Maine Babies

**FredsNey**

I just read your post below about your concern for your baby being behind and I have the exact same concerns!  DD just had her 2 month appointment where the doctor also diagnosed her with torticollis.  We have an appointment with the OT on Monday for it.  As a result of it she also has a flat head on the side she prefers.  She also has started to hate tummy time.  We will put her on her tummy and she will immediately scream and not even try to lift her head.  I feel like I did something wrong by not encouraging her to do more tummy time when she was younger.  I also feel that her torticollis is my fault because I didn't do more earlier.  The doctor said that holding her upright and having her work on head control counts as tummy time since it is still working her neck muscles.  She does enjoy this so we'll continue this.  But I am concerned that she won't build up muscle strength in her arms as a result of it.

It's nice to know that someone else is going through almost the exact same issues!

Re: **FredsNey**

• Wow--we do have the same concerns!  Like you said, it is nice to know that someone else is dealing with the same issues. 

DD was diagnosed with Torticollis when she was just over 2 months old....we had gone to see an OT because she was having a terrible time eating (like an hour to take a bottle) so we thought she had something wrong with her mouth.  The OT picked up on the Torticollis when she was doing her assessment.

DD has a flatter side to her head and has a preference to turn her head to the left.  She was born this way--it has to do with how she was positioned in utero but I still felt like I should have done something to make it better once we realized she had a preference and a flat spot because we picked up on that pretty quick but thought it was just an innocent preference. 

I have to stretch her neck a couple times a day and encourage her to turn her head to the right by positioning her and/or her toys.  (She cries when I stretch her neck...makes me feel like I'm hurting her even though I am very gentle and have to do this to make her better.)   

We started tummy time when she was a week old, so starting sooner may not have made much of a difference for you.  DD still hates it now and is just more vocal about it. 

She does like when we hold her upright so we do a lot of that too, but like you I worry because she's not building up strength in her arms the same as she would on her tummy.  

Good luck with the OT!  We'll have to check in with each other and compare notes : )

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"