High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Unwelcome GD Opinions/Vent

DH and I attended a child prep course yesterday.  The instructor had asked if anyone had a C-Section planned.  Nobody had.  But I said that there was an increased possibility for me with a GD diagnosis.  I thought she was asking so that she could review what to expect if you're have a C/S.

Instead, what we got was a 10 minute lecture about how I should take the diagnosis with a grain of salt.  She said that because I was told that I MAY need a C/S then, I will probably need one if I worry about it.  And that she's been doing this for 25 years and that she's seen fads come and go and this is just one of them.  And that they're diagnosing more people with GD because of this but women have been having large babies forever.  All of the children in HER family are large.  And this happened to her daughter and she was so stressed about it that she never had any contractions and needed a C/S.  So, she tells me, if my #'s are good, then not to worry about it.

I have to say, it was difficult to hear this when I've worked so hard to learn as much as I could about GD, diet, etc.  And how I had initially been in such denial about it.  But now that I've accepted it and feel comfortable with it... I get this!?

So annoying.  I just tried to take HER with a grain of salt.

Have you experienced anything like this?  Is GD a "fad?" 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Unwelcome GD Opinions/Vent

• Options
    I've never had a c section but larger baby's doesn't always mean c/s I've met plenty of people with this situation most of the time doctors will tell u things just so they can make more money off of u just don't b too worried I bet everything will b ok
  • Options

I suppose I should clarify:  I don't think that big baby = C/S.  I have no intention of having a C/S, unless completely, medically necessary.  I've hired a doula to help me to advocate for this as well.  As a FTM, I don't think I am any more scared about delivery, either vaginal or C/S, now than I was before the GD diagnosis.

My criticism of the instructor was more that she was minimizing GD when I do believe that it should be taken seriously.  If not, I think that that's when you're going to run into a greater probability of problems/risks. I thought it was a little irresponsible  on her part advising me to basically not be bothered by the GD, without knowing anything about me, family history, etc.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    GD isn't a fad. Better testing and more strict screening limits, e.g. 130 cutoff instead of 140 for the 1 hr catches 10 percent more cases of GD that the 140 missed. Also at the 3 hour many docs believe that an elevated fasting number is enough to have you start testing your BG. Less women who HAVE GD are going undiagnosed becausr of the new testing guidelines. MY GD would have gone undiagnosed if my OB didn't use 130 as a cutoff. I'm controlled by meds at this point, btw.

Also, a large baby is not the only concern with GD. Early placenta breakdown and detachment is also a concern, which is why many doctors induce women with GD at 39 or 40 weeks. There are other risks case by case as well.

I don't think that woman knew what she was talking about.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

People like that instructor are why their are SO many misconceptions about GD, and why so many women feel ashamed of their GD. I have heard comments like hers, from people IRL, on the Bump, and even a nurse in my OB's office. It makes my blood boil that people keep perpetuating all these myths about GD and putting inaccurate info out there and so many people refuse to take it seriously. 

It is absolutely not just a "fad" that people are buying into. It is a legitimate medical diagnosis. Yes, we're seeing more cases now - as PP said, due in part to better screening, more vigilance in diagnosing/treating GD, but also because as a whole our country is a lot more overweight than in previous generations, and being overweight increases the risk of GD. (But even the thinnest of moms can get it, which a lot of people also prefer to overlook.) 

Was this class through the hospital? Or any kind of medically-affiliated facility? If so, I would be reporting her comments to her supervisor. What she is doing is making women feel horrible about their GD, something completely out of their control, and perpetuating myths about GD. It's not okay, and someone needs to be made aware of it.  

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I am sorry that happened. Unless, that woman was an OB, it was not her place to dispense any sort of recommendations or criticisms regarding GD and possible plans of delivery. Keep doing what you are doing and continue to have open discussions with your provider.

GD is not a fad, but OBs are continually learning ways to diagnose it earlier and treat it accordingly, just as regular care providers are learning more ways to treat people with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. I think you should consider her opinion with a grain of salt.

The fact that her "proof" of claim came from offering her own anectdotal experience completely negates any credibility that she may have had. In the future, don't be afraid to shut these type of people down. Say "Are you a physician? Gestational diabetes educator? Midwife?" If she says no, say then I will continue to consult my OB to determine what is best for me and my baby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I went to a childbirth class at my hospital and the woman who ran it (who apparently worked at the hospital in the L&D unit) was chock full of wrong information. Sure, she knew how babies are born (thank god), but in terms of hospital procedure? She was wrong on at least 5 really important things, from securing a private room after delivery to the fact that she told me I'd be on an insulin drip through my delivery. And that I was on a HUGE amount of insulin and that would probably mean my baby would have issues with her blood sugar and would more than likely spend time in the NICU. She was wrong on every single count. No insulin during my delivery, DD's BG was perfect and she did not need any help at all and did not go to the NICU.

I do not think it is a fad, and FWIW, more women that I've spoken to who have/had GD did not have large babies in the least. Of course, they were all closely monitored, but of the people I personally know who had it, none had a large baby.

imageimage
  • Options
    I would take some time to formulate a response to her dismissal in the form of a letter, and send it to her and to whomever is running the class ie hospital, clinic, etc. Her comments are inappropriate and she should know better.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"