January 2013 Moms
Options

Poo talk...

So I apparently need feedback today as this is my 3rd post today.  I have never posted this much before and I was on the site almost daily throughout my pregnancy. 

Anyhow, I have introduced cereal into my DD's formula fed bottles as she is constantly hungry.  She is 16 weeks and I am now noticing that her poo is thicker and not nearly runny.  Granted she has only pooped every 2-4 days to begin with but I notice that now it is more frequently 3 or more days.  Anyone else adding cereal and noticing a difference?  She seems to strain as well when she does, I feel bad for her because she looks like she is in pain.  It is not solid though, thank goodness...

~Misty

Re: Poo talk...

• Options
    Cereal can definitely cause constipation even with older kids that are better able to digest it.  You really shouldn't be giving cereal in a bottle or at all at this age.  It's only recommended sometimes for babies with reflux.  It's never recommended because you think they're not getting enough with their formula.  I would recommend you stop giving it to her completely until at least 6 months of age and only then with a spoon.  Grains are very hard for babies to digest and their guts are not yet developed enough to even attempt it at this age.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

See everything I have read and heard says that between 4- 6 months is ok to start with cereal as long as she responds well to it.  She is 4 months old and doesn't seem to have any issues with it.  I did read however that it is better to do the cereal in bowl form rather than through bottle to help differentiate between "eating" and drinking a bottle.  I have an appt with her ped this week, so I will have to ask about maybe switching it to the oatmeal rather than the rice.  Or just introducing foods other ways... 

~Misty
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemistd78:
    See everything I have read and heard says that between 4 6 months is ok to start with cereal as long as she responds well to it.nbsp; She is 4 months old and doesn't seem to have any issues with it.nbsp; I did read however that it is better to do the cereal in bowl form rather than through bottle to help differentiate between "eating" and drinking a bottle.nbsp; I have an appt with her ped this week, so I will have to ask about maybe switching it to the oatmeal rather than the rice.nbsp; Or just introducing foods other ways...nbsp;

You are correct. The AAP recommends starring food between 4 and 6 months, depending in your babies readiness. The recommendation is based on if your baby has reached certain milestones. But everyone has their own opinions on this. We started DS on cereal with sweet patatoes this week and he loves it. He no longer has the tongue thrust reflex and does great with a spoon. We only do cereal for dinner so we really haven't noticed much difference in his stool.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    Rice is known to be binding and can cause constipation. Some parents have success with oatmeal.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"