October 2011 Moms

XP: Need help with toddler bed for 18 month old

Hi Ladies

This is a repost

Just recently my 18 month old climbed out of his crib. To prevent himself from getting hurt we put the toddler rails on his crib. The night we did that he still managed to climb the remaining side of the crib (he knew we would come in and get him if he did that). So my husband and I bought him a low toddler bed. We gated his door but he is TERRIFED!! He gets so upset at night he makes himself throw up. Any advice on how to adjust them to a toddler bed with gated door? Do I lay down with him till he falls asleep? CIO?

Also, I am giving birth to baby #2 in 7 weeks.

Thanks ladies!!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Need help with toddler bed for 18 month old

• If you haven't done CIO before I would try a gradual CIO where you go in every few minutes extending the period of time and not really paying attention to him, just putting him back to bed. Could you try putting some toys out for him and maybe not being so strict about bedtime? Thats what I did with my first. He didn't have to go to bed but he had to be in his room. Do you leave his door open or closed? I would not start laying with him until he falls asleep especially with baby #2 coming soon.
  • I have no advice since we are not moving DD into her "big girl" bed (toddler bed) until this weekend.

However, I just wanted to say:

1) Hi !

2) Where the heck have you been?

3) I'm so happy for you !!! (re: LO #2)

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • Loading the player...
  • Put a pack in play in the room.  That way if he freaks out at night in the toddler bed you can put him in the play pen.  Second, start with nap times as the time to put him in the bed.  He will get out and walk around but it's less scary to be in a new bed during the day than at night,  once he has figured out the nap time in the toddler bed then he should be okay with a night time thing.  

If he gets out of bed, let him play. He will go to sleep.  Eventually.  It may be on the floor but he will still go to sleep.   He will start to figure out naps and bedtime in the bed and stop getting out all of the time.  It just takes a while. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"