Special Needs
Options

Looking for suggestions

DS will most likely qualify for EI preschool in the fall. We'd like to start working with him at home in the meantime before services start since the fall is so far off. I'm looking for some suggestions on games or home programs that we could do with him to help social skills, echolalia, attention span with structured tasks and eye contact. We're seeing our developmental pedi next week and hoping she will be able to recommend a good private option but I'm not sure how much of that we will be able to afford. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Looking for suggestions

• Options
    I know that the Head Start program now starts at birth so you could look into that. DS has a case worker that comes to our house about once a week to work with him through HS and we don't have to pay anything out of pocket. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you're just looking for games and ideas for activities, I'd look here: 

https://sites.google.com/site/autismgames/

Reading one of Greenspan's Floortime/DIR books may be useful for you, as well.

If you're looking for advice on a more formal private therapy program, we did RDI (Relationship Development Intervention) for a year with my DD1, who has autism. It's primarily focused on working with a trained professional for a minimal amount of time on assignments/activities that you then carry out with your child at home. We would do an hour a week, or once every two weeks, and then videotape interactions at home and assess them. Their online site (which you get access to as part of the RDI program) has a ton of resources and ideas, which I found very helpful. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks lite-bright. That site is quite helpful.

Sorry if I was not clear. Yes, I am talking about my 32 month old son. He is going through the full Child Find eval process now and we are fairly certain we are going to get an ASD diagnosis. The evaluators told us they believe he will qualify for therapies and special preschool in the Fall. Our team meeting is in June with the IEP meeting in July. We're hoping there are things we can do in the meantime to work with him on his issues with structured tasks and speech (including delayed echolalia). The SLP and psychologist also mentioned working with him at home on eye-contact. I had no idea that it was controversial in the ASD community. 

• Options
    I will definitely look into Floortime. Thanks for the suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"