Working Moms

Question for those with a nanny

Previously we just paid our nannies hourly.  Our new nanny (who is starting tomorrow) emailed me asking about how we are planning on handling PTO, paid vacation, etc. Do you give your nanny paid time off, paid vacation, holiday pay, etc,? If so, how much? 

EDIT: Also, if you do PTO, how does it accrue?  Holidays are pretty straightforward. But if you give other days, do you just say "You have 5 paid vacation days a year" or do you say "you accrue 1 vacation day a month for every month you work"? 

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Question for those with a nanny

• We give our Nanny 3 paid sick and 5 days paid vaca plus all bank holidays. We do have it accrue based on her hours per week.
    Missed m/c discovered 11.30.09 at 9w2d DS Born 10.26.10 Missed m/c discovered 11.7.11 at 8w3d Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • We give our nanny all holidays (that we have off) and all of our vacation time as paid. In addition, we gave her 5 days of PTO. Any other days she needs off, will go unpaid.  I try and give her lots of advanced notice on our vacations so that she can plan to do things with her days off (we get 21 days off, which I think is a lot). I didn't do any formal accruing for it, just gave it up front. In the last 9ish months she has used 3 days, so it worked out about the same as if she had accrued it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    BFP#1 10/11/11 - DD born 6/6/12;   
    BFP#2  7/6/13 - Due 3/8/13, MMC at 12w  D&C on 8/31/13;    
    BFP #3  11/26/13 - Due 8/6/14
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Our nanny officially gets 2 weeks off, one of our choosing and one of her choosing.  In reality, she gets more than that because I get a decent amount of vacation time.  I also give her 3 sick days.  She gets all of our paid holidays off as well.   We don't accrue the days...they're available up front.   I certainly am not going to wait to take a vacation based on how much vacation time she's accrued, and it would seem silly to just apply it towards the 5 days of her choosing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am pretty similar- We give our nanny all holidays that we get off and all of our vacation time as paid. In addition, we gave her 5 days of PTO. I also give her a 5 days of sick time.  
  • imageStrunella:
    Our nanny officially gets 2 weeks off, one of our choosing and one of her choosing.  In reality, she gets more than that because I get a decent amount of vacation time.  I also give her 3 sick days.  She gets all of our paid holidays off as well.   We don't accrue the days...they're available up front.   I certainly am not going to wait to take a vacation based on how much vacation time she's accrued, and it would seem silly to just apply it towards the 5 days of her choosing.

This is our exact plan with our nanny.  It has worked out great so far.  She has taken one extra day so far in the last 1.5 years, and we have just allowed her to take it unpaid.

• We pay her for the weeks I have off (I teach), so she got three weeks paid vacation (two for Xmas break, one for spring break). I think we gave her five paid sick days, which she has used (she started in October). We also pay her for unexpected days off (if we cancel on her).
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• FWIW -- I would think through the bank holiday thing.

You may want your nanny around a few minor holidays when you are "off" but might need to still be working.  MLK, President's Day, etc.

On the other hand, promising 10 days off of your choosing might be an easy give.  We always take at least that much vacation. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • She gets DH's holidays (federal) plus 1-2 weeks paid.  She rarely takes off so we basically let her have off what she wants.  We've never not paid her. 

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • We give our nanny two weeks off paid per year and all the holidays we have off
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"