Baby Names

Reese for a boy?

I love the name Reece for a boy but I know it's trended toward a female name lately. I like it for two reasons

1 I grew up with an old man neighbor named Reece Day that was like a grandpa and so sweet

2 It means runner which my husband and I have joked since our sonos that our baby was like a little runner because he wiggles so much.

So my question is it ok as a boy and for a boy should it be spelled differently?? Reis? Rhys?

Thank you all so much!!!

Re: Reese for a boy?

• Rhys would be my first choice.

Reece looks more masculine than Reese to me, but I'm not sure why.

• when I hear reese I think of witherspoon which is girly. I agree though that reece looks more manly. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekaylynne:
    Rhys would be my first choice.Reece looks more masculine than Reese to me, but I'm not sure why.

I agree.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• It's definitely a boy's name to me!  I also prefer the traditional Welsh spelling, Rhys.
    Met my soul mate October 2011 ~ Married August 2012

BFP September 2013 ~ Our baby boy is due May 2014

• I love it, when spelled Rhys.
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I think of Reese/Reece/Rhys as an exclusively male name, which it certainly is in the UK. I've seen the name spelled all three ways several times but I think my order of preference for spelling is Reece, Rhys, Reese.

In reference to the meaning though, most reputable sources cite it as 'enthusiasm'. There was a post about this a week or two ago and the poster said she got the meaning from The Bump. I don't think TB's information is accurate in this case. Try www.behindthename.com if accurate meanings are important to you. Your little guy could still be showing enthusiasm though, right?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I love Reece for a boy, but definitely Reece/Rhys spellings.
  • The original masculine name Rhys is awesome!
  • I prefer Rhys.

I agree with the previous post about the meaning. I do believe it means Enthusiasm.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My friends son is named Reese and I think it's a masculine and great name!
  • imagestrawberrytree:
    I think of Reese/Reece/Rhys as an exclusively male name, which it certainly is in the UK. I've seen the name spelled all three ways several times but I think my order of preference for spelling is Reece, Rhys, Reese.
    Exactly
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a student named Rhys. As masculine as they come! I never made a Reese Witherspoon connection, but if it were spelled Reese or Reece I may have.
  • Definitely Rhys for a boy. While I do love this name, I tend to associate it more with a girl now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageMozzy24:
    I love Reece for a boy, but definitely Reece/Rhys spellings.

This. 

Dating: Jul.2003 | Married: Jul.2006
    BFP: Dec.2007 | DD: Aug.2008
    TTC #2: Dec.2011 | Done?: Aug.2013
  • I love Rhys, and it is all boy to me, but I admit I have a son with this name. He had a best friend in his preschool class called Reis, also a boy. It's a great boy's name with a long history. 
  • I only know one Reese and its a boy, so I usually think boy when I hear this name. I do like the spelling Rhys though for a boy. 

• I like the spellings in this order: Rhys, Reese, Reece.

Reese Witherspoon's name is her mother's maiden name. Her real name is Laura Jean Reese Witherspoon. She's also from the south, where using maiden names/family surnames as first names for both sexes is very common. So I don't think just because this one female celebrity has the name that it makes it "girly." I know a girl from the South named Stuart (I think it's her middle name, technically). I would never say that makes it unisex. 

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I had a great Uncle Reece, so it's odd to me that its a girl name now. I love Reece for a boy!

• hmp1hmp1 member
    It was on our list for #2. We couldn't agree on a spelling though. Rhys was a little too different for us and I was worried about him always having to spell his name for people or help people pronounce it. But even with Reese/Reece there was not a clear cut way people would normally spell it so we crossed it off our list. But I do really like the name for a boy.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1hmp1 member
    imagemsmerymac:

Reese Witherspoon's name is her mother's maiden name. Her real name is Laura Jean Reese Witherspoon. She's also from the south, where using maiden names/family surnames as first names for both sexes is very common. So I don't think just because this one female celebrity has the name that it makes it "girly." I know a girl from the South named Stuart (I think it's her middle name, technically). I would never say that makes it unisex. 

I would never say one celebrity makes a name unisex. But the fact is that Reese/Reece/Rhys is in the 100's for girl names and 400's for boy names. That makes it unisex.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• imagehmp&mrj:
    imagemsmerymac:

I would never say one celebrity makes a name unisex. But the fact is that Reese/Reece/Rhys is in the 100's for girl names and 400's for boy names. That makes it unisex.

I think the popularity of Reese Witherspoon had something to do with its rise in popularity for girl names here in the US, but I try not to hold it against her.  :)

Rhys for a boy has been gaining "popularity" in the US over the last few years, meaning it has dropped from the 800s when I was looking at it six yrs ago to the 400's now on the SS name list. It is very well known/used in the UK, Ireland, and Australia (top 50-100 name for boys) -- people there think it is crazy that it is being used as a girl's name over here. 

• Reese witherspoons real name is Laura Jeanne Reese Witherspoon. Her mothers maiden name was Reese. So, I feel it doesn't count as her name. I always liked the name Reese for a boy. It has always felt like a boy name to me and I always thought it was an odd name for a girl.
  • Kate070 said:
    It's definitely a boy's name to me!  I also prefer the traditional Welsh spelling, Rhys.
    Agreed!
    image image

• I love this name for a male, it's a lot more masculine to me. I don't care for it on girls.
    But unlike the majority, I don't care for Rhys at all.  I like Reece/Reese.
  • I love Reece! It was on my short list, but DH vetoed it because you can't tell when saying the name if it's a boy or girl. (Like Erin/Aaron). I hate that so many boy names have been taken over by the girls.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Reese is what we plan to name this baby if it is a girl. I do like the name for a boy too but prefer Rhys as the spelling so that it is clear that it is a boy. It just seems more masculine to me 
    I actually know a girl with Reece spelling. For whatever reason I don't like it spelled with a C for either sex. 
    Resse for a girl and Rhys for a boy, that's just my opinion. 
  • I'm a big fan of Rhys <--spelled this way.

• I don't like this name on boy or girl..i just don't get the love
  • Reese is my DD1's name. I view it as a girl name obviously
  • I love the name but spelled Rhys!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love Rhys, and it is all boy to me 

This.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Love Rhys.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I love Rhys for a boy and wish I could use it too but my BFF named her DD Reese. =(  I like the Rhys spelling.
    TTC #1 since Sept 2011
    Me: 33, DH: 35, DX: PCOS & MFI (low everything)
    IUI #1-3 - Low Post-Wash Counts - All BFNs
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI: Long Lupron Protocol - Freeze-All Cycle due to Severe OHSS
    ER 4/27, 33 Eggs Retrieved, 13 Frosties
    FET #1 6/5, Transferred One Perfect 4AA Blast, HPT BFP @ 6dp5dt
    Beta #1 - 209, Beta #2 - 508, Beta #3 - 1,059
    EDD 2/20/14
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I really like Rhys for a boy.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I agree with everyone saying Reese seems feminine and Reece and Rhys are masculine.  I also like Rhys the most. 
  • I like it, with any of the spellings, for a boy.
  • I don't understand why people see this as a girl's name. It made me sad that you had to add "for a boy" in the title.

anyway, I'd go with Rhys, maybe Reese. I strongly dislike the spelling Reece. 
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • I have it on my boys name list but spelled: Reece.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Rhys is the most obvious masculine spelling for this name.

We can squabble over whether Reese is Reese Witherspoon's "real" name, but it's what she goes by, and her celebrity has obviously made it a very popular choice for girls.

You can spell the name how you want, but I think taking a cue from our current culture (by avoiding the Reese/Reece spelling for a boy) would avoid confusion for him in the long run.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"