Newbie (to this board) with some questions — The Bump
Secondary IF

Newbie (to this board) with some questions

Hello ladies...I have some questions.  This time around in our IF journey I have taken both Clomid and Femara and have not responded at all.  My RE has decided it's time to move on to injectibles.
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Newbie (to this board) with some questions

  • Oops! Hit enter too fast. there anyone here who did not respond at all to Clomid or Femara but had success with injectibles?  Also, I checked with my insurance and they cover 3 cycles of IUI and/or IVF in a lifetime.  I'm torn as to what to do about that.  I'm not sure if I should try this first round of injectibles with timed intercourse first or go straight to the IUI.  And if I choose to go straight to IUI and it doesn't work...would you go for another IUI or just go to IVF?  So many decisions to make...I was just curious what others thought.


    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't respond to Clomid or femara but have my DS and angel DS2 from Iui injectables. If my insurance covered ivf, I would be doing ivf as it is much more expensive. And for most, higher success rates. You have great insurance coverage!
  • Loading the player...
  • Also if you decide to do injectables and not ivf, I would do it with Iui. It will get the sperm closer to where they need to go = .
  • I did not respond to Clomid.  But I did injectables and we have a DS.  I think I had two IUI's.  The time we were successful we did not get the message until it was too late to go in for the IUI, but just did it ourselves.  I would give the IUI's a couple of rounds, I think most people suggest at least three rounds before moving to IVF.  

    Question about insurance is it 3 IUI's and then 3 IVF's?  You said and/or and if it is only 1 or the other, I would talk to RE before making the decision.  If it is only 3 of either, I would do the injectables with nothing to see if that helps first. 

  • It is on 3 total between the two, not 3 of each. (Seems a little odd to me, but whatever.) What you suggested is what I am thinking of doing.  Doing the first round of injectibles with timed intercourse and if that doesn't work try at least one IUI.  When I got pregnant with DS, I was on Clomid, however, based on a blood test, I supposedly did not ovulate.  I took the progesterone to make me start and I never did.  Took a pregnancy test and it was positive.  I did not have any u/s that month so I think the blood test was just done too early and I ovulated late in the cycle.  I was hoping that would happen again, however, this time around I have been monitored closely with no such luck. I'm hoping the injectibles do the trick and we get our BFP soon.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I haven't used injectibles, just wanted to say welcome and good luck.  If I were in your shoes and had IUI and IVF coverage, I would probably go straight to IVF, or maybe try one cycle of injectables and IUI, and then go to IVF.  Your odds are so much better than TI.  You are so lucky to have IVF coverage!

    Me: 42. DH: 46.

    1st Pregnancy: MC, 11/19/00.

    2nd Pregnancy: DS born 04/10/06.

    3rd Pregnancy: CP, 03/11.

    4th Pregnancy: MMC, D&C 11/30/11, Genetic testing revealed Trisomy 4.

    5th Pregnancy: Ectopic, 2 doses of Methotrexate unsuccessful, surgery 4/10/12, right tube removed.

    Tried Letrozole January 2013-July 2013 (including 2 IUIs), all BFN.  After 2 1/2 years of trying for child #2, decided to "give up" after July cycle, based on AMA.

    August 16, 2013:  BFP our first month of "not trying!"  Still in shock.  Beta #1 (14dpo): 183.  Beta #2 (17dpo):  611.  Ultrasound 8/30/13: baby measured 6 weeks, 1 day, heart rate of 118 bpm! 
    Ultrasound 9/13/13:  8 weeks, heart rate of 176!
    Baby is due 4/26/14

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    BabyFruit Ticker

  • With DS, I didn't respond to Clomid but injectables + IUI worked the first try. We weren't so luck ttc'ing #2 so now we're moving on with IVF. I'm not sure if they recommend TI with injectables but I guess that's up to you and your RE. I would try a round of IUI first and then switching to IVF. Knowing what to expect with the needles helped me make the transition to the plethora of needles for IVF. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MPZ born June 2011
    TTC #2 ... Cycle 1-3: IUI = BFN | Cycle 4: IVF ... canceled but 3 snow babies
    Cycle 5: FET .. BFP! | EDD - 3/15/2014
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • i would def go for one round of iui then move to ivf
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards