February 2012 Moms
Options

S/O Leashes...

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE ON WILL YOU OR WON'T YOU!!!!!!!!!

If you use one (or plan to use one) how long do you plan to use it for?  Until they are 3? 4?  I'm just wondering how long you think you may use it for. 

Will you keep trying the stroller even when they are older?

I'm honestly wondering, no snark.  I have no idea how long kids stay in strollers and when they are ready to walk around the whole time...

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

Re: S/O Leashes...

• Options

I don't have one and hope to never need one, but I think the prime age may be between 18 months and 3 years.  I don't think they are a good idea at this age because I think they are more of a hazard than a help.  If I think it is that unsafe for me to have my kid walking I will put her in a stroller screaming and all.  I think past the age of 3 kids should be able to follow direction well enough to not need a leash, unless you have a discipline problem (This may be my UO).  And around 3 I think they will be strong enough to pull away even with a leash.  I'm not crazy and know they will get the random urge to run off in a parking lot or into the street in the split second you turn around, but I also don't think anyone would be using a leash 24/7 to prevent every single opportunity to do so.  This is solely based on my interaction with others and family and friends experiences. 

Sky hates strollers now, but I do know most kids still need a stroller option until at least 2 1/2 if you will be doing a lot of walking.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We don't plan on using a leash. We will probably stop using the stroller next spring/summer time. However we will probably use the wagon a lot coming up this summer. My sister has twins and stopped using the stroller when they were 2. They always wanted to be out of it looking at stuff. The only reason she used it was to carry the diaper bags, lunch or other items. I don't think kids should be using a stroller after the age of 4 or 5. (unless the kid has a disability...totally ok then! )
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Like most things, I think this probably depends on the individual child.  FWIW my DS is 3.5 years old and 42lbs/40+" tall.  He would look ridiculous in a stroller, and I'm pretty sure he would not fit in our BOB or umbrella stroller anymore.  He would also look a little funny with a leash at this age too. Typically he walks wherever we go.  If he's interested in what we're doing (zoo, park, etc.), he can walk for hours.  If we are going on like a hike or something, he'll get lazy and not want to walk for as long.    

We usually end up giving him piggy back rides or shoulder rides a lot if we are walking far distances.  He also loves riding his bike and scooter, so we take those a lot of the places we go.  Wagons are good options too.  If we're at the grocery store or Target or something, we'll get one of those massive carts with the area to stand or he'll catch a ride in the big part of the cart.  I think by 2-3 a sit and stand type stroller really works well.  I think toddlers don't necessarily want to sit in a stroller, but they may not want to walk long distances either, so the ability to catch a ride while standing and have the ability to get in and out quickly works well.  We stopped using a stroller with him around the time DD was born, so he was about 2.5.  

ETA: I wanted to add that he's also perfectly capable of listening to us and understanding that he's not to run away.  He knows not to run into the street and is somewhat afraid of cars.  Discipline works at this age, and he knows that if he misbehaves, we will leave, and that's never fun for him.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageStarbuck128:

I will put away the leash once he's old enough to understand what I'm saying and understands the dangers of moving vehicles. I have no idea when that happens. 

I don't know how long we will use a stroller. I can't leave him at home while I walk the dogs, so until he starts some sort of school and I can walk them when he's gone, I guess he'll be in a stroller.

I have no frame of reference for what is normal about this. My parents never owned a stroller.  

Agree with the walking the dog thing...We have to put her in the stroller now to walk our dog...I'm hoping next year she will be able to "ride" her bike with us though!  FX  I was thinking stroller would be done around 3-4 (closer to 4) unless we were at like an amusement park or something like that.

No stroller = mind blown!  I can't even imagine!!

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"