October 2011 Moms
Options

Screen Free Week

So Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood is sponsoring Screen Free Week next week Monday - Sunday. That means no TV, tablet or computer time for the whole family outside of work hours. E watches at least some TV every day and I know I veg out on the computer and stuff while she plays. Even so, we're going to try to go screen free as much as possible. This means that when she asks for, "Melmo!" we'll go outside instead, or read a book or do a craft which are 3 things she loves and that I can usually use to distract her. I think I'll also end the moratoriums on jumping on the bed, and finger painting (they've both ended up disastrous in the past). Finally I'm hoping a couple new toys I've ordered for her (Little People Farm & a water table) will do the trick. I'm not as worried about E as I am about myself. DH is never without some boring book in his hand so he'll come through with flying colors. But we're taking the plunge. 

Am I crazy? Definitely. Will I fail? Probably. Anyone want to join us? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Screen Free Week

• Options
    I could do this for DS since he really doesn't get much screen time each day. For me that's a different story. I'm sure I could make it through if I really tried, but I have zero desire to. Maybe I'll try to cut back and be screen free anytime DS is awake. I can handle that.
  • Options
    While I admire what you do there...nope. The kids don't care about tv in the slightest, but I really don't want to cut it out. And asking DH wouldn't go well either.

Good luck to you though!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tried and failed during spring break
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Options
    imagecrystaladult:
    I would fail. I probably couldn't go a day. The internet is my getaway from tantrums. V doesn't really have much screen time, so she wouldn't miss it.

This! All this! B could care less if the TV was on or off, he wouldn't notice he was missing it. I however I need to use the Internet and mindless tv to give my brain a chance to shut off. That probay sounds bad, but I don't care!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

You couldn't pry my iPad out of my hands in the evenings.

Plus my DH would laugh if I suggested this.

Maybe when E is older if I see it as an "issue" that needs addressed.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like pure torture if you ask me. Especially now that I'm stuck on the couch for a while. Good luck, though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We're going to try it with some exceptions. I'll be on the computer at work but we're going to avoid it at home except for stuff we need to do that's on there.  We don't watch tv but spend too much time on computers, so we're going to approach it like a "diet"

I'd love to hear how it goes for you in the end!

• Options

OMG have I already failed! We had E's 18 month check up today and even though she's all on target for vax, she needed to have a routine blood draw to check for anemia. Well we had to hold her down, she threw a fit, and now she's surly, and won't nap. She just wants to sit on Daddy's lap and veg out. Enter TV. 

Maybe we'll try thing again another time. Thanks to everyone who even considered doing this with me! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"