Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Sleeping through the night

Hi everyone, just was wondering if any of your babies are sleeping through the night yet? My son is 7 months old today and I put him to bed between 6:30-7:30, but he still wakes up in the middle of the night, usually around 3:30-4:00 and gets a 6-8 oz. bottle and goes right back to sleep and wakes up at 6:30 am. Shouldn't he be sleeping through the night by now? This is my first baby and I'm not sure. OR when did your kids start to sleep through the night?

Thanks! 

Re: Sleeping through the night

• I think some babies go a full year or more without STTN, especially EBF babies. Every baby is different. My guy still wakes to eat twice each night.
    -LJ
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay, thanks. He was BF until he was 3 months, now he's on formula. I don't mind waking up with him, I'm used to it now so I usually wake up a few minutes before he does. I was just curious because everyone I talk to asks me if he's sleeping through the night yet, and it made me think if maybe he should be by now.

• Loading the player...
  • Just ignore people. Every baby is different and only waking once is great! You are doing a great job. He will STTN when he's ready.
  • imagejessika715:

Okay, thanks. He was BF until he was 3 months, now he's on formula. I don't mind waking up with him, I'm used to it now so I usually wake up a few minutes before he does. I was just curious because everyone I talk to asks me if he's sleeping through the night yet, and it made me think if maybe he should be by now.

I know what you mean. I honestly think people just have no idea what else to ask haha and assume that if he's STTN then everything is going well. I've just accepted that they're going to ask and usually answer that he's a consistent sleeper and then I change the subject!

-LJ
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • agreed! the "does he sleep through the night question" makes me wonder why my LO isn't.  I've decided this is an annoying question and people like to give advice on it so its best to just avoid it. 

my LO is still BF and wakes up 1-2 times per night. he eats and goes right back to sleep so though I'm tired, I'm used to the routine and ok with it. 

i asked the pediatrician if he should be sleeping through the night, and he right away said "no - he's a growing boy, mom and dad aren't small people, so he's going to want to eat and thats ok" - -- so i've got my justification and don't expect anything different! 

• My baby's pediatrician actually told me that my little guy should be sleeping through the night by now. My son is 6 months old and still wakes up twice a night to eat. Pedia says it's a bad habit and I should stop it. o_O But seriously, I can't stand hearing my baby cry. Don't worry, you are not alone!
  • My baby is almost 6.5 months and his pedi did say he should be STTN.  And I get a LOT of crap from coworkers about him not STTN.  We did after our 6month appointment though move his crib out of our room into a second bedroom.  This has cut down his awakenings to just 1-2x/night - amazing!  We are sleep training now so I am hoping to cut down to just once at night.  But even the pedi agreed that if your LO doesn't STTN and you don't mind it, then you don't have to do anything about it.  I am just exhausted with 3-4 awakenings so that is why we are sleep training to get it to once a night.  Lofty goal but I am hopeful!
  • Every baby is so different.  My DD woke 2-3 times every night until she was 1.  My DS has been STTN since he was 7 weeks.  it's amazing how different they all are.  But one time a night is not bad at all.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel the exact same way! At least once every day someone asks me if he is, it's getting pretty annoying actually lol, I'm at the point where I want to just say yes he's sleeping through the night!!  We don't go back to the doctors for a little bit, but I will ask him and see what he says next time.

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad I'm not alone :)

• My 7 1/2 month old also wakes up once a night. If he doesn't nap an hour before his bedtime or not enough nap time during the day, then he sleeps without waking up in the middle of the night. We consider those as breaks for us. However, I am still in the habit waking up around 3ish or 4ish to check on him.
  • My DS(2) is just about 6months and was STTN most nights up until recently when we started trying to break him of the swaddle. Now he's waking around 2/3am and ends up eating. Hang in there, it'll get better...
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Sorry to say, but my DD didn't sleep through the night until she was 2 years old (and this was with trying CIO). She was a very fussy baby, though, and I think the majority of kids STTN by 1 year. My 7-month-old still wakes up 1-3 times/night. I'm not worried about it... Some STTN from 6 weeks on, some take a little longer. I can't wait until the day my DS STTN, though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"