a habbit of putting him in his swing and he sleeps great in his swing but I am trying to avoid that...thoughts on making the crib a better experience for him?  No we do not swaddle him anymore he wakes himself up trying to free his hands (he is a thumb sucker) and in general just does not like to be swaddled (even with hands free).  In his cradle at night he sleeps max 2 hours before he wakes to nurse again.

BTW he is also a big boy, at 14 weeks he weigh's 16# and he is 25 3/4 inches long.

Sorry for all the questions, I may be a 3rd time mom but it has been a LONG time (10 years) since I had an infant.  Some things I remember and others I do not :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Paige 8/5/99, Kara 7/22/03 and Benjamin 1/19/13
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

10 losses 1996-1998, 2 losses 2001-2002, 3 losses 2010-2012, loss 1/2014

Re: Laundry List.....

• 1. are you sure he's actually hungry every 2 hours or just fussy for another reason?  DD will take the boob whenever I offer it, but if its been less than 3 hours I give her the paci first and that almost always satisfies her.  I understand you might not use a paci, but maybe see if he'll suck on his hand?  And pumping 2.5 oz from one side is actually very good.  It doesn't sound like a supply issue to me. 

2. can't help you with this

3. naps are crap at my house too.  I say let him sleep in the swing for now.  He'll get better at napping as he gets older.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Pumping is not an accurate representation of what baby is getting nursing at the breast.  Some moms just don't respond well to pumps.  A better indicator of whether a baby is getting enough milk is if they're gaining weight and growing properly (sounds like he is), having an adequate amount of wet and dirty diapers, and if he seems satisfied.  If you're really concerned you should look in to do a weighed feed to see how much milk is transferring.  Pumping won't tell you anything though. 

As far as the sleep issues it sounds frustrating, but totally normal.  Some babies still wake frequently overnight.  They'll grow out of it.  It's also not at all abnormal for a baby not to want to sleep in a crib or cradle.  IMHO do what works.  If your LO will sleep well in a swing, let him sleep in a swing.  I think you need to examine why it's something you don't want to do.  FWIW, DS was a swing sleeper for ~6 months.  One day it just stopped working, we transferred him to his crib, he was happy, slept well.  It worked for us :shrug:  IMHO people get far too concerned about where their baby is sleeping.  As long as it's a safe situation, let them sleep where they want to!  Why force something else if you have something that's already working, KWIM?  But you have to do what you're comfortable with.  This is JMO :)  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe he is going through a growth spurt right now? DD did the same right around when she would hit a growth spurt increased need to be held or rocked and frequent feeding and my milk supply is fine.

DD still sleeps with us I have given up on the crib idea for the time being since we all get more sleep that way, so I don't have any suggestions regarding nap time other than maybe alternate his napping places swing and crib to ease the transition to the crib?

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and props to you for being so dedicated to BFing!
  • DD is still waking up every 2-2.5 hours. Honestly even though she's EBF I think I'm overfeeding her. I'm trying to use the No-Cry sleep solution to help teach her not to wake to eat/pacify in the middle of the night so often. Good luck, I'm in a similar boat. No cry seemed to be working but we went on vacation like 4 days after starting so it all went to sj!t
  • 1. Like PP said, 2.5oz is really good for one breast. I work 10 hours a day and pump 3 times while I am at work. The first pump I will usually get around 3 oz per breast, then 2 each everytime after that. So nom, I don't think is it a supply issue. Especially if he seems satisfied after you feed him.

2. Can't help here.

3. I posted something similar about my husband putting DS in his swing all the time. The other mommas said to just let if be. Let him sleeop where he is most comfortable. I let it be, and 2 weeks later, he is now in his crib sleeping through the night. If your DS is still cranky when he wakes up from his short naps, he obviously needs to sleep longer. My DS was a cat napper for the longest, but he was happy when he woke up so it was good enough for him. So one, I would say use the swing for now. He will let you know when it is time for a change. And 2, I would honestly say leave him be when he wakes up. Even if he is fussing. Now if he is having a meltdown, then yes go get him. But if he is awake and just whining or fussing, let him be and he might go back to sleep. Even if he doesn't fall back asleep, the alone time in there might still help him get some rest.

And if he wakes in 2 hours, try other ways to soothe. Nursing shouldn't always be your first soothing method. I did the same thing for a while and realized he was hungry, just wanted to comfort suck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"