Baby Showers
Options

Money to a baby shower?

I got invited to a baby shower.  The invite asks guests to bring a few dollars to play a game.  I am assuming the money will go to the mother for baby expenses, but her registry is also listed.

Is this typical?  I have only been to 1 shower before and I didn't need to bring money to it. What are your thoughts?

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Money to a baby shower?

• Options
    I think it's ok, especially if they plan on having a prize for the winner of that game. I am going to ask my guests to bring a box of diapers to be entered into a raffle. I also read that guys can bring a box of diapers or $10 to enter in a poker game. Stuff like that. :) Read that on here, too. 
  • Options

imageninanorwalt:
    I think it's ok, especially if they plan on having a prize for the winner of that game. I am going to ask my guests to bring a box of diapers to be entered into a raffle. I also read that guys can bring a box of diapers or $10 to enter in a poker game. Stuff like that. :) Read that on here, too. 

Did you continue reading about what a horrible idea that is?  I'm already buying you a gift, how rude to ask me to also buy a box of diapers....or money for a poker game.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Rude. I'm buying a gift, a card, wrapping paper, dressing myself nicely, transporting myself to the shower, and taking 2-5 hours of my time to spend with the MTB. I do not want to spend more money on a raffle, a poker game, or diapers. Diapers are expensive! If I spend $30-$50 on a gift, then get wrapping and a card (sometimes another $7-$10), I don't want to buy a pack of diapers that cost $20! So now I've spend $60-$80 on the shower, but the original gift itself is only something that's maybe $40 from the mom's registry. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    No, it's not typical. Don't take if you don't want to. It's a shower, not a fundraiser.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I've played the game where you pay 50 cents per guess and you write the gender and date of birth for the new baby, whoever was right (or came closest) got 1/2 the pot or a couple of scratch tickets. 

I didn't mind playing but it certainly wasn't on the invitation, it was there for whoever wanted to participate.

• Options
    Nothing says "thanks for celebrating my baby" like panhandling guests!
  • Options
    imageninanorwalt:
    I think it's ok, especially if they plan on having a prize for the winner of that game. I am going to ask my guests to bring a box of diapers to be entered into a raffle. I also read that guys can bring a box of diapers or 10 to enter in a poker game. Stuff like that. : Read that on here, too.nbsp;

You must have read it in a post titled "Is this Tacky?" but then didn't bother to stick around for the responses, which on this board would have all said "YES." Telling guests how to spend their money is never ok.

OP, being asked to bring money to play games is NOT normal. It's up to you whether you want to play or not, but I'd personally side eye the invite and then choose to not participate in that portion of the shower.
  • Options

imageRoxyLynn:
    Nothing says "thanks for celebrating my baby" like panhandling guests!

lol, this! 

• Options
    It's not ok to request guests to bring anything. Games at showers should be free. I think it was a horrible request and I would decline to play a game I had to pay to play.
  • Options
    Tacky and not normal. It's a baby shower not a charity event so no money should be asked for.
  • Options

imagequestra8:
    Lol! My husband got invited to a baby shower by a friend he hadn't seen in years who was throwing her own shower and demanding that everyone bring white onesies to tiedye. Blah.

Dear Lord, how many tie-dyed onsies does one need? 

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    imagemsmerymac:

imagequestra8:
    Lol! My husband got invited to a baby shower by a friend he hadn't seen in years who was throwing her own shower and demanding that everyone bring white onesies to tiedye. Blah.

Dear Lord, how many tie-dyed onsies does one need? 

I was just thinking the SAME thing!  I wouldn't want one!  Forget having 10! 

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageEstwd2:
    I hate pay-to-play games, so I wouldn't' bring any money. Also, I only use cash maybe once every few months and I wouldn't make a special trip to the ATM for this.

Great!  This is me too!  I NEVER carry cash and our bank is online, so it would have been a big hassle.  

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I would probably decline.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    imageJNCPro3130:
    I got invited to a baby shower. nbsp;The invite asks guests to bring a few dollars to play a game. nbsp;I am assuming the money will go to the mother for baby expenses, but her registry is also listed.Is this typical? nbsp;I have only been to 1 shower before and I didn't need to bring money to it. What are your thoughts?

No..that is not typical. It's rude.
    So the ladies that don't bring money on top of their gift can't play a game? That's so tacky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"