Adoption
Options

hello new to board

Hi,

I've been lurking for a few weeks and wanted to say hi. We are officially home study approved and are looking for support and ideas. I worked so hard to get all the paperwork done and now I don't know what to do with myself. I want to start to buy baby things but worry if it doesn't happen. I guess these are all common feelings but I'm a planner and wish I knew when it would happen.

Thanks for listening!

Re: hello new to board

• Options
    Hi, and welcome! Congrats on getting home study approved. That's a big step! I know what you mean about the planning. I'm a planner too, and the unknown of it all gets to me sometimes. I'm pretty new here myself, but I have found the folks on this board to be incredibly supportive and helpful, and open to any questions at all. GL on your journey!
  • Options

Welcome!

When we were waiting, I took comfort in getting everything ready - nursery, diapers, clothing, etc. It will happen, the unknown is when :)

I became a mother because of adoption. She is the absolute love of my life. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker formerly known as sw_in_kc
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went ahead and bought all the things we would need immediately if we had a call that needed us to leave ASAP. We painted the nursery, bought a crib, changing table, bottles, onesies, noise machine, pack n play and car seat. We toured daycares and put a deposit down on one. We also took a infant care class and lined up a pediatrician. I figure that it will happen someday, so might as well be prepared! My close friends are actually having a shower for me today (We have not been matched yet). Originally, I was hesitant about that, but I figure, it will happen and we DO need stuff before. It's just close friends, the other showers with family, co-workers and neighbors will be after the baby comes home. 
    Domestic Adoption-Activated January 29th, 2013. Trying to be patient. The journey: http://perpetuallyupsidedown.tumblr.com/
  • Options

welcome!  You should buy when you want to Smile some people want to enjoy this as if it was their pregnancy, others want to be cautious and just wait.

We bought big stuff while waiting like car seat, stroller, crib, high chair etc. But nothing really like clothing or anything small.  But that's just us!

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    IRRIRR member
    Welcome, what kind of an adoption are you pursuing? We bought stuff and then had to return it after a failed adoption, this time we are waiting until we get the call, but we do have a bunch of hand me downs from family, so we are set to go when we get the final word our LO is waiting for us.  GL.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

Thank you for the welcome and supportive thoughts! I think we are going to buy little things but nothing big. We are pursuing a Domestic adoption and are very open. I'm nervous and excited about it all.

Thanks again!

• Options

Welcome!

Whenever I want to purchase anything for our child (without knowing the specific age or gender yet since we're still waiting to be matched), I always buy a fun kids book.  I'm a BIG reader (I have like a thousand books--the poor guys who helped us move them were like, "Read much, Kirsten?" haha), and I want to instill a love of learning and reading into our children.  It's just something little and fun that I can do and then--our child will already be started with a big library!

I'm a dance studio owner, writer, cat mommy, and adventuress who is married to the man of her dreams. My husband and I have had a long-time dream to adopt and it's happening in a way that we didn't quite anticipate. But, like any move of God, it's turning out way better than we expected. We'd love for you to follow our story at www.kirstenkline.com!
  • Options

Hello, and welcome!

I don't believe in jinxing things, but my husband is more superstitious, so we barely bought anything until we were matched.  Once we started the process, I was sure we'd have our children eventually, so I was raring to go.

Really, it just comes down to what you are both comfortable with.  If you don't think you can buy things for the baby, what about taking this time to put together a registry (so you can just buy everything when you are ready) or plan out how you want to parent, things you want to do with your child, how you want to dress him/her, etc.?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"