December 2012 Moms
Options

Scary Post-Pregnancy Issue

So I had a couple moles pop up/ change during pregnancy. When I went to the dermatologist they did a full body exam and decided to remove the ones that had changed or appeared during my pregnancy. THANK GOODNESS I went and got checked when I did because one of them was diagnosed as "Melanoma In Situ" which means there were cancerous cells found on the surface layers of the skin (basically Stage 0). I have to get more of the area removed so it can be examined so we are positive it has not spread. Needless to say it's been a rough week or so!!

Ladies, if you had any skin changes during your pregnancy please go and get checked out! I hadn't been to the dermatologist in years before this check-up. Thanks to mommyhood and wanting to be around for my LO for years to come I bit the bullet and am I ever glad that I did!! 

photo MeandBubs.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Scary Post-Pregnancy Issue

• Options
    Thanks for the reminder...  My mother was diagnosed with that 10 years ago and has to go in periodically to check everything. I'm supposed to get checked often too because of the close relation but haven't in years. Make sure you sunscreen your LO often when you can. The dr told my mom it was from sun exposure as a kid. Good luck with everything!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options
    I need to make an appointment too.  My SIL ended up with melanoma after her last baby.  It actually spread into her lymph nodes.  She is doing great now, thank God, but it is nothing to mess around with.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder. I have 'things' cut off regularly. I'm really prone to odd moles and such, but have been so lucky to only have some come back abnormal. I'll call tomorrow and make an appointment.

Good luck, and thanks again for the reminder!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have to be around a loooong time for our LO's! Good luck to all of you ladies!
    photo MeandBubs.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, I moved and missed a few derm appointments, and finally called and made a new appointment about a month ago - of course the first appointment I could get was in JULY!!  Oh well, at least I am going!  I hope they don't find anything!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thank you so much for posting this!  I don't really post on here much but I lurk a Iot. I had a very similar scary experience.  When I was pregnant with my 5 month old I noticed 2 moles had changed, they were darker.  One was on my upper arm, the other was on my left breast.  When I was about 8 months pregnant I had them removed.  I found out the one on my breast was melanoma in-situ, and the one on my arm was stage 1 melanoma.  It was 1.1 mm deep which meant I would have to have surgery to check my lymph nodes to see if it spread.  It was an absolute nightmare.  I was very pregnant and of course hormonal and I had to wait until after my daughter was born for them to check my lymph nodes.  It was a very scary time.  

After I delivered my dd (Nov 30), I had the lymph node surgery 10 days later.  Shortly after surgery I got the good news that it had not spread.  Huge relief!  Now I go to the dermatologist every 4 months for full body checks.  I have had 5 more moles removed and a few have been pre-cancerous, but not melanoma.  

Melanoma rates are really rising with young women, it is so scary.  If you notice any changes in size or color go get them checked out.  The earlier these things are caught the outlook is much better.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"